Master Chef Dinner and offensive boors

SAN415

Although I never participated in a MCD, from everyhting I read it looks like my plan to dine in the Canaletto as we dock in Victoria and then off to the Empress for drinks and a stroll might not be a bad idea.

Hi sapete...you may want to consider Canaletto and book for the night before Victoria. Last year on this same cruise, they had the MCD on the sea day prior to Victoria. I guess the reason was people would be off the ship during the dinner hour when docked there so why bother - have it when you have a capitve audience instead ;)

In any case, this last MCD on the Oosterdam (early March) was very low key with very little hoopla with the exception of the vegetable juggling which was according to script. The menu however is the same as stated here and it was actually quite delicious I thought. So no matter what, enjoy The "O" and have a great time in Alaska :)

I just feel so sad for those who have never given the MCD a chance because of all the negativity by some of our fellow Cruise Critic Members:(

At least try it one time, then if you do not like it, do not do it again. But do not be so negative about it. IT AIN'T Bad people!!

Joanie

In my recent Oosterdam cruise, it seemed everyone around me was having a great time in the MCD, with everyone clapping and waving their napkins around, though I do not recall seeing chef hats worn by any passengers. I freely admit that I had a great time as well. There was no rude behavior from the other passengers around me. The crew seemed to enjoy themselves as well.

I had originally refrained from posting on this thread because of the negative tone this thread has taken. However, I felt compelled to reply to Joanie's post as I agree 100%. I'm just glad that I haven't encountered such threads prior to my cruise. I will refrain further from posting on this thread.

Great videos Joanie - thank you! I loved the napkin ballet as did my kids [we were all wondering where our napkins were!].

Sometimes, its nice for grownups to enjoy life through the eyes of a child. We can let ourselves be silly and enjoy life, if we want to.

LOL-us too. My brother asked our steward if they had forgotten them, he just smiled and said "wait".

Don't understand all the complaining about the MCD. We enjoyed the dinner and everyone around us joined in and had a great time. The service and food were fine If you're going to be grumpy and complain then you should eat elsewhere and be respectful to the waiters who are trying hard to serve and entertain.

Don't understand all the complaining about the MCD. We enjoyed the dinner and everyone around us joined in and had a great time. The service and food were fine If you're going to be grumpy and complain then you should eat elsewhere and be respectful to the waiters who are trying hard to serve and entertain.

I agree, if you don't like it don't go. My main complaint was that I just didn't like the menu choices they had, and missed my "available every day" french onion soup.

I agree, if you don't like it don't go. My main complaint was that I just didn't like the menu choices they had, and missed my "available every day" french onion soup.

Our waiter was amazing and we always managed to get stuff that wasn't on the menu, minor things ~ but still. They do make a point of telling you the night before MCD to be on time. I'm wondering if at that time, you said to your dining steward "Can you please make sure I have the NY Steak and the Caesar Salad and the FO Soup tomorrow?", if they would accomodate you? My guess is if they know your request ahead of time, they'll move H&E to accomodate you.

Our waiter was amazing and we always managed to get stuff that wasn't on the menu, minor things ~ but still. They do make a point of telling you the night before MCD to be on time. I'm wondering if at that time, you said to your dining steward "Can you please make sure I have the NY Steak and the Caesar Salad and the FO Soup tomorrow?", if they would accomodate you? My guess is if they know your request ahead of time, they'll move H&E to accomodate you.

I bet they would have. For some reason, we didn't know about the MCD. They didn't say anything the night before and I missed any mention of it. So, that's our fault. I know they really tried hard to make sure we had what we wanted, bring special things for my niece as you said.

Lesson learned for the next cruise. And there will be a next one(and a next one, and a next one...)

Now that I love hearing and singing/clapping along to!:)

(I keep thinking they're singing "Santa Moorea - Santa Moorea...")

:o

...Of course the big difference between singing this and the MCD show is that this only takes a minute - and it's someone's Birthday.

They're singing "In de Gloria" "In de Gloria" in Dutch - In the Glory;)

For what it's worth, I've done seven cruises on HAL (including Collectors' Cruises and a Grand Voyage), and never once have I seen the wait staff juggling anything! I always enjoy the MCD, despite a more limited menu. It's a chance for the dining stewards to say farewell and for the passengers to say thanks for a job well done. The wait staff all appears to be enjoying themselves, and I for one am happy to be there to cheer them on and show my appreciation to them. They work so hard to make everything perfect for the passengers, and this provides a great chance for passengers to reciprocate with their enthusiasm. If you don't enjoy it, make sure you do opt out so the festive spirit isn't dampened for for those who do enjoy it! Call me weird, but the MCD, along with "Love in Any Language" at the disembarkation talk, always chokes me up!

................ Call me weird, but the MCD, along with "Love in Any Language" at the disembarkation talk, always chokes me up!

That's not weird at all! I've seen pax in the audience with tears in their eyes when they hear "Love in any language"

Now that I love hearing and singing/clapping along to!:)

(I keep thinking they're singing "Santa Moorea - Santa Moorea...")

:o

...Of course the big difference between singing this and the MCD show is that this only takes a minute - and it's someone's Birthday.

LOL!

The words the Indonesian staff are singing are:

Panjang umurnya

Panjang umurnya

Panjang umurnya serta mulia

Serta mulia

Serta mulia

And then they repeat, often faster, all the while clapping.

Here it is being sung by Indonesian children (the link posted earlier was broken):

The tune it is sung to is the Dutch "long life" song also referenced and linked to above, and here:

The kids were singing:

Lang zal hij leven

Lang zal hij leven

Lang zal hij leven In de Gloria

In de Gloria

In de Gloria

Which, according to my dismally poor 1 semester of Dutch, means something like:

We hope he lives long

We hope he lives long

We hope he lives long in happiness

in happiness

in happiness

We were just on the NA for 2 weeks and it seemed to me that most of the waitstaff had a blast at the MCD and it was a lot of fun! There was no juggling, no chef hats and the same number of choices on the menu as any other night.

We made a lot of noise in appreciation of their hard work and there were a sea of smiles and clapping hands in the MDR. I did not see anyone who looked less than pleased to be there!

My final thoughts to this MCD thread which I am so grateful that the OP started is this:

So many of us here on Cruise Critic read many, if not all of the threads.

We may read things that we either agree or disagree with, but we tend to not speak up for something in order to either protect ourselves from being flamed, made fun of or just do not feel that we are qualified to speak up for or against.

I think that this thread has definitely shown us that the MAJORITY of Cruise Critic members posting to this thread are in agreement that MCD is fun and is something that we hope will be continued by HAL for many more years:)

I know that some feel the menu is limited, but in my opinion it is perfect for me. While it might not be perfect for others, everyone has their own opinions, but as long as we do have MCD for many more years I will be happy.

For those of you who disagree and intensely dislike MCD, I hope that you enjoy your dinner in another venue and wish you well. But I do ask of you this one thing... Please stop denigrating the MCD so badly. After all, for many of you it has been years since you have tried it, give it another chance. You might just be surprised:)

Joanie

My final thoughts to this MCD thread which I am so grateful that the OP started is this:

So many of us here on Cruise Critic read many, if not all of the threads.

We may read things that we either agree or disagree with, but we tend to not speak up for something in order to either protect ourselves from being flamed, made fun of or just do not feel that we are qualified to speak up for or against.

I think that this thread has definitely shown us that the MAJORITY of Cruise Critic members posting to this thread are in agreement that MCD is fun and is something that we hope will be continued by HAL for many more years:)

I know that some feel the menu is limited, but in my opinion it is perfect for me. While it might not be perfect for others, everyone has their own opinions, but as long as we do have MCD for many more years I will be happy.

For those of you who disagree and intensely dislike MCD, I hope that you enjoy your dinner in another venue and wish you well. But I do ask of you this one thing... Please stop denigrating the MCD so badly. After all, for many of you it has been years since you have tried it, give it another chance. You might just be surprised:)

Joanie

Well said. On our last cruise, we had missed the lobster & steak dinner the night before, when we ate at the Pinnacle Grill (which was a disaster, but that's another story) and our waiter got our party of 4 lobster and steak dinners on the MCD night, because he knew how much we liked it. And it was also our chance to say how much we appreciated all he had done for us through the week. He actually did say that he didn't particularly enjoy the MCD, but our wine waiter and the assistant waiter said they loved it and enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere with the guests.

Joanie

Well, all the posters on this thread were in favor of good manners anyway. I disagree with your assessment that the "MAJORITY of Cruise Critic members posting to this thread are in agreement that MCD is fun and is something that we hope will be continued by HAL for many more years." Judging from the comments, I make it 14 to 8 against the Master Chef's Dinner.

For:

SAN415

Linda&Vern

Cruisin'Lady

Copper10-8

IRL_Joannie

taxmantoo

Cruising-along, "Thankfully most of the people I've witnessed are genuinely having a good time."

Lucyspoileddog, "our party still managed to have a very nice evening..."

Against:

SwissMyst, "HAL also needs to rethink this Master Chef dinner..."

gentlemancruiser, "We've since avoided it all together."

peaches from georgia, "You'd think by this time HAL would have scraped the whole idea."

iancal, "We don't particularly enjoy it so we make alternate arrangements."

3rdGenCunarder, "I guess it's obvious that I dislike the MCD."

mama4v3, "We may want to dine elsewhere."

Osmosis Jones, "I find it uncomfortable, so simple don't go..."

RevNeal, "I am one of those who doesn't particularly like the Master Chef Dinner..."

FLACRUISER99, "can MCD foolishness be avoided"

Lady Chew, "Next cruise we'll know to avoid this evening altogether. "

Oceanwench, "I'll sit through it because I don't want to miss the last night in the MDR."

WhansaMi, "I'm sure that no one can tell that I could really do without the event."

Cruiser Bill, "Many of us did not care for the menu or ceremonies.."

Sapper1, "Having said that, it would not break my heart if there were no MCD, on our upcoming cruise."

If I have misinterpreted anyone's position we can have a recount and I apologize. Opinions on this thread are similar to those voiced in a 2010 poll (64% voted to cancel): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1168999

We've never experienced a MCD, but we've always found the baked Alaska night enjoyable. As long as they offer at least two alternatives (one of which isn't lamb) to the inevitable seafood, I suspect I can make do with the limited menu.

Earlier on the day of the MCD we'll consult the menu posted outside the MDR. If the menu isn't satisfactory, we'll dine somewhere else.

Oceanwench, Sorry I have been busy so have not had a lot of time to spend here. I think you didn't understand.

"When you vent on here, I understand , its your opinion, and I actually like to read opinions of other people. And often a lively opinionated conversation is nice, in the right setting. "

When I posted that section I meant exactly what I wrote. Opinions are a good thing in the right setting. And yes I would call a cruise forum the right setting.

Archived