From Voyager to Mariner- questions

StrandVillas

We have only sailed with Regent, but are canceling our next cruise with them and will be on the Marina in the fall. I have a couple of questions, please:

1) without mentioning any spefic TAs, can someone tell me what keywords to use in google search to find experienced O agent sites?

2) are meals open seating except the specialty restaurants?

3) I was told that alcohol, gratuities and excursions were not included in the fare. I assume that laundry and Internet are extras, but specialty coffees?

4) we will visit friends in Italy before we board, and they have a lovely vineyard. May we board with wine?

5) there are other Regent vets on many Oceania cruises: have you been pleased with your Oceania experiences overall?

Thanks for sharing.

YES They are open seating as well you just need to make a reservation

3) I was told that alcohol, gratuities and excursions were not included in the fare. I assume that laundry and Internet are extras, but specialty coffees?

COFFEE & Sodas are included all the others you mention are fee based

4) we will visit friends in Italy before we board, and they have a lovely vineyard. May we board with wine?

YES

Thanks for sharing.

You can do a search for Oceania TA's & some give prepaid gratuities

Have not been on Regent so I will let others answer you other question

We have only sailed with Regent, but are canceling our next cruise with them and will be on the Marina in the fall. I have a couple of questions, please:

1) without mentioning any spefic TAs, can someone tell me what keywords to use in google search to find experienced O agent sites?

5) there are other Regent vets on many Oceania cruises: have you been pleased with your Oceania experiences overall?

Thanks for sharing.

@(2) -- The restaurant policies are just like Regent. Reservations are required for specialty restaurants (this may be changing on Regent to "strongly recommended", but while you can try a walk-up on Oceania, it is probably safest to make a reservation); there is no charge for the specialty restaurants. The Grand dining Room and the Terrace Cafe are walk up at any time, with anyone; table stations may be requested; sharing is a good way to meet people -- just like Regent. The Terrace Cafe is a bit different that Voyager or Mariner, more like Navigator, in that entrees are selected from the buffet, not ordered. However, like Regent, you do not server yourself, and someone will likely rush to offer to carry your dish to the table. Drink orders are taken at the table.

@(3) -- You assume correctly about internet and laundry. I don't drink coffee, but there is no charge for cappuccinos and possibly other non-alcohol specialty coffees. On Marina, and on the upcoming Riviera, there is a fabulous Baristas coffee bar that can make many specialties, all no charge. They use Illy coffee, and on Marina, the baristas are all Italian.

@(4) -- There is language on the web site and in your documents restricting alcohol, but it is there purely for the eventuality that someone will abuse the extended privileges. I think you would have to be drunk and loudly obnoxious to have the policy enforced, I have never heard of such. You can safely bring a reasonable amount of any adult beverage including wines and spirits on board without anyone noticing; the assumption is that you are an adult and you are treated as one. The only requested restriction is that you enjoy your own adult beverages in your cabin, although you may take your wine to dinner and pay a corkage fee of $20 per bottle. there is no gratuity on the corkage fee. There is an automatic gratuity of 18% on all shipboard wine and cocktail purchases; no other gratuity is necessary for the bar staff. Sodas of all sorts and bottled water are included in your fare and freely available. They are now offering a complimentary 6 - bottle spirits setup for guests in Owners, Vista and Oceania suites (non-replenishable).

You will most likely not be unduly burdened by the purchasing process; they are very discreet when asking for your card and presenting you with the chit to sign.

@(5) I have sailed Regent, but only on Navigator and Voyager (so far) for a total of 17 nights. I have 91 nights on Oceania and 38 more reserved. I actually prefer Oceania unless the price on Regent, including the free drinks and excursions, is close to the Oceania price, rendering the drinks and excursions truly free. My TA always paid my gratuities and sometimes a little shipboard credit on Oceania; they do not have the greatest incentive amounts or discounts, but they more than make up for that by their intimate knowledge of Oceania.

Thank you! Today we found an agent who knew a lot about Oceania and we chose a penthouse suite with a larger one wait listed. Your answers were really helpful and we are looking forward to long, slow trip home from Rome. (We live in the Keys). Again, thanks for sharing info with us.

Sherry and Doug

StrandVillas: We are Keys residents as well. If you'd like more Marina information, contact us and we'll share what we know. Have been on the R ships and Marina's Inaugural cruise, and booked Marina for Christmas this year. Will be posting a review of the Inaugural cruise shortly. Terry and Betty

Thank you for your gracious offer. The only real question we still have is about a transatlantic cruise. This will be our first. We love sea days and although we've sailed on the Indian Ocean, Caribbean, South China Sea, Med..we are wondering what it will be like to cross the Atlantic in Dec. Any thoughts?

Actually, on the Maiden Voyage, we had only one rough day, and that was along the African Coast from Casablanca to Tenerife in the Canary Islands. From Tenerife to Miami, it was alike a lake. There have been reports of rough seas on previous transAtlantics, but most have been limited to one or two days. We've crossed on Insignia (an R ship) and Marina and have another crossing booked in November. That one day it was indeed rough on Marina, but the ship was more stable than expected in those seas. Some deck furniture blew away, 160 bottles of wine were broken and a bookcase fell over in an Owners Suite. I was a little queasy despite having good sea legs, so I took a nap (and missed my first pasta cooking class), but took no medication and felt great at dinner. Others felt it more, my DW felt it less.

Archived