aurora semi formal

dianemh

can anyone tell, which bars will we not be able to go into if hubby isn't wearing a jacket on semi formal nights... many thanks.

If it is the same as when we were on board over Christmas, Andersons & The Crows Nest are the most 'formal' & have a board outside indicating what the dress code of the evening is (in the daytime, there is not an issue).

Generally it seemed smart casual was acceptable in the other bars (which did not say one way or the other), though it could, I guess, depend on the managers & staff in place at the time.

She is a lovely ship - our current favourite - very friendly & great fun.

If you have booked, enjoy your trip

The last time I was on Aurora my experience was the same as Karen's; smart casual was acceptable in all bars except Anderson's and the Crow's Nest, which had signs posted outside on formal nights reminding gentlemen that jacket and tie were required.

We have done may cruises on Aurora and Karen is correct.

Crows Nest & Andersons are the 2 bars which have signs indicating that the dress code must be adhered to. All other bars are smart casual, as a minimum requirement.

The dress code is also applicable to the MDR.

We are not smokers but are people allowed to smoke in any of the bars? Thought someone said they were allowed to smoke in the Crows Nest - is this still the case? Seems a shame if its the one bar that has the wonderful views.

Or is there a smokers area?

You will be able to walk through 'Champions' as it is by a corridor.:D

You can always take the jacket off when you are in the bar.:rolleyes:

But then again why go on Aurora if you do not want to follow the code. Oceana and Ventura do not have informal.

:)Happy Cruising:)

:cool:

Dai

You will be able to walk through 'Champions' as it is by a corridor.:D

You can always take the jacket off when you are in the bar.:rolleyes:

But then again why go on Aurora if you do not want to follow the code. Oceana and Ventura do not have informal.

:)Happy Cruising:)

:cool:

Dai

Perhaps they like other aspects of Aurora or her itinery and are prepared to put up with the dress code as an inconvenience, but want to know how the latter is as actually implemented in practice. Not an unreasonable question, and better to ask now than risk possible embarrasment onboard. Hence this thread.

yes quite.. the reason I am asking is we are booked on a 13 night cruise (Baltics) in May...

We have 4 formal nights and 3 semi formal nights... hubby hates suits, jackets and ties and is willing to do the 4 formal, but he isn't keen on having to wear a jacket on the 3 semi formal nights... so i had read that we wouldn't be allowed in some bars on semi formal nights if he isn't wearing a jacket...

• 2 years later...

I've found this thread through a search but realise it's from some time ago. We're new to P&O but are travelling on Aurora in June and would appreciate some advice and have the benefit of others' experience as I'm a little confused and undecided about what to pack for DH.

We have four formal evenings - no prob - take DJ

Six smart casual - ok I think - smart trousers/chinos and short-sleeved button-through shirts at the ready.

But it's the semi-formal which I find a little ambiguous having read the description in the brochure of what's acceptable. We're quite happy to comply with the dress code (prefer to eat in the mdr) and my DH has a suit and shirts/ties and/or jacket which we can take.

I just don't want to take more than is necessary though from a volume point of view (weight not an issue) so could those who are familiar with Aurora please tell me on Semi-formal nights what do most men wear, suits or jackets? Also from the brochure it looks as though wearing a jackets avoids the necessitiy for a tie. Is this correct?

Any advice/clarification would be much appreciated.

I've found this thread through a search but realise it's from some time ago. We're new to P&O but are travelling on Aurora in June and would appreciate some advice and have the benefit of others' experience as I'm a little confused and undecided about what to pack for DH.

We have four formal evenings - no prob - take DJ

Six smart casual - ok I think - smart trousers/chinos and short-sleeved button-through shirts at the ready.

But it's the semi-formal which I find a little ambiguous having read the description in the brochure of what's acceptable. We're quite happy to comply with the dress code (prefer to eat in the mdr) and my DH has a suit and shirts/ties and/or jacket which we can take.

I just don't want to take more than is necessary though from a volume point of view (weight not an issue) so could those who are familiar with Aurora please tell me on Semi-formal nights what do most men wear, suits or jackets? Also from the brochure it looks as though wearing a jackets avoids the necessitiy for a tie. Is this correct?

Any advice/clarification would be much appreciated.

You will be fine in a jacket and trousers shirt and tie or no tie. Or a suit and shirt and tie. I tend to wear a tie as they would never get worn other wise. I would say it is approaching 50/50 for tie wearing. On a longer cruise I would take a couple of jackets. I do not have a suit apart from DJ's

Gan Canny

Dai

HI Kruzseeka, you following me :D

On P&O 'smart-jacket required' evenings require a jacket for entry into the listed venues but no tie is required. You can of course wear a jacket and tie or even a suit if you want.

I have a lightweight linen jacket for these evenings as for men it is essentially 'evening casual' with a jacket thrown on to get you into the venue.

although i have two dinner suits I am taking a navy blue suit on my next Arcadia cruise as i think it is more versatile. You get more individuality from a shirt and tie plus!

You can wear the trousers on informal evenings.

You can wear the jacket as casual with different coloured trousers.

Check the P&O site where you will find all the details

How can we help?

Life on board

What will be the dress code whilst I am on board question

You can then drill down and find out all the info for each ship/cruise including which venues requre the code for the evening

HI Kruzseeka, you following me :D

On P&O 'smart-jacket required' evenings require a jacket for entry into the listed venues but no tie is required. You can of course wear a jacket and tie or even a suit if you want.

I have a lightweight linen jacket for these evenings as for men it is essentially 'evening casual' with a jacket thrown on to get you into the venue.

although i have two dinner suits I am taking a navy blue suit on my next Arcadia cruise as i think it is more versatile. You get more individuality from a shirt and tie plus!

You can wear the trousers on informal evenings.

You can wear the jacket as casual with different coloured trousers.

Check the P&O site where you will find all the details

How can we help?

Life on board

What will be the dress code whilst I am on board question

You can then drill down and find out all the info for each ship/cruise including which venues requre the code for the evening

You are agreeing with me again. :rolleyes::eek:

Gan Canny

Dai

You are agreeing with me again. :rolleyes::eek:

Gan Canny

Dai

Of course I agree, on this issue;):)

Traditional P&O dress code argu.... er discussions are not really neccessary now that the information is available on their web site.

One for Kruzseeka, don't forget your thermals :eek: I am cruising the Baltic next month and have been checking the weather over there - eek!

Thanks very much Dai and Dave - that's helped a lot. Just don't want to go and find we've left more suitable clothing at home in favour of something which isn't as useful or acceptable! Like you Dai I think DH's ties could do with an outing and your versatile solution sounds good Dave.

Yes - the crops and tops are staying at home Dave - bit different from the last jaunt to the Caribbean! But after reading all the glowing reports of the Iceland cruise you and others did I've been itching to go there. Guess it's much like the North Cape for clothing requirements (excellent deal on that itinerary currently by the way!). Having said that we were in Tromso when it was 30 degrees - mind we had scarves, hats and gloves on at the North Cape and it was so foggy had we not been before I swear we'd never have found the iconic sculpture there!

Enjoy the Baltics Dave - and don't go fishing on any ice floes! ;)

Just beware though - I went to the Baltic in May 2011 and it was scorching! You need to prepare for every eventuality!

Have a lovely time on Aurora - a great ship.

Just beware though - I went to the Baltic in May 2011 and it was scorching! You need to prepare for every eventuality!

Have a lovely time on Aurora - a great ship.

Thank you Sharon - we're very much looking forward to it.

what sort of clothes do men tend to wear on semi formal?

A DJ is fine for formal, but for semi formal we are at a quandry. Smart casual it will be nice shirt and smart jeans.

Boyfriend has many work suits, but they tend to look a bit strange without the tie (or like we are at work with the tie).

A blazer could be okay, but all the models wearing these at M&S/Debehams always wear with jeans, which is a good look in a casual office but not okay here.

And we are failing to find any sort of "summer crumpled light colour suit", which would be suitable for say a wedding as well.

Blazer and slacks would be okay, if he wasn't 34!

what sort of clothes do men tend to wear on semi formal?

A DJ is fine for formal, but for semi formal we are at a quandry. Smart casual it will be nice shirt and smart jeans.

Boyfriend has many work suits, but they tend to look a bit strange without the tie (or like we are at work with the tie).

A blazer could be okay, but all the models wearing these at M&S/Debehams always wear with jeans, which is a good look in a casual office but not okay here.

And we are failing to find any sort of "summer crumpled light colour suit", which would be suitable for say a wedding as well.

Blazer and slacks would be okay, if he wasn't 34!

Your well known MandS store has lightweight and linen suits for reasonable prices. i have a linen jacket and there are trousers to match.

Or will one of the work suit jackets look OK with contrasting trousers?

You have to be careful here though

Your well known MandS store has lightweight and linen suits for reasonable prices. i have a linen jacket and there are trousers to match.

Or will one of the work suit jackets look OK with contrasting trousers?

You have to be careful here though

thanks. Careful as in the suit trousers and contrasting trousers may look odd?

Will check our M&S again for a linen jacket and trousers, I assume these would be okay for the P&) requirement?

I may be getting old, but I don't think smart and jeans belong in the same sentence.lol

Brian

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk HD

I would agree with all of that post, even the bit about getting old, me that is :)

thanks. Careful as in the suit trousers and contrasting trousers may look odd?

Will check our M&S again for a linen jacket and trousers, I assume these would be okay for the P&) requirement?

Yes, the linen suit would be perfectly fine. My OH wears a pale blue cotton jacket with chinos or similar and polo shirt on Jacket Required evenings in warmer weather. He's just bought a slightly more formal but not blazer type jacket for other evenings. He'll team these with one of the pairs of trousers he wears on smart casual evenings and an open necked shirt. He always used to wear a suit, tie etc but on recent cruises he's gradually got less formal and feels very comfortable dressing how he does now. By the end of our last cruise, all the other men at our table had followed suit (pardon the pun!) and felt much more relaxed.

I think as long as men are wearing a jacket and smart trousers it seems perfectly acceptable but you'll still see traditionalists. Nobody is wrong if they're sticking to the dress codeeven if it is interpreted individually.

Archived