What's your biggest change?

blueeyes1227

Hey! I'm going on a cruise in a year, so gives me plenty of time to get into shape. I'm about 180lbs give or take a few pounds. I am also a diabetic and take insulin, which I've heard is a cause for not losing weight quickly. What's some tips on changing my eating habits. I know no chips, cookies and whatnot, but what did you change that helped the most? I go to the gym 5xs a week, which I enjoy. Thanks for any responses.

I practice portion control and make substitute items that are healthy to replace items I crave. Then there is never a need to "cheat".

My weight loss blog is in my signature if you're interested.

I have been on the road of change for over 6 months now...I've lost a good amount of weight and a LOT of inches...The process has been evolving from day one...There have been many changes that I have made...but you asked for "the change that helped the most"...

The change that has helped me the most is simply...Eat when you are hungry, stop when you are full...

To follow this, I've eaten at totally whacked times...I don't eat based on the clock, routine, or any preset schedule...I eat SLOWLY now...I pause often...I set my fork down...I take a drink of water...I think "Could I stop and be satisfied?"...I know that just because the food tastes good and I would like to eat more, I don't always NEED to eat more...I can always eat more of it later when I am more hungry...the food will even taste better if I do...because food actually tastes better when you are hungry which is one way our bodies can help us stop eating when we are full, the tastebuds are dulled.

I also try to "eat thin"...this is a concept I have talked about on my Zumba thread...I believe the source is "Weigh Down"...the author decided to study the way her thin friend ate her food and kind of shadowed her for a bit...and she realized that her thin friend ate the best bites first...rather than "saving the best for last"...fat people "save the best for last" and because they have, they often end up eating those best bites when they are less hungry and may have even be able to stop eating, but because they "saved" the best bites, they continue to eat...meanwhile a thin person is dissecting their plate...picking out the best bites as they eat the meal...as they feel fuller, they look at their plate and with all the work they have done on it...it looks very unappetizing and they have no problems stopping eating at the point of satiety.

Also...I make what I eat count...meaning that I try to eat from home...try to eat yummy, colorful, texture-filled, pretty food...trying to recognize food as nutrition but also as nourishment for not only the body, but the soul as well and take time to have a meal...not just eat while watching television (so distracting, it's harder to eat slower and recognize fullness) or eating on the go...I would rather go hungry now and be able to have more time enjoying my food later.

The biggest change that I did, that really helped me to start losing significant weight was to measure and track the calories I was eating. When I first started doing this, I realized that what I thought was a proper portion size, was nowhere near close! And what I thought was eating a sensible calorie amount was also off-base.

The second most helpful thing I did was to drink plenty of water, at least a minimum of 64 oz, usually more. Cut out any sodas, juice, diet soda, etc.

The biggest change that I did, that really helped me to start losing significant weight was to measure and track the calories I was eating. When I first started doing this, I realized that what I thought was a proper portion size, was nowhere near close! And what I thought was eating a sensible calorie amount was also off-base.

The second most helpful thing I did was to drink plenty of water, at least a minimum of 64 oz, usually more. Cut out any sodas, juice, diet soda, etc.

I tried the whole water thing, but I'm so hooked on diet coke that when I don't drink it I hey a horrible headache. Caffeine I'm assuming.

I also try to "eat thin"...this is a concept I have talked about on my Zumba thread...I believe the source is "Weigh Down"...the author decided to study the way her thin friend ate her food and kind of shadowed her for a bit...and she realized that her thin friend ate the best bites first...rather than "saving the best for last"...fat people "save the best for last" and because they have, they often end up eating those best bites when they are less hungry and may have even be able to stop eating, but because they "saved" the best bites, they continue to eat...meanwhile a thin person is dissecting their plate...picking out the best bites as they eat the meal...as they feel fuller, they look at their plate and with all the work they have done on it...it looks very unappetizing and they have no problems stopping eating at the point of satiety.

I LOVE the idea of eating the best bites first! I've never heard, or thought, of that. But it certainly makes sense. I'm going to try it. Thank you for posting!!

I'm a big snacker and have a horrible sweet tooth. So my biggest change so far has been to cut out after-dinner sweets. Well.....I should say changed from eating a cookie or whatever to having a small container of fat-free yogurt. I still get the taste of something sweet, but it's healthier and not so calorie laden.

Ok, don't take this the wrong way...but I work in the medical field....

If you are a diabetic and on insulin, hasn't your DOCTOR who prescribes you your insulin given you dietary guidelines? It would make sense to me to ask the doctor what you should and not eat. The old fashioned diabetic exchange diet is usually what works..how many fruits pre day, carbs, etc. and then people lose weight becasue they are naturally eating a healthy diet. Most of the diabetics I know and have worked with use that and lose weight easily. Those that don't are usually the ones who are kidding themselves and eat more than what they will admit to.

PLEASE do not take me as being rude by saying that..it's a common sense approach.

Hey! I'm going on a cruise in a year, so gives me plenty of time to get into shape. I'm about 180lbs give or take a few pounds. I am also a diabetic and take insulin, which I've heard is a cause for not losing weight quickly. What's some tips on changing my eating habits. I know no chips, cookies and whatnot, but what did you change that helped the most? I go to the gym 5xs a week, which I enjoy. Thanks for any responses.

Hi Anite..nice to see your posts.you are a woman after my own heart LOL

I do the same things you do. I only eat from home and now practically all restaurant food makes me sick. I take little bites of really, really, good things. If I'm at a hotel or buffet or something else, I take only samples of things I don't normally eat..the stuff I can get all the time I leave and dont take. I measure my portiosn when at home and out I eyeball them to get an idea on size.

I ask myself "Why do I NEED to eat 5 cookies if the serving size is 1"? "I have the rest of my life to eat this, etc, I dont need to eat it today"

Then I remind myself how GREAT it feels to have my clothes fit again and to buy cute clothes.

My favorite link is www.myrecipes.com that contains all the recipes from Southern Living, Cooking Light, and Health magazines. Gives good tips on making favorite restaurant foods the "light" way. I've been making a low fat Chocolate chili with chipotle lately...250 calories for a cup, cheap, a little sweetness and a ton of flavor. Made out of ground turkey and beans..you cant get more healthy than that and a cup of that fills me up for hours. I also made "babagonush" with an eggplant and have eaten that with pepper halves for lunches this week. I like this website because it gives you a lot of healthy, cheap, waist friendly meals.

I have been on the road of change for over 6 months now...I've lost a good amount of weight and a LOT of inches...The process has been evolving from day one...There have been many changes that I have made...but you asked for "the change that helped the most"...

The change that has helped me the most is simply...Eat when you are hungry, stop when you are full...

To follow this, I've eaten at totally whacked times...I don't eat based on the clock, routine, or any preset schedule...I eat SLOWLY now...I pause often...I set my fork down...I take a drink of water...I think "Could I stop and be satisfied?"...I know that just because the food tastes good and I would like to eat more, I don't always NEED to eat more...I can always eat more of it later when I am more hungry...the food will even taste better if I do...because food actually tastes better when you are hungry which is one way our bodies can help us stop eating when we are full, the tastebuds are dulled.

Also...I make what I eat count...meaning that I try to eat from home...try to eat yummy, colorful, texture-filled, pretty food...trying to recognize food as nutrition but also as nourishment for not only the body, but the soul as well and take time to have a meal...not just eat while watching television (so distracting, it's harder to eat slower and recognize fullness) or eating on the go...I would rather go hungry now and be able to have more time enjoying my food later.

Ok, don't take this the wrong way...but I work in the medical field....

If you are a diabetic and on insulin, hasn't your DOCTOR who prescribes you your insulin given you dietary guidelines? It would make sense to me to ask the doctor what you should and not eat. The old fashioned diabetic exchange diet is usually what works..how many fruits pre day, carbs, etc. and then people lose weight becasue they are naturally eating a healthy diet. Most of the diabetics I know and have worked with use that and lose weight easily. Those that don't are usually the ones who are kidding themselves and eat more than what they will admit to.

PLEASE do not take me as being rude by saying that..it's a common sense approach.

Ehh, its ok. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

these are a few of my biggest changes-

i drink a lot of water. sometimes i add slices of fruit to it to make a "water sangria" it kind of changes water from being so boring

my new motto is "the first bite tastes as good as the last" i try to apply this to dessert. there is no need for me to finish something because it is "so good" each bite will taste the same

also when something is tempting me i try to remind myself how it feels when i see an increase on the scale. i try to remember "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" this works good for me at night when im sitting on my laptop and feel the need for snacking.

i can tell you also what my biggest downfall is too- and that is exercise. i come up with every excuse in the book not to do it. this is my current challenge and i am hoping my 6/26 cruise on the legend will motivate me to get me up and work out.

hope this helps. i am so glad i discovered this board! i could use some motivation before my vacation

these are a few of my biggest changes-

i drink a lot of water. sometimes i add slices of fruit to it to make a "water sangria" it kind of changes water from being so boring

my new motto is "the first bite tastes as good as the last" i try to apply this to dessert. there is no need for me to finish something because it is "so good" each bite will taste the same

also when something is tempting me i try to remind myself how it feels when i see an increase on the scale. i try to remember "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" this works good for me at night when im sitting on my laptop and feel the need for snacking.

i can tell you also what my biggest downfall is too- and that is exercise. i come up with every excuse in the book not to do it. this is my current challenge and i am hoping my 6/26 cruise on the legend will motivate me to get me up and work out.

hope this helps. i am so glad i discovered this board! i could use some motivation before my vacation

Just a thought-exercise can be as simple as taking a walk around the neighbor hood. It helps both the mind and body - good for burning calories and reducing stress.:D

Hi Anita,

I like the "eat thin" concept. :D

Archived