another filter question

ruespal

I need input on what kind of filter would be best. I have an18-200mm on a D80 and we're going to Alaska in May. I'm thinking a circular polarizing filter, but then I get caught up in the multi/single/no coating thing and I'm lost. I also don't have a ton of money. I saw a B&W non coated for about $90. Would this be a good choice? And would I need to take it off on overcast days? It got much higher ratings than the coated filter. Also thanks Pierce for the link on an earlier thread explaining filters- it certainly opened my eyes to a whole world of things.

Thanks in advance for any input...

I have B&W, Hoya and Tiffen and they all do pretty well. I'd say the B&W would be a good choice though Tiffen may be less expensive if you want to save some money. Coated anything is generally better but for something so rarely used you have to consider if the extra cost is worth it to you.

Using a circular polarizer (CP) on overcast days is a judgement call but I generally do not use it. It will block some light in all positions but as you rotate it you will see the image get darker. In some positions you can loose up to two stops of light. So, the CP may help cut through haze or cut a reflection or glare but you have to balance the benefits against the light it blocks, slowing your lens. I avoid the CP when taking action shots or of anything that is moving quickly. Most often I'm using it on bright days where the loss of light is not a big issue.

In addition to silently echoing what pilotdane said, I'll add that on a day that's not only overcast but rainy too, a polarizer isn't useless. After the rain stops I sometimes put the polarizer back on to remove the reflection from the water glazing the leaves and flowers. This doesn't do magic like it does on blue sky, but it will make the foliage colors pop and as long as you have a tripod or a steady hand, the loss of light shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Dave

Archived