Hotel Advice for Tampa

Gma_of_3

I need to book a room (rooms) for 4 of us in Tampa for the night before our cruise. I'm considering trying Priceline - but I've never used it before. Can anybody give me advice on how I enter the Location for a nice 3 or 4 star hotel. Would we enter it as "airport" area - and then just plan to grab a cab the next day to the port? Or do we go by "downtown"? Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated - as we are not at all familiar with Tampa. Of course, we do want to try for something in a decent area - I was advised to stay away some areas (such as North Mabry) - any other advice?

Thanks in advance

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;8;22;15;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Our FIRST Cruise!!
Carnival Inspiration

I think most cruisers choose the downtown area, but if your plane gets in late at nite the airport isn't too far either.

I prefer to always stay as close to the pier as possible... this way if anything goes wrong (car trouble, difficulting in getting a taxi, forgetting something at the hotel, etc) it's easier to plan for or correct.

You could also look at a map of where the pier is located... then go to Priceline and put 'tampa' in the location box. The next screen will show you a map of the area and the zones Priceline uses and then you can make a determination of what zone(s) you want to choose.

-thereuare
[B]<font size="3">BetterBidding</font>[/B]
and
[B]<font size="3">PortSchedules</font>[/B]

The Grand Hyatt has a walking path and nice amenities, although it is near the airport. They sent a shuttle to get us at the airport and helped us arrange transportation to the pier. I bid 4* airport for our Feb 2004 cruise. At that time this was the only 4* airport, so you were pretty sure what you were bidding on. Both 3 & 4 * Downtown had some nice options. I don't know that I would bid lower than that on Priceline. Good Luck, I actually enjoy Priceline!

My Wife and I sailed on the Carnival Sensation from Tampa end of April,04.
I used Priceline and bid $75.00 for 4 star lodging and got the Grand Hyatt, very good property with excellent staff. The large pool is at end of entrance road and is very nice. Pool at hotel is very good also. You can avoid Valet parking by parking in large lot behind parking decks and walking thru nice manicured alley between deck and hotel. Thare are several nice restaraunts close and a grocery/pharmacy/liquor store 3 miles away. (Doormen very knowledgable,ate at Leroy Selmons-not bad, good prices) Drive from Hyatt to port is very easy and well marked. Hyatt concierge will give you copy of directions.Drop off bags before parking and stay inside in shade of parking garage to terminal. ( I found this out the hard way) Others have told me they bid $65.00 and got Grand Hyatt. Also has very good shuttle service with a/c.

I am also looking for a hotel in downtown Tampa. I checked out priceline (never used it before) but I didn't like the idea of having to give them my credit card info. without knowing what hotel they found. We will be getting into Tampa kind of late the night before our cruise. I don't want to spend a lot for a room just to sleep in it, but I don't want to stay in a dive either. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

I like the Don Vicente Historic Hotel in downtown Tampa. Do a google search and you'll find it.

It's a small, boutique hotel centrally located in Ybor City - the historic and now gentrified cuban section of town. (home of Hav-a-Tampa Cigar).
Lots of nice shops and restaurants in the area and the hotel itself has a gorgeous salon/lounge to enjoy. Rooms are very pretty too.

Jane

Archived