Will RCCL ever come down in prices

OK, I've read this whole thread hoping someone knows something I don't about the prices. It is what it is.

Anyone who has read any of my posts over the last 7 years knows I am a cruise bargain hunter and travel planner geekette. None of my usual techniques are working anymore. The cruise and air prices are just too much.

I book waaaaaaaaaaay in advance, I book onboard the ship for an obc, I use coupons for outside and inside cabins, I use a D+ balcony discount, I scour the internet for air prices..............heck, I even got a new credit card for a "free" one way air ticket FLL to SJU.

Bottom line is, and I've been saying this for months, RCCL has increased their cruise prices since late last year to compensate for the increase in fuel costs. The prices for 2012 that are coming out are stupid high, and what's with diminishing the choices in the Caribbean to fill up the Allure and Oasis????? Do they WANT us to go to another cruise line?

I have no cruise booked for next year. All the cruises I'm taking this year (5 of them) were all booked between April and November 2010, and I got good prices. After November 2010 the prices started looking crazy. Even the cruises I had booked. I saw a transatlantic (traditionally the cheapest cruise price per day you can get) go up to over $2,400 for a balcony.

I don't think it's supply-and-demand, because they wouldn't be putting the Oasis and Allure on the Tuesday specials if the demand was up. Caribbean cruises are RCCL's bread and butter.

Time will tell if the move to Europe with so many of their ships pays off, but they are slowly eroding their US and Canada market because most of us won't pay what it costs to get over there!! I squeezed under the wire for our roundtrip European airfare this year, and it was already $200 per person more than last year when I started looking. By the time the booking window opened for my flight dates, it was up $200 per person.

I, for one, am sitting on the fence. I may grab a cabin for an obc and reduced deposit, but I will cancel that if I can't find another cruise that is reasonably priced.

Time will tell.

Edited by pcur

Voyager of the Seas (Awesome ship and crew) is cheaper than the Carnival Conquest when they both start sailing from New Orleans.

Now, we cruise out of Galveston (3 hr drive) We always have an Ocean View, Balcony or Promenade on a deck near everything and we pay anywhere from $85-110 per person per day on RCI. I think that is cheap and very Do-able and well worth the money. Very comparable price with Carnival Galveston prices.

OK, I've read this whole thread hoping someone knows something I don't about the prices. It is what it is.

Anyone who has read any of my posts over the last 7 years knows I am a cruise bargain hunter and travel planner geekette. None of my usual techniques are working anymore. The cruise and air prices are just too much.

I book waaaaaaaaaaay in advance, I book onboard the ship for an obc, I use coupons for outside and inside cabins, I use a D+ balcony discount, I scour the internet for air prices..............heck, I even got a new credit card for a "free" one way air ticket FLL to SJU.

Bottom line is, and I've been saying this for months, RCCL has increased their cruise prices since late last year to compensate for the increase in fuel costs. The prices for 2012 that are coming out are stupid high, and what's with diminishing the choices in the Caribbean to fill up the Allure and Oasis????? Do they WANT us to go to another cruise line?

I have no cruise booked for next year. All the cruises I'm taking this year (5 of them) were all booked between April and November 2010, and I got good prices. After November 2010 the prices started looking crazy. Even the cruises I had booked. I saw a transatlantic (traditionally the cheapest cruise price per day you can get) go up to over $2,400 for a balcony.

I don't think it's supply-and-demand, because they wouldn't be putting the Oasis and Allure on the Tuesday specials if the demand was up. Caribbean cruises are RCCL's bread and butter.

Time will tell if the move to Europe with so many of their ships pays off, but they are slowly eroding their US and Canada market because most of us won't pay what it costs to get over there!! I squeezed under the wire for our roundtrip European airfare this year, and it was already $200 per person more than last year when I started looking. By the time the booking window opened for my flight dates, it was up $200 per person.

I, for one, am sitting on the fence. I may grab a cabin for an obc and reduced deposit, but I will cancel that if I can't find another cruise that is reasonably priced.

Time will tell.

Welcome Vicki Freed:rolleyes:

After a cruise on Carnival many years ago, we started cruising with Royal Caribbean in 2003.

Over the years we have seen changes in both CCL and RCI. Some for the better others not so much. My wife and I are of the opinion that two lines are about equal in total comparisons, but are certainly not the same.

The food has definitely gone down on RCI, Carnival is about the same as before, but better than what we have found on RCI the past few cruises.

The entertainment is better in general on RCI. Live music is much better on RCI.

The cabins are marginally better on the new Carnival ships. Cabins on the old RCI ships are dreadfully small.

The "layout" of the deack plans are better on the newer RCI ships.

And RCI is always "breaking ground" by adding something new.

However, the Carnival Splendor was one of the most beautiful ships we have ever sailed on.

The service is about even, with RCI's service again declining in recent years.

Based on experience, I would stay away from shorter Carnival cruises as there is a different (i.e. rowdiness and 'low class') clientele than on the longer itineraries. That has not been the case on shorter RCI cruises we have been on.

Probably this is due to CCL's price slashing to fill the ship at the last minute.

I have not found this to be true on longer cruises.

Particularly, the past few CCL cruises we were on were as nice as the best RCI cruises we have been on.

In particular, the service on the Carnival Splendor last September and the Carnival Victory out of San Juan in April 0f '09 was outstanding. The ships were clean and the age distribution of the passengers seemed about like what we have found on RCI.

RCI does appear to be uncompetitive on price. Price is not the only factor, but it is a factor. But thereare other considerations:

For example: Carnival operates two ships year round out of Galveston, near where we live. If we want to cruise close to home between May and November, we can't go RCI, because RCI is in Galveston only 5 months. Carnival has sailings that go to Nassau, Freeport and Key West in addition to the Western Caribbean. RCI goes to only to the Western Caribbean.

RCI has abandoned CA. If we want to cruise the Mexican Riviera, we can't go RCI. Carnival has two ships sailing to Baja CA.

As a result of the above now sail on both RCI and Carnival based on what we can find out about the individual ships and itineraries.

We are sailing the Rhapsody in May for Alaska, and Carnival in October.

Both lines have areas in which they excel and areas where they are weaker. But we have come to enjoy both.

Welcome Vicki Freed:rolleyes:

Steve, you know I'm not Vicki Freed; I've been posting here since 2003, and several CC members have met me in person.

What I posted is truly my opinion based on what I'm experiencing and seeing, so I don't know what the reference to a marketing staff person is supposed to mean???????? :confused:

I have many cruises over the line (10 or so) but just cannot justify the prices they want right now. If I take the kids for a week, we are looking at $4000 plus airfare plus onboard charges. I just cannot afford a $6000 vacation.

What gives, how can people afford this?

Are people really paying this price or is there a special place to get better rates?

I make a decent living but cannot justify this amount for a week.

I hope they do not come down in price. I don't want RCCL to end up like Carnival. I love RCCL and do not mind paying a few more dollars. I have actually compared same weeks before with Carnival and found that just as many times RCCL is better priced. It all seems to be when you book.

Steve, you know I'm not Vicki Freed; I've been posting here since 2003, and several CC members have met me in person.

What I posted is truly my opinion based on what I'm experiencing and seeing, so I don't know what the reference to a marketing staff person is supposed to mean???????? :confused:

esp since there were no suggestions or comments regarding the issues - nothing better to do I guess :)

I certainly enjoyed your posts - always do. They are interesting and articulate - thanks for sharing..:)

esp since there were no suggestions or comments regarding the issues - nothing better to do I guess :)

I certainly enjoyed your posts - always do. They are interesting and articulate - thanks for sharing..:)

Hey, thanks! I was a little confused, but that's normal for me!!! :D

P.S. If you enjoy my blathering, look for a "pcur's Sea Odyssey" thread around 4/24/11.

Hey, thanks! I was a little confused, but that's normal for me!!! :D

P.S. If you enjoy my blathering, look for a "pcur's Sea Odyssey" thread around 4/24/11.

Looking forward to it!!

Me too re: confused - I blame it on age - its a great excuse - most folks believe me :D

lolol.....I know you Peggy:)

What I meant is that I think you can thank Viki Freed and her sales techniques;)

After a cruise on Carnival many years ago, we started cruising with Royal Caribbean in 2003.

Over the years we have seen changes in both CCL and RCI. Some for the better others not so much. My wife and I are of the opinion that two lines are about equal in total comparisons, but are certainly not the same.

The food has definitely gone down on RCI, Carnival is about the same as before, but better than what we have found on RCI the past few cruises.

The entertainment is better in general on RCI. Live music is much better on RCI.

The cabins are marginally better on the new Carnival ships. Cabins on the old RCI ships are dreadfully small.

The "layout" of the deack plans are better on the newer RCI ships.

And RCI is always "breaking ground" by adding something new.

However, the Carnival Splendor was one of the most beautiful ships we have ever sailed on.

The service is about even, with RCI's service again declining in recent years.

Based on experience, I would stay away from shorter Carnival cruises as there is a different (i.e. rowdiness and 'low class') clientele than on the longer itineraries. That has not been the case on shorter RCI cruises we have been on.

Probably this is due to CCL's price slashing to fill the ship at the last minute.

I have not found this to be true on longer cruises.

Particularly, the past few CCL cruises we were on were as nice as the best RCI cruises we have been on.

In particular, the service on the Carnival Splendor last September and the Carnival Victory out of San Juan in April 0f '09 was outstanding. The ships were clean and the age distribution of the passengers seemed about like what we have found on RCI.

RCI does appear to be uncompetitive on price. Price is not the only factor, but it is a factor. But thereare other considerations:

For example: Carnival operates two ships year round out of Galveston, near where we live. If we want to cruise close to home between May and November, we can't go RCI, because RCI is in Galveston only 5 months. Carnival has sailings that go to Nassau, Freeport and Key West in addition to the Western Caribbean. RCI goes to only to the Western Caribbean.

RCI has abandoned CA. If we want to cruise the Mexican Riviera, we can't go RCI. Carnival has two ships sailing to Baja CA.

As a result of the above now sail on both RCI and Carnival based on what we can find out about the individual ships and itineraries.

We are sailing the Rhapsody in May for Alaska, and Carnival in October.

Both lines have areas in which they excel and areas where they are weaker. But we have come to enjoy both.

I agree with so much of what you write. I too have been on several carnival and rccl and there are things i like about both and things I don't like.

we are currently booked on both carnival dream leaving sept 3rd and rccl fos leaving sept 4th....I haven't been on either one of these but carnival is so much cheaper....

i have booked both with deals that were expiring end of march but now i have to decide which one to go on. carnival is ahead because of the big price difference but dh work has denied his vacation request to start on the saturday the 3rd....so unless my dh can convince them to let him have that saturday off we might just do rccl fos and pay the extra.

lolol.....I know you Peggy:)

What I meant is that I think you can thank Viki Freed and her sales techniques;)

Ooooooh, got it, now! :D

Yeah, I thought someone had to be messing with RCCL's heads, because their marketing and ship repositioning just didn't make any sense to me, and hasn't since late last year. I swear all of this will come back to bite them in their collective butts!

I really thought that RCI's prices had come down considerably over the last 18 months.. (imo). We didn't cruise them for a few years (2008-2009) because there prices were absolutely RIDICULOUS!

We only paid $1079 for a balcony on a Liberty OTS during spring break this year, and are cruising on Voyager in a JS next march for $1150 pp; not unreasonable I don't think.

I think the problem is when folks travel with families it makes it more difficult to grab the deals.

You do need to book early though for best prices... that's for sure.

It seems the days of the last minute sales w/ RCI are over. Since they changed their policies recently, you almost never see a price reducation after you book. Just promos w/ OBCs.

I really thought that RCI's prices had come down considerably over the last 18 months.. (imo). We didn't cruise them for a few years (2008-2009) because there prices were absolutely RIDICULOUS!

We only paid $1079 for a balcony on a Liberty OTS during spring break this year, and are cruising on Voyager in a JS next march for $1150 pp; not unreasonable I don't think.

I think the problem is when folks travel with families it makes it more difficult to grab the deals.

You do need to book early though for best prices... that's for sure.

It seems the days of the last minute sales w/ RCI are over. Since they changed their policies recently, you almost never see a price reducation after you book. Just promos w/ OBCs.

Easter week 3 spring breaks ago (right before the financial word as we know it collapsed) on Indy 8 night Eastern....$879 balcony, $749 interior...dropped 2 weeks after final was due....and back then they would still price match right up to a couple days before sail date.

the two weeks before me are even more expensive

The New England cruises are always expensive because they only run them for 7-8 weeks a year and they are always in demand and full!!!

The best value in cruising are the repositioning cruises but you usually need 14 days to do one - but yo will find them cheaper than a 7 day cruise and will get to see some awesome places!

I think the quality of the MDR food has gone down because they want people to spend money in the specialty restaurants...way I figure it is - I'm not cooking and I am being served - so really it is fine! ;)

I think the quality of the MDR food has gone down because they want people to spend money in the specialty restaurants...way I figure it is - I'm not cooking and I am being served - so really it is fine! ;)

RCI isn't shy about this.....they have already admitted to TA's that their biggest cutback yet is food.

• 4 years later...

Kind of bumping this to see where people are. I am still rather disappointed in the prices of the ships.

Allure and Oasis are always 4k for an oceanview balcony, no matter the special they are running.

I have taken to Mexico for vacations and are staying at 4 star resorts for less than 2k a week with the family (four of us)

Food and entertainment are not as good but saving 3k by the time you figure in incidentals (specialty restaurants, etoh and such)

Crash

A LOT of people opt to drive to eliminate that airfare......it's not out of the norm and I know of people that drive from Chicago and further.....we have meet many people even large groups that have driven as much as 17+hrs straight to get to the port.

When our kids were small, we couldn't afford to fly from Chicago to Orlando for a Disney trip so we drove....twice. It made it affordable. We drove straight through since we had limited vacation time. I know lots of families in Chicago that drive to FL because the expense of airline tickets puts a cruise vacation out of reach. Our kids are grown now and we have the finances to fly to FL for our cruises. I would suggest to the op that you will have the $$$ to fly someday, but for now, take a driving vacation to get to the port and this saves a ton of money.

Booked out over a year or two ago and seen prices soar now on those bookings-- for 2 people in a Balcony or JS.:eek:

Food is not as good. I am happy I am not cooking it but it isn't as good as it used to be.

Not going to push me to pay for specialty either as that has been a super big disappointment in Chops lately. Poor Food and Poor Service too! On two different ships.

So, we will carry on in the MDR.:)

I have many cruises over the line (10 or so) but just cannot justify the prices they want right now. If I take the kids for a week, we are looking at $4000 plus airfare plus onboard charges. I just cannot afford a $6000 vacation.

What gives, how can people afford this?

Are people really paying this price or is there a special place to get better rates?

I make a decent living but cannot justify this amount for a week.

Your not looking hard enough.....:rolleyes: