Travel Insurance ~ cunard or private?

_kerry_

Hi all ~ We are about to make final payment for our summer cruise and are discussing travel insurance. Our travel agent is offering insurance a little cheaper than cunard. Should we go with the cheaper outfit. Insurances cover similar amounts.

Does anyone have any history with Cunards travel insurance?

Any help or advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Kerry

I have not found Cunard's coverage to be cost effective. Maybe others have...

I want insurance that will cover my whole vacation, not just the cruise, so I go with a private insurer. There are many out there, we use Travelguard, but as I said there are many available, including AAA.

It pays to do some price comparison. As for your T/A's coverage, who is the underwriter...the one actually insuring you. If you don't know the company or find out anything about it...

Hi all ~ We are about to make final payment for our summer cruise and are discussing travel insurance. Our travel agent is offering insurance a little cheaper than cunard. Should we go with the cheaper outfit. Insurances cover similar amounts.

Thanks

Kerry

We usually use AIGs, Travelguard... seems to be much cheaper than the cruise line insurance, and covers everything I need. very thankful we've never needed to use it, but it's nice to know it is there in case you do.

I too have used other insurance suppliers such as CSA, Travelers and currently Travelex (which has a family of plans with varying levels of insurance coverage) as the cost was lower than Cunard insurance and met my needs.

Do not make your decision solely on price. Most insurance companies have links on their websites to download their travel protection plans which have all the details. You should read the definitions, exclusions (there will be quite a few) and the specifics of each bit of coverage so you know what you are really getting. For example, since you are purchasing your insurance right before final payment, most policies do not cover losses due to existing medical conditions or terrorist activity in a city on your itinerary unless the insurance is purchased for the full value of the trip and paid for within X days after the initial trip booking.

Once you have read the "fine print," then you can make the best decision based on your needs. When dealing with the unknown, it is always better to be safe than sorry.

If you are at final payment and have not purchased insurance then you will not be covered for pre-existing conditions without a look back period unless you purchase CSA Freestyle Lux. I don't know if you have pre-existing conditions but just be informed what is covered.

You should also be aware that some travel insurance policies do not cover cruises or will only cover them if the Insurer is advised before the cruise takes place and their additional premium is paid. I know that most do, and there are cruise specific products but this certainly happens regularly in UK. The thing that you should or must do is read the policy.

If you are at final payment and have not purchased insurance then you will not be covered for pre-existing conditions without a look back period unless you purchase CSA Freestyle Lux. I don't know if you have pre-existing conditions but just be informed what is covered.

There are other carriers which cover pre-existing conditions as long as you purchase before final payment. Larger agencies have access to these policies.

Thanks

Kerry

Check out www.insuremytrip.com -- they compare numerous different insurance plans and prices based upon your specific cruise/trip details. In my experience, you can get the same coverage much cheaper than Cunard.

Thanks

Kerry

We use Access America. My partner has a "preexisting" condition & they're one of the few that allow it. The Dr. note does have to say you're fit for travel(obviously)at the time of purchaseing the ins. Most cruiseline plans have loopholes you could pilot the ship through. As with any plan, READ the fine print. I can't stress that enough!!

I was surprised when I booked our TA for September, I used insuremytrip.com to do a price comparison, and was shocked to find that the Cunard Care for this trip was actually less than the other companies. I've never found this to be true in the past.....I was curious as if it was specific to the TA with no port calls as opposed to a multi port itinerary.

I was surprised when I booked our TA for September, I used insuremytrip.com to do a price comparison, and was shocked to find that the Cunard Care for this trip was actually less than the other companies. I've never found this to be true in the past.....I was curious as if it was specific to the TA with no port calls as opposed to a multi port itinerary.

Amazing!! Will have to consider Cunard Care for my next transatlantic!

We will be using a combination of points and miles for our trip and London stay before our WB TA in July. Any suggestions on how to handle coverage for those "costs?"

I asked our TA for her opinion but will check insuremytrip.com as well.

Thanks - Tom

It was because the policies you found online are age based. I have two insurance vendors that beat Cunard every time... and everything on insuremytrip.com

referring across to the thread on rip off britain i just tried 2 test bookings with a us ta. in each case they included insurance in the final price. we have our own annual insurance do we have to take out the us insurance. there was no method of deleting this cost on the booking form.

sorry about all lower case still got one arm in a cast.

gari

referring across to the thread on rip off britain i just tried 2 test bookings with a us ta. in each case they included insurance in the final price. we have our own annual insurance do we have to take out the us insurance. there was no method of deleting this cost on the booking form.

sorry about all lower case still got one arm in a cast.

gari

Gari, sorry to hear that you are in the wars, afaik Insurance should be optional unless it is supplied as one of their terms and conditions. They will earn at least 20% to 40% commission from the premium that is charged so it is a big revenue source. Email me and I will put you in touch with some that you can contact who don't do this stuff.

Gari, sorry to hear that you are in the wars, afaik Insurance should be optional unless it is supplied as one of their terms and conditions. They will earn at least 20% to 40% commission from the premium that is charged so it is a big revenue source. Email me and I will put you in touch with some that you can contact who don't do this stuff.

many tks cap'n don't have your email. mine is ope7wm at sky dot com

ant info gratefully rcvd.

gari

Archived