Driving around Cozumel for a shore excursion....

NODAK1979

On our Norwegian cruise starting Saturday, we stop in Cozumel. I'm not too interested in most shore excursions there but my wife and I had our eye caught by using something called a "Scoot Coupe" to drive around.

So I inquired into it, and they were sold out. However, we could rent a convertible Smart Car instead if we want.

Question is...has anybody here ever driven around Cozumel?? I went to Google Maps and did a street view on this. The town certainly looks seedy...though the coast, of course, is very touristy.

So I was wondering if anybody here who has done this before would recommend just renting a vehicle and driving around the island. Other than the town itself, I'm not sure what else you'd drive to.

Thanks!

Have you ever been to Cozumel? If not' date=' be forewarned that the drivers there are crazy. I would personally not drive there, I would leave the driving up to others.[/color']

PE

Nope, first time. Just trying to find something to do and it looked interesting.

On our Norwegian cruise starting Saturday, we stop in Cozumel. I'm not too interested in most shore excursions there but my wife and I had our eye caught by using something called a "Scoot Coupe" to drive around.

So I inquired into it, and they were sold out. However, we could rent a convertible Smart Car instead if we want.

Question is...has anybody here ever driven around Cozumel?? I went to Google Maps and did a street view on this. The town certainly looks seedy...though the coast, of course, is very touristy.

So I was wondering if anybody here who has done this before would recommend just renting a vehicle and driving around the island. Other than the town itself, I'm not sure what else you'd drive to.

Thanks!

I saw that excursion and it looked like fun!

Nope, first time. Just trying to find something to do and it looked interesting.

Do you want to be active or is a beach club something that might interest you? If so I would suggest Nachi Cocom. For $49pp you get a nice beach experience that is not crowded. They limit the attendance to the first 100 people and everything is included after you pay your fee.

PE

Thanks!

We were there after a hurricane had messed it up. Got a taxi to take us around the island, and the back side is pretty sparse, but nice and not touristy. We stopped at a couple of the restaurants and had a drink and some great conversation with the locals. Much more relaxing than driving, and not very costly.

I saw that excursion and it looked like fun!

The main concern I have is just safety, I think. The town does look pretty run down. I mean, it IS Mexico after all. Maybe I just have all that drug war stuff in my head.

The main concern I have is just safety, I think. The town does look pretty run down. I mean, it IS Mexico after all. Maybe I just have all that drug war stuff in my head.

The town of San Miguel is not what I would call run down. As compared to mainland Mexico, San Miguel is quite nice. Maybe it is not what you are used too, but most places outside of the US are a bit impoverished compared to what you are used too.

You will find Cozumel to be very different from mainland Mexico.

PE

We were there after a hurricane had messed it up. Got a taxi to take us around the island, and the back side is pretty sparse, but nice and not touristy. We stopped at a couple of the restaurants and had a drink and some great conversation with the locals. Much more relaxing than driving, and not very costly.

Do you recall what you spent on the taxi?

Do you want to be active or is a beach club something that might interest you? If so I would suggest Nachi Cocom. For $49pp you get a nice beach experience that is not crowded. They limit the attendance to the first 100 people and everything is included after you pay your fee.

PE

Everything included as in alcoholic beverages as well?

We have rented VW's and scooters to drive the road around the island. Both times it was very fun. We did have one problem, SIL wrecked her scooter. Just be really careful and watch out for the crazies. DO get the insurance!!!

I'd be hesitant to drive myself, scooter or otherwise. A wreck and you can likely miss the boat. I believe a taxi to drive you for a couple of hours around the island was about $80. And the town (Cozumel's town) is actually quite nice, not seedy, but a fun walking , shopping, and eating experience. THe vendors will indeed try to sell you their wares but I didn't think they were very aggressive.

Thanks!

Kinda short notice, but google CarrieonCozumel or SenoraJosefina'sCocinaconAmor. If you are interested in food, this is a lady who cooks you a Mexican meal in her private home. She takes you to the neighborhood store to purchase ingredients then back to her house to prepare the meal with you assisting her. We did chicken mole and it was wonderful. Group size is limited, and this is a short time frame but if you like Mexican food and want a real experience instead of the usual cruise excursion check it out.

Just got back from the Spirit cruise. We rented a VW convertible for $40 in Cozumel and drove around the island. The roads are pretty straightforward in the city. If it runs parallel to the ocean you have the right of way. If not, you have a stop sign on every corner. Once on the main road (the only road) we drove around the island. We stopped at Punta Sur and did the light house and small ruins. We could also snorkel if we wanted to. After that we kept driving and stopped at Coconuts to have food and relax. This place was great.

Once we were done, we went back on the road, filed up the gas tank and returned the car. The drivers were fine. No one tried to scam us the pump. We returned the car with about an hour left to walk around and shop.

Me either, I would be scared to death :eek:

On a side note my in laws just did the ATV tour and had a blast; they are 60.

Have you ever been to Cozumel? If not' date=' be forewarned that the drivers there are crazy. I would personally not drive there, I would leave the driving up to others.[/color']

PE

Jusstice,

Can you tell me where you rented the car?

We rented from Isis Rentadora. Saw them mentioned in the cozumel boards here and on trip advisor. Nice people. The cars are a bit older (manual) but it wasn't too bad. The $40 included the insurance. I opted for them based on reviews and price over the big rental agencies (more than double the price). If paying over $85 for a car rental, I would think you'd be better off trying to hire a private car or driver for the day.

My family of 4 went there this past November and I agree with the posters who said the drivers act loco,lol. We saw several places we could have rented but hubby didn't want to drive in the chaos, especially with this being our first visit there. Anyway, we saw a horse and buggy driver on the main rode and walked over to him. The driver told us we could ride to see the town and he charged us like 40 bucks for an hour tour. It was very leisurely and an experience I am so glad we had. He showed us where the main sites were and even let us out to look and take pics of things like - the huge catholic church, their town park, by the shoreline, etc.. All the locals were smiling at us and would yell out that we were riding in a Mexican cadillac - my kids thought that was a riot!

We were in Cozumel last week on the EPIC. Negotiated with a taxi driver for a 5-hr tour for $25pp [4 persons]. Price is $40/pp for 2 persons.

Normally you'll get a two hour tour for this price. But, we wanted a leisurely pace, stopping whenever/whereever/for however long we wanted.

The driver took us to the North side where the Cozumel country club [golf courses], then drove around the island to the South side. Went to Cedral [sp??] which was the oldest settlement in the island.

Our driver loves his island and he gave us a very good tour. I think he drives taxi#230; his name is Luis Pino.

I think you'll love Cozumel, but leave the driving to the locals.

We rented a jeep in 2005 and it was the highlight of the trip. Stopped at a few beaches to snorkel and swim. Ate at Coconuts and made it back in plenty of enough time to shop. Loved every minute of it. I think we paid around 80 bucks insurance included.

Just my experience:

Been to Cozumel 3 times. Rented jeeps twice for the day.

First time was just me and the girls (ages 40ish) 3 Girls in the jeep all day had a great time, no mishaps, stopped where ever we wanted and had no problems, Yes the other drivers are crazy, but they are crazy here in TN also sometimes.

Second time our husbands went also, so rented 2 jeeps guys in one girls in the other, GREAT time, we did feel better having the guys around. But never felt unsafe. This time though the guys got us lost (go figure)in town. As long as we were on the coast everything was fine but in the town it was a little confusing, and unless you turn around and backtrack you must go through town to get to the ship.

We shopped at several road side huts, hung out at a couple bars, And stopped for lots of pictures. One of the best days I have ever had.

Now my opinion:

By the insurance just in case!!

Get a map from the rental place.

Leave the gas tank on empty when you bring it back and pay the rental place for the gas, one less problem to arise.

If your the least bit worried, hire a taxi, your on vacation, Don't worry Be happy!!

Cozumel is a small island and love their tourists!

Be sure and stop at the small beach bars also, great beaches!!

Archived