Aussies Disadvantaged by Oceania

Rogey

...do not allow me to book a cruise in a region other than the one I reside in. Prinicpally most of us would like to book in the USA. This situation is getting worse, not better.

Yes, the rules lag behind the times, especially in this internet age, and there may no longer be a reason use the GSA system, but if the passenger lists remain full of Aussies who are "biting the bullet" what is the incentive to change?

This situation is getting worse, not better.
Worse in terms of price for the targeted consumers, but better for the regions' authorized distributors.

the rules lag behind the times, especially in this internet age
Actually I agree with this part of your statement, but for opposite reasons. I believe that the internet age has actually spawned these rules. Before the proliferation of the Internet GSAs had full control of their designated geographical market, and then came the Internet. They are now establishing rules to prevent those who have been usurping their authority over the past decade or so. Probably not the answer many want to hear, but probably closer to the truth.

Once again an example: if you live outside the US try going to Dell.com and purchasing a computer. This is the model to which many companies are aspiring. It is in a company's best interest to have a GSA that knows the people, customs and geographical region and can provide more efficient logistics than doing it remotely.

This model has been implemented in a variety of fashions by other companies, but with similar results. When I purchase my Circle Pacific tickets I do so from the Walsh Group in Hong Kong who is the American Airlines GSA. I have to physically be present and purchase the ticket in their Hong Kong Office and the origination point for my ticket has to be Hong Kong in order to save about $5000. It is worth it IMO.

In the scheme of things the Internet is still in its infancy and things like this will be changing over the coming years due to governance, supply and demand, logistics, resulting company decisions, etc. This is not unique to Oceania.

There are presently only 7 cruise lines that prohibit Aussies from booking in the USA. I am presently investigating Seabourne with whom I can book with a US TA. There are others out there too such as Silver Seas, Azamara, Regent, all of which have top star rating and go to most places in the world one could wish to visit, Karri Bay

I don't think there is any secret about this and would hardly be against CC rules.

I did not say it WAS against the rules just that it probably is

You are not allowed to mention TA's so a GSA may also be included in that category

It was list on O's website at one time but have not checked lately

Lyn

Hi I am an Aussie who has booked her second cruise on Oceania and am happy to do so - why because I want a point of difference I don't want thousands of fellow passengers around, I want something special and Oceania delivers this - I just want to make this point if I choose to buy a Mercedes Benz rather than a Ford - I expect to be paying extra for service etc. Isn't it the same with cruising you pay for what you get and I for one am happy to pay extra for Oceania. We do get discounts I booked early and got 30% off the brochure quoted world price - yes Oceania is expensive compared to other companies - and maybe next time I will look at other cruise companies (Holland America) come to mind - but maybe not if I get as good an experience as I had on my previous cruise - I will save that extra to cruise with in my terms "the best".....Happy cruising....V.:)

I am about to book a cruise with Marina in May 2012. I have been asked to pay $1500pp deposit. I am OK with that but my TA tells me the balance is due in August 2011.. Surely this is unreasonable as I was under the impression that final balance was due 90 days before sailing not 9 months from sailing. It certainly was the case when I booked with a US TA last year. Who is earning interest on my money here? Karri Bay

I am about to book a cruise with Marina in May 2012. I have been asked to pay $1500pp deposit. I am OK with that but my TA tells me the balance is due in August 2011.. Surely this is unreasonable as I was under the impression that final balance was due 90 days before sailing not 9 months from sailing. It certainly was the case when I booked with a US TA last year. Who is earning interest on my money here? Karri Bay

There a a way around some of this. Email me your phone number and I will call you. rhohea23@yahoo.com.au

With our Riviera cruise on April 14, 2012 we were advised in writing by Oceania Miami that the deposit was $750pp, balance was due Jan 14, 2012. When we got the 2nd letter from Oceania in Australia, the deposit had gone up to $1250 pp with a blance date of Dec 15, 2011.

Rhonda

[...] but if the passenger lists remain full of Aussies who are "biting the bullet" what is the incentive to change?

That may be true, but unfortunately we want to travel now, and not when this has been changed. Call me selfish, but I'm not prepared to stop travelling where & when I want in order to make it cheaper for future travellers.

This does not only occur for cruise lines & airfares but seems to happen all over the travel industry. We did a Globus tour of Russia & Northern Europe and Australia/New Zealand passengers paid $1800 more than US/Canadian passengers. We could not book through US Globus.

I'm not certain of this, but this cruise issue is a relatively new problem for us. I believe we were able to book with US websites etc a couple of years back but this has now changed. Can anyone confirm?

I do think that the title of the thread is a little unfair - it suggests that Australians are unfairly disadvantaged by Oceania. Unfortunately it is prevalent throughout the travel industry.

I'm not certain of this, but this cruise issue is a relatively new problem for us. I believe we were able to book with US websites etc a couple of years back but this has now changed. Can anyone confirm?

I booked 2 Oceania cruises in 2009 through a US agency and when I went to book in 2010 was told "Sorry we can no longer book Australians".

So not sure exactly when the rules changed but somewhere between July 2009 and Jan 2010.

I booked 2 Oceania cruises in 2009 through a US agency and when I went to book in 2010 was told "Sorry we can no longer book Australians".

So not sure exactly when the rules changed but somewhere between July 2009 and Jan 2010.

I'm told that Australians booking Overseas was always against the rules, but before the Internet, that scenario was rare enough that it was not an issue and therefore not strictly enforced.

When the folks down under started to catch on, and moved their business, was when the U.S. Agents who took the bookings were chastised.

• 2 weeks later...

If Australians are upset with Oceania's pricing for them, they may consider Silversea instead for similar fares -- Silversea has a corporate office in Australia itself, and therefore not likely to have sole agents and surcharges.

Of course, as Oceania begins to have difficulty filling its ships, it may change its policy and start to entice Australians too. Take a look at the various voyages Oceania offers from now till the end of the year (on their website), the majority of them have vacancies in the basic categories (regular balconied cabins). This is rather different from last year and the years before. The effects of Oceania's ever rapidly increasing fares appears to be catching up on them, and adding some extras like included tips isn't going to solve the problem.

The present economic woes are likely to stay for years to come, and window dressing with bandaid changes may not be enough. What may be needed is a return to what made Oceania successful in the first place, that is its 2004 pricing (allowing only for basic inflation). This is especially true as it doubles its berths with the new large ships.

The A$ has increased in value from 48 cents in 2001 to $1.08 now. It is time for Autralians to travel the world, and come here to help our economy.

If Australians are upset with Oceania's pricing for them, they may consider Silversea instead for similar fares -- Silversea has a corporate office in Australia itself, and therefore not likely to have sole agents and surcharges.[...]
So does Oceania - the prices quoted on Oceania Australia's website are the same as the prices we are allowed to book. Oceania Australia send out flyers to all the TAs and to anyone on their mailing list (in fact I have always received it at least two days earlier than my travel agent gets hers!) announcing their specials. The same goes with Silverseas and all the cruises that interest me anyway. About the only one I know of that favours Australia is P & O - (which is not the type of cruise I am looking for).
The A$ has increased in value from 48 cents in 2001 to $1.08 now. It is time for Autralians to travel the world, and come here to help our economy.

Australians have been travelling the world for some time now. And we have certainly been doing our bit world-wide.The Australian Tourist Bureau has been trying to find ways of getting us to stay home. Not with too much success. Travel in Australia is expensive. My 18 day Oceania cruise costs AUD 200 more than a 17-day holiday around outback Queensland & Northern Territory (a lot of the accommodation is 3 star at best and only some meals are provided.) It's an easy choice for me.

As for the favourable exchange rate, all I can say from my selfish point of view is: it is about time! :p Last time we bought traveller's cheques, the exchange rate was AUD 1 = USD 0.57 (year 2000).

The last ten years has been pretty bleak for travelling Aussies (as far as exchange rate goes... don't even get me started on pounds stirling!) :eek:

So far I have been fortunate enough to not have to allow the exchange rate to hamper my travels, but I must say, it is nice booking a shore excursion and even with the conversion fee charged by the credit card, to actually get change!

Archived