My Theory on finding best Cruise Bargains...Your Opinion Welcomed

JimInBuffalo

I am working on a theory about the best times to book a cruise in order to take advantage of outside effects on the industy. I am looking at other events happening during key weeks when many people would prefer to be home or traveling to those events.

Here is my theory: Major entertainment events happening in February and March are important enough to many people as to influence the dates that they are willing to travel.

Major Events I studied:

<> Super Bowl - held on Feb. 6, 2011

<> Grammy award presentation - held on Feb. 13, 2011

<> Daytona 500 race - held on Feb. 20, 2011

<> Oscar presentations - held on Feb. 27, 2011

<> Mardi Gras - March 8, 2011 (late this year) will be Feb. 5, 2012

Although the dates for most events in 2012 haven't been determined yet (except for Mardi Gras), most will be within the same week as this year.

I understand that Destinations and Debarkation City location will influence rates but it seems like the rates are usually lower around the weeks when there are some major events like those mentioned above are occuring.

Also, in general the month February would be considered an off-season month.

Given all of that, it seems from what I have seen personally that there are some really good bargains to be had when scheduling a cruise around these major events.

Does anyone else on CC have any other suggestions for getting a bargain cruise other than waiting for a sell-off, last minute deal? I usually like to book 4-6 months ahead of time.

Your comments and recommendations are appreciated.

-Jim

After a week of temperatures below freezing (15-30 degrees F) it is finally up to 40 degrees today in Buffalo.

OP.. we are having some crazy temps here in Texas. 40 degrees one day and will be 90 in two days.. CRAZY.. lol.

We have often sailed in "off season" times because we like the lower crowd levels you usually find. Usually you will end up giving up some things.. ie. excursions you might really want to take will not be available, locations or restaurants you might want to go to will be closed, etc. But we have always enjoyed our off season trips.

To me one of the biggest bargins you can find is a repo (repositioning) cruise. Often they are longer cruises, but if you compare the cost of the cruise per day they are usually a lot less. Big benefits to us for repos when we can take them. You usually get to see different ports of call than the standard 7 day cruise, or whatever it happens to be, you start at a embarkation port but end up at a different one, so you get to see more, crews are generally excited because a lot of the time a repo cruise is a new beginning for them.

One thing I did not see you list that usually begins in March that we avoid no matter if it is a bargin or not...SPRING BREAK.. lol.

I am working on a theory about the best times to book a cruise in order to take advantage of outside effects on the industy. I am looking at other events happening during key weeks when many people would prefer to be home or traveling to those events.

Here is my theory: Major entertainment events happening in February and March are important enough to many people as to influence the dates that they are willing to travel.

Major Events I studied:

Although the dates for most events in 2012 haven't been determined yet (except for Mardi Gras), most will be within the same week as this year.

I understand that Destinations and Debarkation City location will influence rates but it seems like the rates are usually lower around the weeks when there are some major events like those mentioned above are occuring.

Given all of that, it seems from what I have seen personally that there are some really good bargains to be had when scheduling a cruise around these major events.

Does anyone else on CC have any other suggestions for getting a bargain cruise other than waiting for a sell-off, last minute deal? I usually like to book 4-6 months ahead of time.

-Jim

After a week of temperatures below freezing (15-30 degrees F) it is finally up to 40 degrees today in Buffalo.

This is simple... rates are driven by demand. Demand peaks and valley are pretty set year after year. Travel peaks are determined by a number of factors. In the macro sense, the above events probably do not have enough effect on demand to change pricing. Holidays such as Valentines day, Christmas, New Years do affect demand.

OP.. we are having some crazy temps here in Texas. 40 degrees one day and will be 90 in two days.. CRAZY.. lol.

We have often sailed in "off season" times because we like the lower crowd levels you usually find. Usually you will end up giving up some things.. ie. excursions you might really want to take will not be available, locations or restaurants you might want to go to will be closed, etc. But we have always enjoyed our off season trips.

To me one of the biggest bargins you can find is a repo (repositioning) cruise. Often they are longer cruises, but if you compare the cost of the cruise per day they are usually a lot less. Big benefits to us for repos when we can take them. You usually get to see different ports of call than the standard 7 day cruise, or whatever it happens to be, you start at a embarkation port but end up at a different one, so you get to see more, crews are generally excited because a lot of the time a repo cruise is a new beginning for them.

One thing I did not see you list that usually begins in March that we avoid no matter if it is a bargin or not...SPRING BREAK.. lol.

Gotta agree!:D Off season and repo's is the way to go!;):cool:

here's my theory

1. find the cruise ship and destination you want to sail...and follow it very closely here on CC regarding reviews..tidbits of info and stuff like that.

2. Book one week after they open the bookings..to give them time to throw in some freebies.

3. Book with a large online TA that you call on the phone and speak to..tell them exactly which cabin you want and when you want to go.

4. before you finalize the booking make sure to go over every detail with them and remind them that you will be following the prices like a hawk..and comparing their prices with their competition

5. Tell them you are jotting down everything and that you expect to get all price reductions...group prices...OBC's...free wine...anything and everuthing that their company is or will be offerring regarding this cruise.

6. Be very cordial to the TA and if you are not happy with any of their answers just thank them for their time and call back and speak to someone else..or try a different online TA

7. Sit back and start your port research etc...and check in on CC hourly:D

Now, before anyone goes ballistic.....I am usually looking to book Med cruises for a family of 6 so cabins, dates, itin and prices really matter to us......and we are savvy enough to realize that there is alot of negotiating required....

So, I booked a 12 day Med cruise last week....followed my above advice and have already had the TA add OBC's to the cabins....of course that is just the beginning....I have 15 months to go....

I don't know how much typical vacation periods factor into cost, but it seems to certainly effect spring break pricing in March and/or April. However, here in my area, schools are generally closed the week of President's Day. If not the whole week, usually at least more than 1 day. So that week is a desirable week, possibly making the prices jump.

Just a thought for your February hypothesis :)

dont know about all of that but we have found some of the lowest prices the first two weeks in December!

I agree. Through out the travel industry this is the bargin time. People are finishing up with family after Thanksgiving and gearing up for Christmas. If you want a deal on any cruise or trip i.e. Disney this is the time to go.

Thans for all of the positive feedback. I agree that the repositioning cruises are a great way to go. The only problem that we have is that since the repos usually involve two one-way fares, that part of the equation usually makes the total cost of the vacation more expensive.

In part, this is due to the fact that airfares from Buffalo (considered a smaller market) are typically higher than other bigger cities and that you almost always pay more for a one-way flight.

We are retired so we can pretty much go whenever we want. I will take your suggestions and see what I can find for our next cruise in the Fall.

Thanks,

-Jim

Snowing and 33 degrees F today. I guess this is our April Fool's snow.

I book early .Prices are usually reasonable Talk to CRUISE COMPANY directly .Check other TA websitesIf price goes down call cruise line

If you can get a better deal from TA do so at the very end just before final payment .I always advise my PCC to make sure its OK to switch ..sometimes I do not have to Cruise company matches all bargains

On my last cruise on Princess I got the best deal and best cabin from PVP my friends paid more with their TA ...my PVP gave me great deals although mine was more at first I knew it was going to go down but they did not want to wait ..I did and did GREAT

Make sure you do not pay a FEE for changes some TAS charge one for cancelling or changing ...also some TAS do not like to keep changing the booking because they lose commission that is why I stick to PVP or PCC They are Not on commission and change accordingly

Sometimes booking a guarantee REALLY works out ..If you are lucky many upgrades

Good Luck

Happy Hunting

michele

Major Events I studied:

-Jim

Man you have had the miserable winter huh? We have also, but we are warmer than you, thank God.

As for your theory, I don't think many people base their decision on when to cruise based on any of the events you mention other than possibly Super Bowl and even then, very few.

We have been cruising for many years and have found the best time to cruise is off season, which usually falls just before or just after major holidays and times of the year the kids are out of school. Example: summer rates are almost always much higher than say, late Sept to mid Nov except for Columbus day week, when more and more schools are offering a fall break. The week of Thanksgiving is very high, while the weeks betewen Thanksgiving and mid Dec are about at cheap as prices get, followed by mid Jan to mid Feb. Starting the first of March rates shoot back up because of spring break, followed by Easter. From late April until about May 20th rates dip again but are followed by rise when schools start to close for the summer.

Nita

Terry, our weather is much like yours only about 10 to 20 degrees cooler. We are barely out of the high 30s this week, but will be warming up to the mid 60s tomorrow, then maybe as high as 80 on Sunday before it dips back into the 50s.

Yes, repos are great deals as a rule.

Nita

Major Events I studied:

-Jim

FYI: Mardi Gras Day in 2012 is 2/21/2012.

JimmyJames

Archived