Do you have to get on the ship with your luggage?

dln929

We're going to be in Venice two days prior to our cruise on the Voyager. My brother- and sister-in-law are arriving the day of the cruise. They're getting in around 11 am at the airport. The Voyager departs at 5 pm.

We want to meet up for lunch and walk around Venice together and get on the ship as late as we can (how late would you cut it?).

Is it possible for us to go to the ship and hand in our luggage BUT not get on the ship until later in the afternoon?

Based on the need to be on the ship about 90 minutes ahead of departure, and your traveling partners arriving around 11AM at the airport, they should plan on at least an hour to clear the airport, that doesn't leave a lot of time for touring and getting to the ship on time. Good luck

We're going to be in Venice two days prior to our cruise on the Voyager. My brother- and sister-in-law are arriving the day of the cruise. They're getting in around 11 am at the airport. The Voyager departs at 5 pm.

We want to meet up for lunch and walk around Venice together and get on the ship as late as we can (how late would you cut it?).

Is it possible for us to go to the ship and hand in our luggage BUT not get on the ship until later in the afternoon?

So your in-laws are flying almost half way around the world and arriving about 4 hours before they need to be onboard? Pretty gutsy :rolleyes:

Yes, you can drop your luggage and actually board the ship later. However, others are right that you won't have very much time. I'm guessing, at best, it'll be 1:00 by the time they clear the airport, get to the ship, drop off their luggage and are ready to go "walking around." So, that gives you no more than 2 hours to work with, as you'll want to be back to the ship by about 3:00.

I haven't cruised via Venice, so I don't know what's right there around the port, but you may be able to look around a little, before getting on the ship. Just advise them to go with the flow and not count on any pre-cruise touring, because if they're late at all getting in, you may just be out of time.

So your in-laws are flying almost half way around the world and arriving about 4 hours before they need to be onboard? Pretty gutsy :rolleyes:

LOL They live in the UK so it's a really short flight for them! We might be crazy in our family but not that crazy. :D

Thanks for all your responses (and the reality check). Based on what you all said I think "walking around" will really be "just enough time to sit and enjoy a glass of prosecco at a cafe before boarding." And that's okay, too.

When we docked in Venice in November 2007 we were quite a walking distance from any shops, etc., and ended up taking a water taxi to the Rialto area where there are many shops, restaurants, etc. So, based on that, there may not be much time to find a place to have a coffee, etc. and still get back to the ship in time.

However, we did dock after dark so there may be places near the pier that were closed for the evening. We didn't notice what was there the next day, either, which was a Sunday.

Good luck.

The port is very large and there is nothing very near to have a coffee in a cafe. I believe there is a ferry that will take you from the port to St. Mark's Square express. My advice is to go on Trip Advisor and ask on the Venice board.

Archived