Family fun ideas for Sitka?

AnotherVirginCruiser

Anyone have a good idea or suggestion for some Family fun in Sitka? We are tendered for about 8 hours... have a little time. I am thinking low-budget as we are toward the end of our trip???:confused:

Sitka is scenic and a great town to walk. With the National Park and the Russian Heritage, there is something to interest everyone. You might want to include the Raptor Center as well. You don't need an organized tour - just get a good map and go enjoy a unique Alaska port!

Hello AnotherVirginCruiser! Sitka is beautiful but pray for clear weather! Then hopefully you'll see Mt. Edgecumbe. I lived in Sitka for 2 years and will hopefully return next fall. Anyway, definatley go to the Sitka National Historic Park (ie, where the totem poles are) and stomp around. There are many paths wandering through there. Depending on when you'll be there, you might see the Pink Salmon running.

On your way to the park, as you walk past Sheldon Jackson College, across from the library is a little school aquarium. I don't know what kind of hours they keep in the summer, but when I lived there one could just walk in and look around. There is a touch tank and lots of neat local fish. I'm in my 30's and I love it, but I'm a nature freak :) Either way, I think it's good for any age (if it's open).

You probably won't be going to the Raptor Center if you are trying to save money. Great place, but when I worked there, it cost $10 a person to get in. A year later and I think it was $12! Don't know how much it is this year.

Sitka's just a great town to walk around in. Many people speak highly of the Russian Church, but in all honesty I've never been in there!

Have fun!

On your way to the park, as you walk past Sheldon Jackson College, across from the library is a little school aquarium. I don't know what kind of hours they keep in the summer, but when I lived there one could just walk in and look around. There is a touch tank and lots of neat local fish. I'm in my 30's and I love it, but I'm a nature freak :) Either way, I think it's good for any age (if it's open).

Now that's a GREAT idea- Thanks SO much! You are so helpful!:D

Archived