Ultimate ship's tour

Slyfox16

I had read somewhere about an "ultimate ship's tour" Does anyone know what this consists of and how you can sign up for it?

It is a behind the scenes tour that includes stops at the galley, backstage, print shop, photo department, medical department, laundry area, engine control room (not the engine room), the funnel, and the bridge. At each top the head of the department isw there to talk about the department and answer questions.

Usually takes about three hours and includes souvenirs such as a bathrobe, chef's jacket, several photos, personalized stationery.

Cost is $150 and is worth it.

Sign up at the Purser's desk as soon as possible when you board. Tour is limited to 12 people and is only held once per cruise, often on the final sea day.

We took the UST last month and it was worth every penny. We signed up at the purser's office as soon as we got on the ship. It was a three hour tour and includes champagne and hors d'oeuvres on the bridge with the Captain, and chocolate dipped strawberrys and champagne in the galley.

We did this on dour recent 15-day Panama Canal cruise on the Island. It was great! We enjoyed meeting the Executive Chef, the Captain and many of the staff. We had sweet treats in the galley and Champagne and Caviar (and more) in the Captain's Lounge.

They take pictures at each stop (no cameras were allowed) and our "goodies" were delivered to our cabin later that day. We each received a Chef's coat, a plush Princess robe and a personalized memo pad of paper.

At first, we did not get the picture with the Captain, but it showed up the next day with his autograph.

It was a wonderful experience but I don't think I would need to do it again.

Finding room in our luggage for the 2 Chef's coats and 2 plush robes was a challenge! The robes are very, very plush!

Be sure to sign up at the Passenger Services Desk as soon as you board. If there are more signed up than can be accommodated, they will treat it as a lottery and you have to hope you get chosen. There were 10 on our tour, they said 16 is the limit. In my opinion, 16 would be too many! I liked the size of our group.

Slyfox, I had no interest in the tour but encouraged my husband to do it on the Island. He signed up shortly after boarding and the purser told us it was a lottery system so they draw names if more than 12 sign up. They had 16 sign up and took them all on the tour anyway. You have to fill some forms and Princess does a security check on everyone before allowing them on the tour. The letter of tour confirmation says no cameras but I'd read others posts where people said they could take photos at the bridge and told my husband to take the camera anyway. They were not allowed to take photos on the tour due to time constraints and secure areas. However they were allowed to take photos on the bridge and there he was the only one with a camera. Several people asked if they could get copies of the photos. So I'd recommend carrying a camera in your pocket and when you get to the bridge ask if you can take pictures. Here are a few photos of the bridge that my husband took. http://appytales.blogspot.com/2010/09/photos-taken-on-bridge-of-island.html

Finding room in our luggage for the 2 Chef's coats and 2 plush robes was a challenge! The robes are very, very plush!

For those that plan on taking this wonderful (IMHO) tour, bring along one (or 2) of those "If-It-Fits, It-Ships" flat rate boxes from the Post Office. They pack flat in your suitcase and take up minimal space. After you receive your robes and Chef's jackets, you can pack them and any thing else that might fit and ship them home. This way, you avoid trying to jam everything in your suitcase and adding to the weight. The shipping cost is much less than the "over weight at the airport" cost.

Yes, bring your camera! They did allow us to take pictures while on the bridge. Another thing they don't tell you on your invitation when you are invited on the tour...Closed Toe Shoes!!! There were a couple of ladies in our group who did not have closed toe shoes on and the guide made them go back to their room and change them. This might not be true for all ships...it seems our Guide was very adamant about safety!

For those that plan on taking this wonderful (IMHO) tour, bring along one (or 2) of those "If-It-Fits, It-Ships" flat rate boxes from the Post Office. They pack flat in your suitcase and take up minimal space. After you receive your robes and Chef's jackets, you can pack them and any thing else that might fit and ship them home. This way, you avoid trying to jam everything in your suitcase and adding to the weight. The shipping cost is much less than the "over weight at the airport" cost.

This is a great idea! And I want to do this UST on my next cruise which will actually be ending in the U.S., so definitely a workable plan! I've done this on land trips, too, mailing books home (on cruises, I just leave them in the book exchange in the ship's library). I love the Post Office: such awesome service for such a relatively small price.

• 4 weeks later...

Another option to mailing the robes & jackets back is to bring a couple of the large compression bags that you squeeze the air out of. That's what I did and I was able to get the robe and jacket in my luggage. That's assuming you still have a little room left in your luggage after packing all your souvenirs.

The tour is limited to a max of 12 people and you will be notified the night before the last sea day if you are selected to go on the tour. It is done by lottery so there in no guarantee you will be selected to go on the tour.

Went on the UST last August on the Emerald. I have to say everytime I put my plush Princess bathrobe on I cant help but smile. :)

The cruise was W. Caribbean and I did not have closed toed shoes. I wore my flip flops and no one said anything about it. I guess if it was really a problem they would not have let me go, but if you are planning to do the UST, take your CTS and you wont be disappointed if you have to have them.:rolleyes:

The one thing I wish they could do different is take an individual picture, they take group pictures and I didnt know anyone on the tour so it isnt like I am going to be displaying the pictures anywhere. Nice souvenir however.

Lots of fun and great info to boot. I would do it again.

Just off the Star Princess and stayed away from considering this primarily due to the cost. Sounds like everybody loves it and will certainly sign up for this on our next Princess cruise next April. Information is greatly appreciated.

Hi

We took the UST last year on a FLL-Vancouver repo...this was great because we could just carry off the goodies, no flight home needed.

Of our group of 8, we were the only ones to go, and I think it was well worth it...we have paid more for excursions, and did not get the value that the UST was.

The robes are great for the hot tub here in the cool Pacific Northwest :o

We, too were told that closed toed shoes were a MUST..no exceptions.

The tour of the galley, with peeks into the meat/veggie prep areas was fascinating...much more in-depth than the free galley tour. My DH was really interested in the chief engineers area, as well.

This is a must-do, at least once.

Just off the Star Princess and stayed away from considering this primarily due to the cost. Sounds like everybody loves it and will certainly sign up for this on our next Princess cruise next April. Information is greatly appreciated.

I agree about the cost -- it's 2 x $150 = $300 for a couple. However, my wife really wanted a bathrobe (you get 2 per couple on the tour), so there was $45. Also, the second bathrobe and one of the chefs jacket make good presents for my parents birthday this month which we'd likely have paid $80 for. There were a couple of drinks included, and if we'd spent the day poolside we'd have likely spent $25 or so on drinks.

Using net accounting, I figure it really cost us total of 300-45-25-80 = $150.

Sheesh, I should become a government accountant :)

I agree about the cost -- it's 2 x $150 = $300 for a couple. However, my wife really wanted a bathrobe (you get 2 per couple on the tour), so there was $45.

I've never taken the UST but got the impression that it included the plush robe & not the thin ones provided to use in our cabins. Since you said it was a $45 robe could you confirm it was the thin robe & not the plush one sold for around $85 in the gift shop...thanks. :)

It is the plush robes they sell for $90 in the gift shop. LOVE IT!!

I've never taken the UST but got the impression that it included the plush robe & not the thin ones provided to use in our cabins. Since you said it was a $45 robe could you confirm it was the thin robe & not the plush one sold for around $85 in the gift shop...thanks. :)

Archived