Jewel - shopping and dining a severe disappointment

pisces1

I agree with PP who said you cant compare NCL to Cunard, HAL, Celebrity, etc.... Those cruiselines are in a totally diff category. If I paid the price for those extravengent cruises, I most certainly would expect my food to be outstanding each and every time... Basically you get what you pay for... and being an experienced cruiser, you should have taken that into account... Some of us prob spend 1/4 of what you spent to board that NCL cruise but we all get the same food so type of room booked is irrelevant

Have not been on The Jewel but have been on The Gem recently. Agree with you about NCL. For some reason the NCl board has very loyal cheerleaders. God forbid if you post someting critical of NCL. Your observations are as valid as the next persons.............

yes, the NCL board does have a group of cheerleaders, just like all boards and that is the way it should be, but if you think the loyalists here are bad, try some of the other boards. They make NCL seem mild. At least most of us can admit, NCL isn't perfect and as good as our cruising experience usually is, there is room for improvement. A few of the line loyalists on other boards will say there is nothing but 100% satisfaction on thier line of choice.

Nita

At least most of us can admit, NCL isn't perfect and as good as our cruising experience usually is, there is room for improvement.

Nita

Yes!..I have had my share of "problems" with NCL over the years and posted them here on CC..(last being the total lack of communication with delays in our December cruise )

I have always posted the good and the bad... and isn't that what this board is for?

Also..as other have said...when there are problems..say something...! How can things be fixed if they are not told ! I was once thanked profusely for reporting a glitch in bar set up delivery to a HD...he said he wished others would do the same..they are there to make the customers happy..!

OP,

I trimmed your post down to this paragraph...

Nothing struck my fancy so I ordered a steak with a red wine sauce and frites (fries). I wish I could remember what my husband ordered but it was that forgettable. The dining room was a bit chaotic. This can definitely be attributed to the "free style" dining concept, but you take the good with the bad. The NY Strip looked like a Country Buffet reject. Thin, overcooked and curled at the edges. After one bite, I turned to my fries for consolation. Surprisingly, they were very good. McDonald like.

Not trying to be a cork bag or anything, but doesn't that bolded sentence invalidate everything else you have said? :eek:

Derek

Yes!..I have had my share of "problems" with NCL over the years and posted them here on CC..(last being the total lack of communication with delays in our December cruise )

I have always posted the good and the bad... and isn't that what this board is for?

Also..as other have said...when there are problems..say something...! How can things be fixed if they are not told ! I was once thanked profusely for reporting a glitch in bar set up delivery to a HD...he said he wished others would do the same..they are there to make the customers happy..!

I agree. The only time I really complained and it was more to voice an opinion, (I wasn't looking for anything) was on the Spirit a couple of years ago. After 6 days of below par service from our cabin stewards I decided to tell the hotel manager. He not only thanked me but wondered why I said something sooner. I didn't feel any one thing deserved to be reported, but after several little issues I did want him to know.

As for communication: if NCL has one constant problem or challenge it is the communication situation with decisions that affect those on the ship and those about to board. Yes, I think that was witnessed in Dec and again a few weeks ago.

Nita

Being that you're already paying for food, $25 p/p does seem high. NCL has the cheapest prices (usually) but the worst food of the major cruislines. This seems to be the opinion of most experienced cruisers except for the NCL cheerleaders of whom some are TAs which get a better commission by booking more NCL cruises.

I honestly do not know if you could have posted anything more untrue. NCL is known in the TA industry as paying some of the lowest commissions to TA's. Plus a TA's bread and butter is repeat business, not the initial sale. For a TA to try to book folks on a vacation that the TA does not believe provides the best value for experience, they are cutting their own throat.

• 2 weeks later...
No, you're not paying MUCH more, because NCL's expenditure for food per passenger per day is under $10, and that includes the food for every meal and snack you eat.

So let's revise the figure to $35. Again I ask...please name a restaurant that serves a full course dinner with actual USDA Prime steak for $35?

I am just happy you finally see your error. Now to your next claim that food costs NCL less than $10 per passenger per day....

I have cruised NCL and Cunard and I agree that NCL food is way below Cunard standards but the base cruise price (inside cabins) are MUCH lower on NCL so your expectations have to reflect this.

I have always found NCL DR dinners to be good (except for one occasion when it was inedible but only once in over 30 dinners in the MDR) but far from spectacular. The only time I went to Cagney's for dinner, I wasn't that impressed so I never returned but on every sailing I go to Le Bistro once or twice and I have always LOVED every course I had there, I think the food in Le Bistro compares to Cunard Main Dinning Room (Le Bistro being a step above IMHO) and I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your dinner there; it shows that people have different tastes. I also enjoy Mama's and Tango's/Salsa very much, always had great dinners for the price; the quality/taste would compare to Cunard Main dinning room.

The way I see it when I go on NCL is that I don't expect 5 star food in the dinning room but if I want very good food, I have always been happy with their specialty restaurant and even adding the cost of those meals, the total cruise cost is lower than Cunard.

Just my opinion, I was happy to read yours.

While I agree that the food in the mdr on NCL isn't great by any means, I do differ in opinion on the surcharge restaurants. I have never had a bad meal in those venues....just my opinion. I can't compare to HAL or Princess, but have sailed Celebrity and the mdr food was (at least back in 2006) quite excellent....but then again CCL's mdr food back in 2006 was even better than Celebrity's. Today, that might not be the case.

The shopping thing is where I roll my eyes however...I just don't get people who shop on ships for art or jewelry or anything of value.

Tee shirts and costume jewelry?? Sure. Good stuff?? NO way. So the comments about the amber didn't surprise me (it did surprise me that the OP was shocked by the mark-ups)...even the cosmetics/perfumes...I just can't see buying this stuff on a ship.

OP thanks for posting your thoughts. :)

The way I see it when I go on NCL is that I don't expect 5 star food in the dinning room but if I want very good food, I have always been happy with their specialty restaurant and even adding the cost of those meals, the total cruise cost is lower than Cunard.

I agree. :)

I folks just my 2 cents There was a show on the Travel Channel about a cruise lines weekly profit. What they did is sent a reporter on board a RCCl ship for 1 week and he reported live on how they make revenue, at the end of this cruise he sat down and talked with the CEO. That week they broke even. So that being said, so the food is not the best,so sometimes the shows are not that great, so the stores are a little over priced. You tell me, There is not a land vacation where you get all the food you want 24/7 ,shows. free health club, room with an ocean view,where you dont even have to get out of your lounge chair for a cold cocktail, for what you pay for a cruise as for me its the cheapest vacation you can get for your dollar Sorry just had to vent

When I sail in a NCL suite, I eat almost every breakfast and lunch at Cagney's. It is a wonderful suite perk. While not available to all, I would have thought a "foodie" would concentrate their time there. Were the trips to the buffet at breakfast and luck just to see how the other half lives? Or just to remind you that some other guests will selectively spoon the shrimp out of the fried rice, leaving only tiny or no shrimp for others?

After breakfast and lunch at Cagney's, the canape's (or any substitute) are certainly uninteresting to me- just too full. I do think Celebrity's dinner menus are much better than NCL, but the lines have very different styles, different clientele and different prices. On my only HAL sailing, I found their menus dull and food bland; I have seen no reason to go back. I'll leave Cunard to somebody else.

No, you're not paying MUCH more, because NCL's expenditure for food per passenger per day is under $10, and that includes the food for every meal and snack you eat.....

Well I'm thinking that could explain why you hear lots of comments on people not liking NCL's food - lol.

Yeah, yeah...I know someone will say that is the figure for all cruiselines....based on huge purchasing power, whatever....but still - under $10. a day!!!! Couldn't resist!

OP,

I trimmed your post down to this paragraph...

Not trying to be a cork bag or anything, but doesn't that bolded sentence invalidate everything else you have said? :eek:

Derek

She's not saying McDonald's is gourmet, just that the fries are quite good, which I agree with.

I have cruised NCL and Cunard and I agree that NCL food is way below Cunard standards but the base cruise price (inside cabins) are MUCH lower on NCL so your expectations have to reflect this.

I have always found NCL DR dinners to be good (except for one occasion when it was inedible but only once in over 30 dinners in the MDR) but far from spectacular. The only time I went to Cagney's for dinner, I wasn't that impressed so I never returned but on every sailing I go to Le Bistro once or twice and I have always LOVED every course I had there, I think the food in Le Bistro compares to Cunard Main Dinning Room (Le Bistro being a step above IMHO) and I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your dinner there; it shows that people have different tastes. I also enjoy Mama's and Tango's/Salsa very much, always had great dinners for the price; the quality/taste would compare to Cunard Main dinning room.

I agree with everything you said about Cunard vs. NCL with the exception of Mama's - their food was average IMO, not bad, just average - but yes, Tango's and Le Bistro (especially) are comparable to a Cunard MDR.

I agree with everything you said about Cunard vs. NCL with the exception of Mama's - their food was average IMO, not bad, just average - but yes, Tango's and Le Bistro (especially) are comparable to a Cunard MDR.

I had the Osso Bucco and it was melting in my mouth, definitely the best osso bucco I ever had. If you ever go back there, you might want to try it and I hope yours will be as good as mine was.

I had the Osso Bucco and it was melting in my mouth, definitely the best osso bucco I ever had. If you ever go back there, you might want to try it and I hope yours will be as good as mine was.

Thanks for the rec. I think I ordered the wrong thing.

OP, the people on these forums seem to take things out of context. You were only sharing an opinion in hopes that someone reading this may be of help to them. We should all understand that this is ones persons experience. I have been on all the Jewel class ships and the Dawn many times and can say that I have had some very nice meals and some awful ones in both the main dining room and specialty restaurants. I don't understand why everything is so different each time I eat in the restaurants when they all work from the same corporate recipes.They claim to have food and beverage managers checking consistancy. They should be able to do a better job. I own multiple restaurants and understand what it takes to provide consistancy. Don't let this forum get to you. Just remember that we cruise to relax and enjoy ourselves. I always say, it's only a meal. We eat three a day, seven day's a week. As far as the upcharge of $25 p.p. To those that think you can't get a prime steak dinner for $25, remember it's an additional $25, to your meal that you are already entitled to. Of course they can do it, and then some. A prime steak will not cost them more than $12 per portion, most likely less because of the volume that they use. Trust me, as one who is in the business and knows, they're making lots of profit when you eat at Cagney's.

Archived