NCl just lost $5000...

sr5242

My dh, two kids and I are going on the spirit in July. Right now we're booked in an inside for four people. We recently received an inheritance, and we were going to splurge and treat ourselves to a suite.

I saw on both priceline and the NCL website that an ac and connecting balcony were showing as available. The cost would have been $5000 more than our current cost. I called NCL and the "gentleman" insisted that neither room was showing up for him. I hang up and look on NCL.com again. Both showing open. A few hours later I call back again and the young lady insists only one of them show open for her. I once again hang up and check NCL.com- both showing open.

So I've decided to give up and keep my current room. I know it's an insignificant amount to NCL, but it's $5000 they won't be getting from me I guess.

My dh, two kids and I are going on the spirit in July. Right now we're booked in an inside for four people. We recently received an inheritance, and we were going to splurge and treat ourselves to a suite.

I saw on both priceline and the NCL website that an ac and connecting balcony were showing as available. The cost would have been $5000 more than our current cost. I called NCL and the "gentleman" insisted that neither room was showing up for him. I hang up and look on NCL.com again. Both showing open. A few hours later I call back again and the young lady insists only one of them show open for her. I once again hang up and check NCL.com- both showing open.

So I've decided to give up and keep my current room. I know it's an insignificant amount to NCL, but it's $5000 they won't be getting from me I guess.

Enjoy the rooms you had booked, splurge on shore excursions and put the rest in the bank for college.

It is the website.

Last night I needed to book 3 inside rooms on the Sky for this Friday. The website showed them as available- the lady on the phone said there were only 2. I booked 2 inside and one OV- after booking the site still showed there were inside cabins available.

I think there is a lag time between their inventory and website :(

If you select a room on NCL booking system it puts a temp hold on the cabin so no one can take it while you think or start a full booking

You have to give it some time before the agents can see them again.

Try it on two computers and you will probably see the same issue

why not just book on-line if you can see them.

If you select a room on NCL booking system it puts a temp hold on the cabin so no one can take it while you think or start a full booking

why not just book on-line if you can see them.[/quote]

Perhaps they don't book online because NCL.com does not have a way to recognize cruise rewards on their website. I wish they would add this feature.

Perhaps they don't book online because NCL.com does not have a way to recognize cruise rewards on their website. I wish they would add this feature.

You can actually go through the whole process and book it online and put all the guests names in and when it gets to payment, put it on a hold. It then gives you a reservation number. Then you can call NCL and tell them you want to pay with a cruise reward.

I did it and it worked just fine. So I did the whole booking online, selecting the room I wanted and then just spoke to someone for payment.

That also happened when I booked our cruise for next Jan. on the Star. we originally wanted cabin 9568 and it showed as open on the website but when I called my PCC he wasn't showing it. He had to contact IT while he had me on the phone and it was indeed free. I would have expected the reverse to have happened. Someone choosing the room online so it didn't appear free to me instead of the other way around. Of course after that I changed my mind and switched it to an Aft balcony.:rolleyes:

You can actually go through the whole process and book it online and put all the guests names in and when it gets to payment, put it on a hold. It then gives you a reservation number. Then you can call NCL and tell them you want to pay with a cruise reward.

I did it and it worked just fine. So I did the whole booking online, selecting the room I wanted and then just spoke to someone for payment.

I've done this as well.

Thanks!! You just never seem to quit learning here.:)

I just booked another cruise last night and just picked my cabin from ncl.com. I then called in the request and actually it was very painless and took less than 5 minutes. But I think I like your way better.

Seriously? You are giving up an opportunity to stay in a suite for an inside cabin? Four pp in an inside cabin will be very snug, especially on the Spirit (149 sq. ft.).

One thing you may not know is that when you pull up a cruise and temporarily "select" a cabin, it takes that cabin out of inventory. Not sure how long it takes to return to inventory (15 mins, 30 mins?) but it no doubt affected what the NCL agent could see.

I wouldn't give up on a suite unless they are truly sold out. If that is the case, why not look at a mini suite. No perks but a much larger cabin with more space for your family, and only a bit more than the inside cabin. July is still a ways off and final payment will determine the cruisers from the bookees, you may be able to get an upsell to a suite afterall.:D

why not just book on-line if you can see them.

My thought exactly. ;)

Not surprised that a call center doesn't know which way is up. The modern business world is where companies are understaffed, and the workers under trained. I'm loathe to chase folks to take my money. But if you REALLY want the suite, call and demand a supervisor. That's better then cutting off your nose to spite your face.

That also happened when I booked our cruise for next Jan. on the Star. we originally wanted cabin 9568 and it showed as open on the website but when I called my PCC he wasn't showing it. He had to contact IT while he had me on the phone and it was indeed free. I would have expected the reverse to have happened. Someone choosing the room online so it didn't appear free to me instead of the other way around. Of course after that I changed my mind and switched it to an Aft balcony.:rolleyes:

Same thing happened to me. I booked suite #1, then a few weeks later took advantage of an OBC offer that required me to rebook, so I booked #2. Had the PCC release #1, figuring that it would come back into inventory and my booking could be switched immediately. Didn't happen. Called the next day, #1 still not available even though it showed up on the website (and did immediately after releasing it). Called a week later, same problem! Called even later, same problem, could still see it - this time PCC called IT and got it fixed and I'm back in #1.

The moral - stick to your guns and ask that the PCC call IT and see what the problem is!

I had the same sort of situation booking my July cruise. I was going through a TA. Thanks to her assistance with an NCL rep she got them to look deeper at the issue. A supervisor had to get involved. Reps can be prevented from seeing certain opening if it doesn't meet certain criteria. I had two I wanted to put in a room with a 3rd berth just in case a third son could join us. NCL.com gave me a room available neat my wife and I the rep said was not available. The computer, my TA, and myself were right in the end.

I'm confused why you didn't just book it online since it was showing as open. Seems like a lot of extra work to call when you could have completed the booking yourself.

I agree with the PP who said to splurge on the excursions and save the rest for the kids education.

Probably a good thing you were not able to get those two rooms. Only the suite is eligible for eating at Cagneys (yes, there have been exceptions, but not always).

As to 4 people in an inside - I would seriously think about connecting cabins of whatever type you want. That said, I did not see how old the kids are.

And, NCL did not give up $5,000. They will still book those rooms. But, you saved $5,000. Use if for other things.

Archived