Using Passenger Shipping Association to resolve a dispute

jimmyisgod

I have recently returned from a Regent cruise (Auckland to Sydney) and am in dispute with Regent over a "problem" that lasted throughout the cruise and which was never "fixed". It would be unfair at this moment in time to go into detail. When we returned to the UK I wrote to the customer services manager in the UK and got a very poor response (he basically ignored my compaint). So I wrote again and have been offered compensation in the form of a cruise credit which I feel is totally inadequate. I have consulted my solicitor and am prepared to go to court to get a settlement.

Regent have suggested that we use the Passenger Shipping Association "dispute settlement service" which they claim is "independent and impartial". However the decision is non-binding on either party.

My concern is that the PSA is funded by the cruise and ferry companies, so how independent are they?

Does anyone have any experience of using this service? I'm happy to use it if its "fair" and I'll take my chance on the result. I'm equally happy to go to court and fight my corner - I am so angry with how we have been treated by Regent that I don't care how long it takes or how many letters and forms I need to fill in to get a fair hearing.

Any help and/or advice gladly welcomed!

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping someone from the UK might reply.

TedC, why would I need a miracle?

The dispute resolution service in the USA is the American Arbitration Association in Miami ( I have read this in clause 27 of Regents Terms & Conditions) - I wonder if any of our Amercan colleagues have used this route to settle a dispute. I am considering using this organisation instead of the UK PSA.

In general terms, the dispute is over excessive noise in the cabin, which was not resolved during the whole of the 2 week cruise, despite FOUR visits by their engineers. So no sleep throught the whole cruise. I made Regent fully aware on board that I was going to complain when I returned to the UK - we have exchanged letters and we have been offered a cruise credit which in my opinion no way compensates for ruining a special 20 year anniversay cruise which cost $20k (cruise fare only).

I was hoping someone from the UK might reply..........The dispute resolution service in the USA is the American Arbitration Association in Miami ( I have read this in clause 27 of Regents Terms & Conditions) - I wonder if any of our Amercan colleagues have used this route to settle a dispute. I am considering using this organisation instead of the UK PSA.

In general terms, the dispute is over excessive noise in the cabin, which was not resolved during the whole of the 2 week cruise, despite FOUR visits by their engineers. So no sleep throught the whole cruise. I made Regent fully aware on board that I was going to complain when I returned to the UK - we have exchanged letters and we have been offered a cruise credit which in my opinion no way compensates for ruining a special 20 year anniversay cruise which cost $20k (cruise fare only).

I am not from the UK, however I have some experience in these matters.

First, why not use the UK PSA mediation first. It is non-binding and I don't see how it would prejudice your case if you latter wanted to go the AAA route in the US. Frankly I am surprised that Regent would even tell you abut the PSA option, unless they have to as a condition of membership. You could end up with a favorable result. IMO Most of these types of industry run ADR are more consumer oriented than you might think. And even though the PSA is non binding and the finding can not be used in a latter proceeding, you would still gain valuable informations as to their reasoning and what a "trier of fact" thinks of it.

Second. I would appreciate if you would elaborate on what noise you had in your cabin and specifically what the cabin number was. If there is a problem cabin or area of a ship I (and others here) would like to know about it so we can avoid that cabin/area when booking. You wouldn't be the first to post such info. Besides the the "Court" of opinion can be pretty loud here if others think you were unfairly treated. You might find others here who have had the same issue.

j

We used them in a dispute we had with P&O, they were absolutely useless, totally biased in favour of the cruise company, wish we hadnt bothered. We paid just over £7,000, had endless problems from misleading sales reguarding size of balcony, to noise that ruined 4 nights sleep(they admitted there was a problem which they are now addressing by strengthening the bulkheads), to torn bedlinen/dirty carpet in suite/stained sofa etc. The PSA awarded us £700. Yippee! Dont waste your time. I know P&O are not Regent but thought this might help.

Ted, thanks for your reply.

It seems the PSA recommended a compensation of 10% of your cruise cost. This is exactly the figure that Regent have offered me - so perhaps thats what the "norm" is.

I can get 10% off the price off the Regent website just by negotiating with my travel agent. So in effect Regent are offering nothing extra.

I have now also posted on the general "ask a cruise question" forum to see if anyone else has any experience.

I seems that I'm going to have to go through the courts to see if I can get compensation.

Thanks, Mike

Ted, thanks for your reply.

It seems the PSA recommended a compensation of 10% of your cruise cost. This is exactly the figure that Regent have offered me - so perhaps thats what the "norm" is.

I can get 10% off the price off the Regent website just by negotiating with my travel agent. So in effect Regent are offering nothing extra.

I have now also posted on the general "ask a cruise question" forum to see if anyone else has any experience.

I seems that I'm going to have to go through the courts to see if I can get compensation.

Thanks, Mike

Archived