Las Vegas to San Pedro how long?

Shazza1111

Hi, We are Planning on driving from Vegas to San Pedro on the Saturday Morning of our cruise so that we can be there by 12.30pm, what do you suggest is the best route and what time should we leave Vegas by:confused::confused::confused:

Born and raised in the L.A. basin. I would recommend the I-10 FWY over the 60 fwy When in LA (I-15 to I-10 to I-605) Just my 2 cents:D

Janet is right though, give yourselves six hour minimum. Freeway speeds (60-70mph) from Vegas to the port maybe 5 and a half, but that pushing it. Traffic isn't bad on a Sat, but it does tend to get worse as the day goes. ALERT !! what ever map you use, DO NOT use the 91 from I-15. Use I-210, I-10 or State Fwy 60 to the I-605. State FWY 91 from I-15 is ALWAYS backed up:eek::eek::eek: Hope I didn't confuse you:D

15 south to the west 210 to the south 605 to the west 91 to the south 110.

stay away from the 10...they are doing construction around the 605 and can get backed up any time of the day or week

Since you are Australian, I assume you are renting a car for this drive. Where do you have to drop the car off? This could add from 1-2 hours to your plans. If you are planning on parking a rental car at the pier, keep in mind that parking is $15/day. Curious about why you are driving rather than flying Southwest? Personally, I hate that drive!

Shazza-call me a pessimist, but having driven from Las Vegas down to Southern Cal many times, I think you might want to reconsider your plan to drive down on the day of embarkation.

I-15 is a very highly traveled interstate highway between Los Angeles and Las Vegas. While major accidents are infrequent, when they do happen, traffic can be backed up for miles, and can cause delays up to several hours. You are looking at a 4.5 to 5.5 hour drive at a minimum, in my opinion. And, it is not just I-15 you need to worry about.

We cruise out of San Diego whenever possible, and just to be safe, we always drive down the day before to avoid the very early wake-up time (we are sleep-heads), the potential of heavy/slow traffic on I-15 and the accompanying stress/worry.

Whatever you choose to do, I hope that you will have a pleasant stay in Las Vegas, an uneventful drive down to San Pedro, and a wonderful cruise! :)

Shazza-call me a pessimist, but having driven from Las Vegas down to Southern Cal many times, I think you might want to reconsider your plan to drive down on the day of embarkation.

I-15 is a very highly traveled interstate highway between Los Angeles and Las Vegas. While major accidents are infrequent, when they do happen, traffic can be backed up for miles, and can cause delays up to several hours. You are looking at a 4.5 to 5.5 hour drive at a minimum, in my opinion. And, it is not just I-15 you need to worry about.

We cruise out of San Diego whenever possible, and just to be safe, we always drive down the day before to avoid the very early wake-up time (we are sleep-heads), the potential of heavy/slow traffic on I-15 and the accompanying stress/worry.

Whatever you choose to do, I hope that you will have a pleasant stay in Las Vegas, an uneventful drive down to San Pedro, and a wonderful cruise! :)

I was thinking this myself. What if there's a major accident on the highway you're on? What if something happens to your car?

If you want to make this drive, why not do it the day before your cruise? Then you can relax after getting to the coast and not feel all spent when you board the ship.

Do not drive from Las Vegas to LA on the day of your cruise. I've driven I-15 to and from Vegas (I live in San Diego) many times. It can be a relatively fast 5 hours to hours of being parked! Yes, parked!

Many parts of I-15 are two lanes per direction and segregated by decent cliffs. One trip I heard on the radio about an accident on the 15 that was probably 3 hours ahead of where we were going to be. The freeway was completely closed. Imagine what happens on a major freeway if it is closed for hours. Traffic was backed up for ever. We hit a wall of parked cars about 60 miles before the accident. The freeway opened and we still sat for more than an hour, parked! Thats how long it took for traffic to clear to the point where I was. Our trip ended up taking 7 hours to get from San Diego to Las Vegas (normally 4).

The freeways in and through LA can only add to that travel time.

Do yourself a favor and DO NOT go on the day you are sailing.

Thanks for all of the great responses, unfortunatley(lack of foresight on my part) we have booked and paid for our accomodation and it is going to be very expensive to change I think we may just leave at 5am who knows this may end up being the highlight of the trip with the sunrise in the desert an all

We did this drive about 10 years ago and drove down the old route 66 I am sure it only took about 4 hours and that was what I based my original decision on, perhaps I should not have relied upon my memory:(:(:(

Thanks for all of the great responses, unfortunatley(lack of foresight on my part) we have booked and paid for our accomodation and it is going to be very expensive to change I think we may just leave at 5am who knows this may end up being the highlight of the trip with the sunrise in the desert an all

We did this drive about 10 years ago and drove down the old route 66 I am sure it only took about 4 hours and that was what I based my original decision on, perhaps I should not have relied upon my memory:(:(:(

Just a thought...what's more expensive, changing your accomodations, or missing the ship? I'm not trying to be snarky... I just say that to give you something to think about.

I have to agree - if you can change your accommodations and go earlier, do it. I live in Las Vegas and have plenty of horror stories, to the point where you couldn't get a bigger cheerleader for the proposed Maglev train from LV to SoCA, just so I can stop making this drive.

There's really only one way to go, and if something happens.... *shudder*. I've spent two hours just getting to Primm (town on the state border half an hour away) before, and the most memorable might be the time we left at about 2 p.m. and rolled in to Anaheim at 10:30 p.m., having spent a couple of hours crawling seven miles past Victorville alone.

Our hotels in Las Vegas are desperate for your business right now. A few have closed entire towers because they can't book the rooms. (The legendary Sahara is giving up and closing its doors next month. Not a great place to stay, true, but it has plenty of fans plus a historic presence, and it's on the monorail line, such as it is.) You're in a really strong negotiating position, so unless you're looking at a cancellation fee with a third party travel company, you might be able to get out of this and make a better arrangement.

Sunrise in the desert is nice, though, especially if it's still dark when you pass the "lights" of Jean and Primm. :)

5 to 6 hours for us as well. we drove in the day before though, not the

day of, and it was a Friday. we left LV around 11 a.m. and were entering

Ontario area around 3p.m. I believe and traffic was getting pretty heavy.

ultimately arrived san pedro around 4 or 5.

Another Las Vegan here that has done plenty of West Coast cruises and only once did we drive down to San Pedro and that was because we went on a little two day cruise to No Where. We left the house at about 4 in the morning, stopped in Barstow for a break and drove to the pier. We were lucky the traffic was not too bad and we arrived and parked at the cruise terminal about 10:45 am but for the ease of flying we have taken Southwest Airlines every other time we have gone out of San Pedro or San Diego. With the cost of gas and not having to be on the road that long we much prefer to fly. :)

Thanks to all of your kind and knowledgable input ,here is what we have done, I have rearranged our car rental to drop off at Las vegas airport at 6am, booked a flight with Delta airlines for 7am which arrives LAX 8.07am, which gives us 4 hours to get to San Pedro in a relaxed fashion.

I think we will head straight to the pier and then have coffee and do some people watching for a couple of hours:D

Thanks to all of your kind and knowledgable input ,here is what we have done, I have rearranged our car rental to drop off at Las vegas airport at 6am, booked a flight with Delta airlines for 7am which arrives LAX 8.07am, which gives us 4 hours to get to San Pedro in a relaxed fashion.

I think we will head straight to the pier and then have coffee and do some people watching for a couple of hours:D

We found a wonderful little place in San Pedro to have homemade streusel

and wonderful coffees and crepes called Mishi's Bakery and Cafe.

It's in San Pedro about a half mile from the cruise ship port. If you need

to kill time, maybe you could have the cab driver drop you off there

around 9 a.m. and you could kill 1.5 hours until going over to check in

at the port. Google Mishi's for the actual address. Very quaint!

Archived