Amtrak Cascades - Coach vs Business

hexdragon

We will be taking the Amtrak Cascades between Seattle and Vancouver. the price between Coach and Business class is only $13 each way. Is it worth it? The seats look larger... I heard something about priority boarding????

Yes indeed. Seating is reserved (not sure about coach) it's not so much the boarding as the getting off that's the real bonus.

First off and first at Customs an Immigration.

(north bound)

Seating and was next to amenities car.

Cool, thanks. BTW, how was the train ride? The last time I was on a train was 30 some odd years ago... (:eek: man I am getting old...)

Used the AAA discount and also bought the reserved Business class ticket. Long ride to Vancouver but quite and relaxing. To see it, please feel free to check out the images from that day (starting with picture 287 and continue on):

http://2010northernalaskacruise.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

Happy cruising!

Cool, thanks. BTW, how was the train ride? The last time I was on a train was 30 some odd years ago... (:eek: man I am getting old...)

YOu will be pleasantly surprised with most of the track in the USA....and recall the track of 30 yrs ago as being the same as a lot in Canada. Thankfully most of the ride is south of Our Border.

In Seattle, the Amtrak station is just a block away from a light rail stop. You can take the light rail to the aiport. I think a ticket is $2.50. In Vancouver, we are planning to take a cab to the Amtrak station. The station is about a mile and a half from Canada Place.

In Seattle, the Amtrak station is just a block away from a light rail stop. You can take the light rail to the aiport. I think a ticket is $2.50. In Vancouver, we are planning to take a cab to the Amtrak station. The station is about a mile and a half from Canada Place.

There is a monorail that will take you from the Amtrak station to Canada Place. The monorail station is visible from the main entrance of the Amtrak station. You will need to have Canadian money to purchase a ticket.

There is a monorail that will take you from the Amtrak station to Canada Place. The monorail station is visible from the main entrance of the Amtrak station. You will need to have Canadian money to purchase a ticket.

The monorail in Vancouver is called SkyTrain and it will transport you from Waterfront station to the Main Street station and vis versa. The adult fare is $2.50 CDN however there are scanners that will take US credit cards and some US ATM cards. The Waterfront station is about a 2.5 block walk to/from Canada Place and Main Street station is about .5 block walk from the Pacific Central Station which is what Amtrak uses.

• 2 weeks later...

We were wondering how early we need to be at the train stations before departure. Amtrak says our luggage needs to be checked a 1/2 hr before. Does that mean we need to be there 45 minutes - 1 hr before????

Please explain the "First Off" for business class. It's not like there is only one door like an airplane...

We were wondering how early we need to be at the train stations before departure. Amtrak says our luggage needs to be checked a 1/2 hr before. Does that mean we need to be there 45 minutes - 1 hr before????

Please explain the "First Off" for business class. It's not like there is only one door like an airplane...

But, yes in a way, it is only "one" door. Business class is let off first, with their bags lined up. Coach bags come later,and then they then OPEN the vestibule and let off the "regular" people. It isn't that long of a wait, in my experience.

The monorail in Vancouver is called SkyTrain and it will transport you from Waterfront station to the Main Street station and vis versa. The adult fare is $2.50 CDN however there are scanners that will take US credit cards and some US ATM cards. The Waterfront station is about a 2.5 block walk to/from Canada Place and Main Street station is about .5 block walk from the Pacific Central Station which is what Amtrak uses.

Adding to this, Arriving in Vancouver, you are going to exit the station, and turn left, walk toward the station. At the corner, there are stairs. CROSS the street, IF you want to use the elevator. Buy your tickets from the machines, they did take credit cards.

At the Waterfront station, your exit is going to be on the right, prior to leaving the station. This will put you right near Canada Place. The total, walk will depend what side you are docked on. But all enter via the same security, baggage drop etc. I just head down the sidewalk, going to the drop off area. You can enter the Pan Pacific and take the elevators.

Archived