Type of Mustard?

Hi Folks!!! I have a bit of an odd question - What kind of mustard is used at the Hot Dog House/stand?? Is it the yellow, "French's" Mustard, or is it the Spicy Golden Brown "Gulden's" Style??

Sorry for the odd question, DH is a bit of a foodie, and being from NY there are only certain mustards that belong on a Coney Island Dog!

Thanks in advance for all your help:D

Some one mentioned on a thread that it was stadium mustard which to me means brown but I would think they would offer the yellow also since there is such a diverse group of people. Totally understand your question it could make or break your sandwich/hot dog.

It seems like a bit of a contradiction of terms, a bit of a foodie and yet fussy about mustard on hot dogs, do these terms actually go together.

And before I get flamed, I do know that some hot dogs can be a real master peice, but surely a Coney Island is a mish mash of all things that are barely food related. JMHO

Certainly the ones on The Allure are a long way from being a classic, I would be more concerned about what goes in them , than what goes on them.:D

....................DH is a bit of a foodie, and being from NY there are only certain mustards that belong on a Coney Island Dog!

...................:D

Some one mentioned on a thread that it was stadium mustard which to me means brown but I would think they would offer the yellow also since there is such a diverse group of people. Totally understand your question it could make or break your sandwich/hot dog.

and of course, stadium mustard could also differ by location as well....I hope RCI has all the options!!! ;)

It seems like a bit of a contradiction of terms, a bit of a foodie and yet fussy about mustard on hot dogs, do these terms actually go together.

And before I get flamed, I do know that some hot dogs can be a real master peice, but surely a Coney Island is a mish mash of all things that are barely food related. JMHO

Certainly the ones on The Allure are a long way from being a classic, I would be more concerned about what goes in them , than what goes on them.:D

Chip, I love your posts but on this one you are dead wrong. The hot dog was practically invented in Coney Island. It is as NY as... well... Times Square and Madison Square Garden. Even the street corner dogs are a delight.

http://nathansfamous.com/PageFetch/getpage.php?pgid=39

and.... they deserve the best mustard... Guldens spicey brown!!!!!

Really, are we reading the same article ?, what I read is that it is as American as a Greek or German Apple Pie, ( which is probably made with English apples ) and the last time I looked both Greece and Germany were still on this side of the pond. Unless that earthquake was bigger than any of us had noticed.

Surely if we go far enough back in history, we probably find that most things American evolved from something British anyway, now what is the name of that lanquage you speak ?.

And before anyone gets on a very high horse, all of the above is said with a large tongue in cheek :D

But I do love your appreciation for Inspector Cluseau, who was an English man pretending to be French, or are you claiming that he was American as well :D

If that proves anything it's that our friend from across the fund is nit qualified to judge hit dogs!! It is as American as apple pie!!!:)

Really, are we reading the same article ?, what I read is that it is as American as a Greek or German Apple Pie, ( which is probably made with English apples ) and the last time I looked both Greece and Germany were still on this side of the pond. Unless that earthquake was bigger than any of us had noticed.

Surely if we go far enough back in history, we probably find that most things American evolved from something British anyway, now what is the name of that lanquage you speak ?.

And before anyone gets on a very high horse, all of the above is said with a large tongue in cheek :D

But I do love your appreciation for Inspector Cluseau, who was an English man pretending to be French, or are you claiming that he was American as well :D

I too have my tongue firmly in cheek...

My reading shows that while the concept originated in Germany it was adapted and perfected by an American.

Yes, the English have given us many things that are a part of the great melting pot we call America. Primary amongst the things I cherish from my English heritage are our respect for the rule of law (though lately we've done a lousy job in that regard), our entrepenurial spirit, our language, rich military traditions and a sense of global responsibility.

One thing we will NEVER, EVER claim or wish to replicate is ENGLISH FOOD!! Soooo... :D Having traveled the world, and having sampled fare from 4 continents I am of the belief that, when it comes to the critique of the culinary arts, the English must remain silent!!!

That mayo joke caused me to chuckle :D

It must have made someone else frowm because they deleted my posting. I prefer Hellman's Real Mayonaise in a jar and not the squeezable packets that are impossible to open when your fingers are greasy from eating the fries off your plate while walking to your table in the Windjammer or pool deck. Ultimately, you rip the packet open with your teeth causing the mayo to either squirt all over your face, onto your clothes or better yet, you develop a sore on your lip 3 days later because the Mayo packet had been handled by an unknown amount of hands in the kitchen prior to making its way to your razor sharp teeth that are now being used as a pair of scissors to open the condiment of your choice.

Tougue still in cheek

WOW now I have heard everything an American criticising UK food, yes an American, from the home of McDonalds and all those other fine dining experiences.

Whilst i must be honest and admit that the majority of UK food is not Haute Cuisine, I remind our American friends that you took Gordon Ramsey from us for Hells Kitchen, and many other top UK chefs have taken their talents around the world.

Real foodies should be aware of Heston Bluementhal and his amazing restaurant The Fat Duck, which wins the majority of restaurant awards throughout Europe.

In the end I think that most travellers would rather enjoy a typical english meal like Roast Beef or Fish and Chips, than the typical American meal that comes in a plastic take away dish.

In the end it is hats off too all chefs that make us happy, even if it is with food scrapes that we would never normally eat unless they are shaped in to something more recognisable like a hot dog or sausage.

But back to the mustard thing, do you not think it strange that a food item has to rely on a extra condiment to be edible. :D

..................One thing we will NEVER, EVER claim or wish to replicate is ENGLISH FOOD!! Soooo... :D Having traveled the world, and having sampled fare from 4 continents I am of the belief that, when it comes to the critique of the culinary arts, the English must remain silent!!!

Just returned from Allure and believe it or not at the Hot Dog Stands they do not have yellow mustard although you can find it other places on the ship. My Hubby found it odd.... especially since we are Chicago Hot Dog people. Nevertheless, he ate more of them than he should and enjoyed every last bite! Enjoy

Maybe someone else can confirm this but the Hot Dogs are NOT Nathans (Coney Island)

In fact I heard they are German style Hot Dog "Bratwurst" (sp)

In Germany they do use Mustard

There are in fact, six different types of dogs. I don't recall them all but there are traditional hot dogs (all beef, maybe kosher but I honestly don’t remember), sausage, brats, a veal dog and a few others.

There were several different buns and toppings for each type of dog but you can even mix and match the bun or topping they suggest for one type of dog to another. There was kraut, grilled onions cheese, etc., one again I can’t recall them all –but it seemed like there was enough variety to please everyone in line. I didn’t see anyone go away empty handed. There were plenty of condiments. There was mustard. I can’t recall what kind, but it didn’t seem to matter.

If the dog or particular condiment is not to your liking, you can try something new or there are plenty of other places to grab a bite. I assure you, you won’t go hungry for the week.

Enjoy

M

lovetheseas, if they don't have yellow mustard, what type(s) of mustard do they have, if you recall?

More importantly, were able to construct anything close to a Chicago Dog? Did they at least have pickles, tomatoes, sport peppers and celery salt?

Thank you all for your input and feedback about this mustard question. Who would have thought that a simple question about what kind/type of a certain condiment would get such a reaction?!?! :D

The main question was what kind of mustard - Deli, Yellow, Spicy? If it's deli or spicy it is acceptable for a Coney Island, or NY Style hot dog. (I agree with the statement about Gulden's, it's what's in my fridge now!!) To me, french's Yellow mustard has no spice and therefore we prefer Gulden's or better.

All the different kind of hot dogs sound wonderful, and No - mustard is not going to make or break this hot dog situation!!! We will be eating there!!!:p

The comment about condiment packets for mayo.. all condiments packets SUCK, bottom line. :)

Thank you all for sharing!!!:D

Just returned from Allure and believe it or not at the Hot Dog Stands they do not have yellow mustard although you can find it other places on the ship. My Hubby found it odd.... especially since we are Chicago Hot Dog people. Nevertheless, he ate more of them than he should and enjoyed every last bite! Enjoy

THANK YOU lovetheseas - I just re-read this post and low & behold I have my answer!! ;)

You got me with McDonalds and do love Gordon Ramsay. Ever read Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle?" You'll never eat a hot dog or sausage again!!

Tougue still in cheek

WOW now I have heard everything an American criticising UK food, yes an American, from the home of McDonalds and all those other fine dining experiences.

Whilst i must be honest and admit that the majority of UK food is not Haute Cuisine, I remind our American friends that you took Gordon Ramsey from us for Hells Kitchen, and many other top UK chefs have taken their talents around the world.

Real foodies should be aware of Heston Bluementhal and his amazing restaurant The Fat Duck, which wins the majority of restaurant awards throughout Europe.

In the end I think that most travellers would rather enjoy a typical english meal like Roast Beef or Fish and Chips, than the typical American meal that comes in a plastic take away dish.

In the end it is hats off too all chefs that make us happy, even if it is with food scrapes that we would never normally eat unless they are shaped in to something more recognisable like a hot dog or sausage.

But back to the mustard thing, do you not think it strange that a food item has to rely on a extra condiment to be edible. :D

Archived