Help, hotel for 5 in NY or NJ for June Manhattan departure

I have tried searching several times and I'm not finding what I'm looking for. I have pretty much decided we need a suite since there is 5 of us (sons are 22, 18, and 14) but the Embassy Suites (1st choice) in Secaucus is unavailable. We will be arriving in the area on Friday, Jun 10 for a Saturday cruise. We have been to NYC before so not a big must-do but not opposed to traveling into the city for sights on Friday evening. We are not looking for a park & cruise and have resigned ourselves to paying a small fortune to park at the Manhattan pier for the week of our cruise.

What hotel on the drive from Maryland to NY would be a good match for our family of five and enable us to be within 45-60 min of the pier? Hopefully we will stay under $150, breakfast would be a plus but not a necessity. I'm unfamiliar with NY/NJ area so what cities should I be considering? How far is Parsippany?

All suggestions welcome!

You're coming from MD so Parisippany will not be convenient. What's your budget? Rooms for 5 are difficult. Typically rates and availability are not online and you have to call the hotel directly. How important is it that you go into NYC the night before? Would you drive into the city or take public transportation?

There is another post with 5 folks looking for a room. They found the Courtyard in Jersey City for $209 + tax + parking. I found the Newark Penn Station Hilton has a good rate for their dates and your dates - about $130. If you call the hotel directly, perhaps they can accommodate 5 people. This would put you across the street from the NY train - parking would be extra. Another option in that area would be the Courtyard Elizabeth, which is showing a rate of $130 - no parking charge - but not good NY transportation either. This hotel is at exit 13A on the turnpike - you could drive up the turnpike to exit 15X, park, and catch the train into NY for $4/pp.

I have tried searching several times and I'm not finding what I'm looking for. I have pretty much decided we need a suite since there is 5 of us (sons are 22, 18, and 14) but the Embassy Suites (1st choice) in Secaucus is unavailable. We will be arriving in the area on Friday, Jun 10 for a Saturday cruise. We have been to NYC before so not a big must-do but not opposed to traveling into the city for sights on Friday evening. We are not looking for a park & cruise and have resigned ourselves to paying a small fortune to park at the Manhattan pier for the week of our cruise.

What hotel on the drive from Maryland to NY would be a good match for our family of five and enable us to be within 45-60 min of the pier? Hopefully we will stay under $150, breakfast would be a plus but not a necessity. I'm unfamiliar with NY/NJ area so what cities should I be considering? How far is Parsippany?

All suggestions welcome!

Homewood Suites in Edgewater NJ and you will be 15 minutes from the pier, you will be staying on the Hudson with NY skyline, great shopping,free breakfast. Great Hotel. They used to allow parking but they don't anymore but they may have an alternative for you to park your car and take a cab (van) service for about $60.00. All of my family and friends who visit us or cruise stay there..we live about 10 minutes away it is a great place to check out.

• 2 weeks later...
Homewood Suites in Edgewater NJ and you will be 15 minutes from the pier, you will be staying on the Hudson with NY skyline, great shopping,free breakfast. Great Hotel. They used to allow parking but they don't anymore but they may have an alternative for you to park your car and take a cab (van) service for about $60.00. All of my family and friends who visit us or cruise stay there..we live about 10 minutes away it is a great place to check out.

Thanks for the information. I just booked there based on your recommendation. We will drive to the pier in the morning. I think this will work out great. Thanks!

I used to live in Edison & had family in Maryland who had family in Mass. They used to stop at our house all the time as a mid point. Anything north of Edison until you reach Manhatten (about a 45 minute trip with "regular" non rush hour traffic) will be on the right path & there are plenty of hotels on that route. Even if you had to get 2 rooms at some of the 2 star chains -- Comfort Inn, Quality Inn etc. you should be fine & keep costs low plus get that all important extra bathroom. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We are looking at this hotel to use Hilton points. But we are flying into LGA. Do you know if there are any shuttle services? or will we need a taxi?

You should arrange a car service so that the price is predetermined. From NY try Dial 7 - get a quote that specifies basic rate + tolls + tip.

Thank you. Would they also be a good choice from hotel to port the next morning?

Archived