Taking fresh flowers - embarkation in Miami

basor

Does Oceania allow guests to bring fresh flowers on board at embarkation? If so, any suggestions where we can pick up really nice fresh flowers near the port - fresh flower market, etc.?

Does Oceania allow guests to bring fresh flowers on board at embarkation? If so, any suggestions where we can pick up really nice fresh flowers near the port - fresh flower market, etc.?

I'm sure that there is no restriction on bringing flowers onto the ship while you are in the United States, but I cannot say that I would recommend it.

The logistic problems would be endless (How to carry them, how to get them through security, how to get them through the metal detector, how long can they remain out of water), and unless you timed it JUST RIGHT you'd probably end up with damaged, half dead flowers, anyway.

Why not just send yourself some flowers in the cabin as a Bon Voyage Gift and let Oceania worry about carting them onboard and finding the right sized vase?

You can arrange for that through your Travel Agent, or on the Oceania Web Site in the "already booked" section.

Have a great cruise!

Our friends in Florida always pick their best flowers from their garden, especially the long lasting ones such as orchids, and take them on board. Never had a problem although they cannot take them off the ship.

I presume you could also buy things near the port and take then on board.

You would also need some sort of throw away vase to use.

Our friends in Florida always pick their best flowers from their garden, especially the long lasting ones such as orchids, and take them on board. Never had a problem although they cannot take them off the ship.

I presume you could also buy things near the port and take then on board.

You would also need some sort of throw away vase to use.

Not throw away but rather collapsible plastic available at Amazon starting at $6.50. We have had one for years, looks like glass and is always admired.

If your in an OS or VS you will find a beautiful flower arrangement in

your suite.:)

thanks for all of the info ......we have purchased huge bouquets ($15.00) at Pike Street Market in Seattle and taken them on board so glad to hear we can do this on Oceania in Miami.

We arrive the day prior so will plan on purchasing the flowers the AM of the cruise and arriving at the POM around 12:30 so we can check in and hopefully be in our stateroom fairly quickly.

We are in a PH so just a bud vase with an orchid :) Think I will like a nice colorful flower bouquet to enjoy for the 16 days....just have to freshen up with new flowers 1/2 way into the cruise.

I bring on flowers on ships all over world, no problem. I get mine at the Publix on South Beach, the one shaped like a boat. They come in 2AM daily, last 2 weeks min. Good outside water for 2 hours. Your room steward can provide vases.No flower markets here due to sun/heat. Ship flowers can be iffy.

I always carry a flat vase which you can mold on all cruises and get fresh flowers along the way. On our Marina cruise, Caribbean Pearls, I brought on fresh flowers from a Publix supermarket near PBI airport. I usually look for orchids or other long lasting flowers. Many of the ports have beautiful flowers available in the Markets like on Las Ramblas in Barcelona, Tallin, Amsterdam, Athens, Funchal, Dover, Papeete. Local staff were always good at giving me hints of where to find fresh flowers close to the ship. If you wrap some wet paper towels around the base of the flowers they do just fine out of water an hour or so if you can't find an arrangement already in a vase and many of the vendors wrap them in plastic flower bags for transport. Our cabin attendant brought a crystal vase when I left flowers in the sink to run off to the lifeboat drill when I hadn't yet had time to arrange them. I also carry a fold up bag which comes in handy for any purchases onshore.

We were on the QE2 once, when a gentleman in the Queen Elizabeth Suite, tried to bring seed pods back into the UK that he had "rescued" from various African botanical gardens.

Customs held us up for 12 hours, and the cruise after ours lost an entire day.

I understand that this thread is about taking flowers onto the ship and not off it, but I'm concerned that a really special bloom might tempt the hard core horticulturists' among us...

Do you all promise to behave? Pinky swear???

pinky-swear-0808-lg-28362528.jpg

< SNIP.>quote]

What a neat idea...;)I have some orchids in my garden & will try to remember to take a couple for our up-coming cruise next week..Thanks..

Not throw away but rather collapsible plastic available at Amazon starting at $6.50. We have had one for years, looks like glass and is always admired.

< SNIP >.:)

Those Vases are neat! I Purchased a small one & larger one several years ago for myself & several Friends..

Will take them with us on our Regatta cruise next week..

Cheers...:)Betty

Thanks for the great vase idea - found them on amazon.com and ordered 2 medium ones...they should arrive in plenty of time since we leave 3 weeks from today (Yahoo - can't wait!!).

I will add them to my travel packet that contains all of the "special" items we take on a vacation. This way I do not need to go and round them up for each trip.

Thanks for the great vase idea - found them on amazon.com and ordered 2 medium ones...they should arrive in plenty of time since we leave 3 weeks from today (Yahoo - can't wait!!).

I will add them to my travel packet that contains all of the "special" items we take on a vacation. This way I do not need to go and round them up for each trip.

So glad you found them. I keep mine in my carry-on so I don't forget it at home.:)

We finally got one of those big plastic lidded bins and put all of our travel stuff in it after cleaning them up from the last trip.

Then when we are ready to travel we can just pull it from the garage and start packing. If we see something during the year that we will want when we travel we get it and put it in the bin so we don't forget it.

We have all our plastic bottles, travel size items, packing cubes, etc in it and have never forgotten something.

Archived