Carnival Freedom Review - 2/26/11-3/6/11

Mrs.C05

Again, love your review and some really great photos....we sail on the Freedom in less that 3 weeks and doing the same itinerary....one question I have is, do you know if the Freedom has laundry by the bag?...thanks,Steve

I do not have the flyer that came in my Fun Times nor does it state it anywhere in it, but I want to say it was around $15-20 and that was for however much you could cram in there. I'd search for it on here though. I found one thread but it's dated back to 2007.

Thanks so much for the info and pictures ! We are going Sept 10th, and can't wait ! You and Hubby look gorgeous in your formal attire. I like dressing up, glad to see others doing it as well !:)

Thank you so much! I worked out so much to be able to fit into that dress! Now if only I could get that same motivation to lose a few pounds to get back to where I was!:rolleyes:

Thank you so much! I worked out so much to be able to fit into that dress! Now if only I could get that same motivation to lose a few pounds to get back to where I was!:rolleyes:

Thank you for the great review. I really enjoyed Tortola, I did the beach excursion. I would love to know more about the Freedom. It looks like a beautiful ship but I don't like that most of her sailings are 6 days. I prefer at least 7 days. Was your cruise six or seven? Thanks. :D

Tortola:

Thank you for the great review. I really enjoyed Tortola, I did the beach excursion. I would love to know more about the Freedom. It looks like a beautiful ship but I don't like that most of her sailings are 6 days. I prefer at least 7 days. Was your cruise six or seven? Thanks. :D

Tortola:

Our cruise was 8 nights/9 days. Carnival Freedom alternates the 8 night Eastern with the 6 day Western.

Looks like jolyroger and cruisedrew are going on the same cruise....are you guys in the same group/know each other?

Hahaha Yep.. Well.... we met through the roll call? but not in person... yet.

And Hogwild guy too!

lol

Thanks for answering all my questions!

:-)

Drew

Great review!!!

DH and I will be on her, our first Carnival Cruise...Western 8 day, Cozumel, Mexico, Colon, Panama, and Limon, Costa Rica in October 2011.

I cannot wait!!!! Cant seem to find much on Freedom though and definately less on this itinerary.

Mrs. C05

Where in Florida are you? You mentioned the storms knocking out power at your home or work and we also where I am in Brevard County had major storms the same day.

Great review!!!

DH and I will be on her, our first Carnival Cruise...Western 8 day, Cozumel, Mexico, Colon, Panama, and Limon, Costa Rica in October 2011.

I cannot wait!!!! Cant seem to find much on Freedom though and definitely less on this itinerary.

Mrs. C05

Where in Florida are you? You mentioned the storms knocking out power at your home or work and we also where I am in Brevard County had major storms the same day.

I'm in central Florida, in Seminole county but boarderline Orange county. I don't know what made our power go out, except hearing 2 transformers blow before completely losing it and not getting it back for close to 30 hours! I was not happy with the power company.

Looks like jolyroger and cruisedrew are going on the same cruise....are you guys in the same group/know each other?

Yes we are on the same cruise!! We don't know each other but we're part of the April 23rd Freedom Roll Call!

So I know that your review is getting us Freedomers all pumped up!!

Thank you so much for all of your posts! DH is working 4 hrs tomorrow and I'm working 6, after that we are officially on vacation!:D We fly to FLL on Wednesday, will spend some time in North Miami for a few days, and then we board the Freedom. WOO HOO!!!:p

Mrs.CO5

Just wondering how the time worked on the ship?

Do you remember when you were in St. Thomas if island time and ship time is the same.

I thought I read somewhere there was and hours difference. Thanks

Woke up around 8:30am and went to have our usual breakfast - omelet, sausage, bacon, waffles and hot chocolate. The seas today have been a bit rough, so the boat has been rocking. We haven't had any motion sickness thankfully.

Lunch is a fresh Mongolian chicken and noddles with black bean sauce, freshly made. I could eat that all day long!!! It is delicious!!!

Tonight is formal night, but the menu does not look too appetizing.....We ended up not dressing up.:( I was totally looking forward to using my 2nd dress.

Right now, we're in the room relaxing, with drinks that we made in the room. This has really helped us out money-wise and also a convenience. We've really enjoyed being able to purchase the rum through Bon Voyage and then bringing our own OJ and Pineapple onboard. No problems having that in our carry-on luggage. We didn't really see anyone inspecting anyone's stuff for smuggling. One worker pointed to ours, the man looked in it and saw what it was, but it didn't delay us either.

Enjoying our balcony!

P3040227.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii17/kcrenshaw2005/Cruises/February%202011%20Cruise/P3040230.jpg

[/font]

Slept in until 8:30am and then got up for breakfast. Breakfast was pancakes, omelet, potatoes that were so-so and skim milk.

We do not get into Nassau until 12noon but our plan is to go to Atlantis and then come back to do some shopping and hang out at Senor Frogs. On the way to Nassau, we chilled on the balcony briefly getting a tan.

We did just as we planned, with a little wait to get off the boat. They had quiet a line to get off, but once we got off it was a breeze. Went straight to a taxi, went to Atlantis and DH gambled a bit while there. He actually won some money so we walked away happy.

P3050227.jpg

Then we went back to town, walked around the shops before sitting at Senor Frogs for a late lunch. The line was long and there was quite a wait but for their drinks and food, we decided to wait. There were a lot of spring-breakers.

P3050230.jpg

DH enjoying their Bahama Mama. We have PLENTY of their yardlongs at home, don't need anymore! HAHA!

P3050231.jpg

Here is our boat!

P3050232.jpg

Headed back to the boat.....

P3050234.jpg

Then we got back on board for a nap before getting up to watch the late-comers.

P3060235.jpg

Special Notes:

We are not impressed with our room steward. We never got an introduction from him like we have other stewardest, and never got the 'happy' vibe from him. Then, he charged us for the bottle of water in our room the next day (that he removed at my request), but then came in our room and said he charged us for what he thought was a Coca-Cola we drank. I wouldn't think that would cost $4.54 and when I called about it the person said it was for the bottle of water...hmmm?!?! Well, had he saw the mini-cooler he just filled ice with that had Coca-cola in it, we wouldn't have had that little mess, I wouldn't think.

Then, him or his assistant tossed one of our heavy-duty plastic straws, which I had laid out on the back of the sink to dry out after rinsing. This wasn't a regular plastic straw from the bar or drink area, it was a hard plastic straw that went specifically to our tumblers we brought. Now it is gone and I believe the room steward or his assistant dumped it. :( The water/soda was taken off though the next day.

Also, our dinner's in the MDR hasn't been the best but we're not about to make these little mishaps to mess up our cruise. One night my husband ordered 2 apps and he didn't get one of them, then the next night, I ordered 2 apps and I didn't get one either. Don't know what's up with that, and didn't bother to ask about it either, but at least was more personable and friendly than our room steward.

Like I said, we weren't about too let these little things add up to a 'bad' cruise.

Woke up around 8:30am and went to have our usual breakfast - omelet, sausage, bacon, waffles and hot chocolate. The seas today have been a bit rough, so the boat has been rocking. We haven't had any motion sickness thankfully.

Lunch is a fresh Mongolian chicken and noddles with black bean sauce, freshly made. I could eat that all day long!!! It is delicious!!!

Tonight is formal night, but the menu does not look too appetizing.....We ended up not dressing up.:( I was totally looking forward to using my 2nd dress.

Right now, we're in the room relaxing, with drinks that we made in the room. This has really helped us out money-wise and also a convenience. We've really enjoyed being able to purchase the rum through Bon Voyage and then bringing our own OJ and Pineapple onboard. No problems having that in our carry-on luggage. We didn't really see anyone inspecting anyone's stuff for smuggling. One worker pointed to ours, the man looked in it and saw what it was, but it didn't delay us either.

Enjoying our balcony!

P3040227.jpg

P3040230.jpg

Hello--Loved your review:)

Just had a quick question if you don't mind. Since you have returned from there recently, maybe you will remember if there is anything to do and see right off the ship in either Antigua or Tortola, just to walk around, or is it best to book an excursion? Would appreciate your insight.

Thanks

Great review, I like reading about some of the islands you visited. we got off the legend on the 28th and that was our first cruise and now thinking about a southern or eastern itinerary. You both looked like you had a great time.

Our last cruise our steward never introduced himself either. That was a disappointment.

I have never had that problem until now and was quite displeased. Oh well, he only got the pre-paid gratuities, nothing extra.

Hello--Loved your review:)

Just had a quick question if you don't mind. Since you have returned from there recently, maybe you will remember if there is anything to do and see right off the ship in either Antigua or Tortola, just to walk around, or is it best to book an excursion? Would appreciate your insight.

Thanks

In Antigua, there are a lot of shops and such right there at the pier, but beware the locals bumbard you as soon as you pass the security gates! Just say No Thanks and keep walking.

As for Tortola, there are some little huts set up of things the locals are selling, but for real shopping, you have to go over to Road Town. We did this back on our honeymoon and was a lot of fun.

I would recommend booking an excursion in both places.

In St. Thomas, there is a lot to do right there at the port if you just want to shop.

Great review, I like reading about some of the islands you visited. we got off the legend on the 28th and that was our first cruise and now thinking about a southern or eastern itinerary. You both looked like you had a great time.

Thank you so much!!! We had a blast and was such a nice getaway that we desperately needed!

One more question please, in St Thomas, can you walk to the skyride (to Paradise Point) from the ship? How far is it? We have been to St Thomas but never got past the Havensight area.

It is not far at all if you're shopping in the Havensight shopping plaza. Have you seen the gates opposite of the ship and the road right there before? Paradise Point is right there on the other side of the road.

Here is a map I found.

http://www.virginislandsmap.com/stthomas/havensight/index.html

If you go to the corner of the blue/bright blue building, there is a Payless Shoes store on the corner, go out the gates behind it, you'll see the Wendy's in front of you, and it's right there across the street. The black line in the link is the road I'm talking about. It's not hard at all to find.

Hahaha Yep.. Well.... we met through the roll call? but not in person... yet.

And Hogwild guy too!

lol

Thanks for answering all my questions!

:-)

Drew

We are on the April 23rd sailing and the Tortola Charters excursion too. Your review is awesome. Thanks so much for taking the time to post all this info.

Great review, we will be on the Freedom this December. We were thinking about booking with Tortola Charters too. How long was the boat ride over to JVD? Just wondering because you talk about meeting them at 8:15am and say you go to the island at 11am.

Did you think you had enough time there? Thanks for taking the time to write your review:)

Archived