Norfolk Hotels Maasdam March 31st

Su&Andy

Congratulations on thirty years---that's quite an accomplishment! :)

Welcome to the board.

And congratulations on booking your first cruise. You will soon learn why those of us who frequent Cruise Critic need that little "fix" it provides between cruises---our real passion. :D

I thought that I had seen other posts mentioning the Holiday Inn Select on North Military Rd. This Best Western has shuttles to the cruise dock and free parking. But you would know the area better.

Olivia is right, but if it's only for a night, who cares? The shuttle to the port and the free parking alone are worth it. Yes, there are better options, but for one night, a decent, clean room, with a good bed and shower do the trick for me. The cruise is THE thing. Hope you have a fantastic time !!

Having stayed at the Radisson last year and the Marriott this year, I'll take the Marriott.

While some hotels are cheper and include parking, is it worth getting off the ship and finding your car vandalized or stolen? The city lot at $10 a day is well protected and a bargain.

The added benefit of the Marriott is there are plenty of restaurants and sights nearby.

Su&Andy: The Military Hwy. location is what is to be avoided, not necessarily the Best Western. I really have no idea what the cost of the downtown hotels are for a cruise stay but I would definitely consider a closer and safer location. WE are willingly paying $129 for a nice hotel in FLL for an overnight. If budget is top consideration, then I would do a little more searching and maybe even stay a little farther away. That part of Norfolk is very near the Virginia Beach border so you might as well stay a little farther east in V.B.; much more desirable neighborhoods. Just my opinion after living here 25 years. Good luck and have a great time. Get some good seafood while you are here.

We've just come back from the 2/27 sailing of the Maasdam, and we stayed the night before sailing at the Radisson on Monticello Ave. We thought their package was a good deal. We had a very nice room in the 'tower', an evening cocktail hour w/hot snack foods, a fairly extensive hot buffet breakfast, and transportation to and from the pier. It also included parking for the 11 days of the cruise. The price, including all taxes, was $162. The hotel is directly across the street from the Scope Arena, but we didn't feel hesitant about leaving our car, and had no problems w/it when we returned.

The first night we stayed at the Radisson, a waitress in the pub said it was a good thing we weren't there a week before. There had been a shooting across the street at the bus station and police wouldn't let anyone leave the hotel.

Then a cab driver told us they wouldn't pick up any fares after dark in that area. Too dangerous, he said.

Since I had a sportscar (and had had a car stolen years ago), there was no way I would leave it there.

As the gang at the front desk reminded me, ``They are not responsible for theft, etc.''

Our TA got us in the Mariott for $120, including breakfast (buffet or regular). There were two nice restaurants, a great gym and a lovely indoor pool.

Since we splurged for a Verandah Suite B, perhaps we'll just drive down from Maryland and leave our well travelled mini-van in the secured parking lot. We are looking forward to our cruise, the hotel room the night before is inconsequential.

Sue& Andy

Other options are available. We are sailing 4/21 and several of us are staying the night before at the Best Western Holiday Sands on Oceanview.

I copied this from another poster for you.

1 room with an oceanview, mini kitchenette, King bed, free AM breakfast, parking for the 10-days, shuttle around 11:00am to the pier, and pickup when we disembark on May 1: $99 plus tax. For a one-night stay, they want your charge card and will bill immediately. If you have to cancel, you have up to 3-days (72 hours) to get a full refund...

to call, 757-583-2621.

She told me that they monitor the Maasdam for arrival, recognizing that it has been late on some occasions, and will take us there when the boarding begins, we are less than 10 minutes away. The parking is in front of the hotel, in plain view, so there is security in the hotel watching the cars, that and the free shuttle...it made up my mind.... Incidentially, they are relative easy to get to from 64, the first exit after the 64-tunnel/bridge, follow the sign for Oceanview Ave....if memory serves me correct, at the end of the exit, you turn left and go under 64, then turn right onto Oceanview and go 1/2 mile or so...it will be on the left side, next to the ocean.

There are less expensive rooms available. One of the posters has stayed there at least twice and recommends it.

Check out our roll call Masdam 4/21.

We are driving from MD also. Staying the night before is more relaxing for us.

Enjoy your cruise and post back and let us know how it was. :D

Sue: For what it's worth, you can get the Doubletree Norfolk Airport via Priceline for around $40. per night for a King room. They run an airport shuttle. Don't know about parking/ pier transport, but it might be worth a look-see. Very nice hotel.

Hi! I have booked a room at the Holiday Inn Select on Military Road for 3/19/05-sailing on the Maasdam 3/20/05. I am growing concerned about the security of leaving my car in their lot after reading some of these postings. We got a low rate as Priority Club Members (around $70.00 for a King). However, I don't want to be worried about finding my car gone when I return. Is anyone familiar with the area around the Holiday Inn Select? Is this also a questionable area?

Archived