Carcross

bobolink

We are planning to rent a car and make the drive from Skagway. At first I thought we'd ride horses with Joni but in an effort to save a little money for the very expensive excursions in other ports and land portion after cruise, I have decided against it. I know it's not the same, but to our daughter it's the horse and not the scenery.

Does anyone have information about activities in the Carcross area that are less expensive and would suit a 9 year old girl? Is there a place to visit a husky kennel inexpensively? We've got a glacier dogsled trip booked from Seward so we don't need the ride, just the puppy cuddles. In one post I read about panning for gold in Carcross for $5 each, but can't locate any more information about it.

Her class has been studying Alaska and the Iditarod for about a month, across all the subject areas. What great timing!

Thanks as always!

Caribou Crossing has inexpensive husky cart rides and puppy-cuddles, and they are probably the place with goldpanning - http://www.cariboucrossing.ca/ but it isn't on the site yet. There are very few "excursions" in Carcross, but you can rent a canoe at either Spirit Lake Lodge or from a private guy - 821-3621 when you get to Carcross. Walking though the desert dunes is great, as is the 2-mile long beach.

Murray

Hi, I know you can also book half hour and hour horseback rides at the Joni's yukonhorses.com which is more economical. Friends of ours booked a one hour and got see the fantastic colors of Emerald Lk. Hope this helps...

Am I overlooking the prices of the horses on Joni's website somewhere? Or do we have to email? Does anyone know the ballpark price of a half-hour or an hour ride if driving yourself to Emerald Lake?

Many thanks in advance! :)

Yukon, With the puppie cuddling, is this a chance to take a look at/and learn about the huskies? Is there any info via the internet that I could look at...I would love to see the dogs, esp the puppies. Any ideas as to prices? Thanks so much for all your wonderful info. You are a fantastic Alaska resource. Thanks...Nancy

Mandy -- I emailed Joni with same question. Her reply:

Thanks for the interest in our tour. The price of the trail ride is $120.00US each if you come in on your own. The times of the tours are 10:30am, 1:00pm and 3:30pm. It is a 1.5 hour drive to the ranch including going through customs there is also a one hour time differance. For example if you pick up your rent a car at 8:00am (it will be 9:00am Yukon time) you will be at the ranch about 10:30 Yukon time.

>>There really isn't much to do in Carcross.<<

That's true - unless you like historic walks, photography, beach walking, mountain hiking, canoeing, browsing in unique shops.... :D

Murray

Well said Murray and absolutely correct. I still always take a walk over the train bridge, reminds me so much of the history. :)

That's true - unless you like historic walks, photography, beach walking, mountain hiking, canoeing, browsing in unique shops....

Murray

Gee, how did we miss all those things?

All we saw was a welcome center, a gas station, a closed diner and a gift shop.

Archived