yet another Stingray Question

sleeky

I am planning on taking my kids on a tour. If my youngest (8) steps on one by accident is there a risk of her getting injured by a barb like Steve Irwin??? Of course if this happened it would be an accident.

We were there in March. Our guide (used Capt. Marvin's) assured us that there have been NO incidents with anyone getting hurt by these stingrays. (These are a different type of stingray than the one Steve Irwin was with.) They show you the tail and barb, and tell you to please touch the other end....leave the tail alone and you'll be fine. I think it would be difficult to step on one...I don't remember them coming that close.

Peg

If you step on one it could be an issue....though with these guys its very rare since they are so use to being around humans. Obviously these are wild animals and they can be unpredictable but the chance is slim. And as a poster above said...they are not the same species. A Bull Ray is what killed Steve Irwin and the rays out in Cayman are Southern Stingrays.

Thanks everyone, my Brother told me he has done a stingray swim and it was in an enclosure. I would have cancelled my booking if it was as I really wanted to be "in the wild".

Thanks again, I'm looking forward to this

Kay

Thanks everyone, my Brother told me he has done a stingray swim and it was in an enclosure. I would have cancelled my booking if it was as I really wanted to be "in the wild".

Thanks again, I'm looking forward to this

Kay

Stingray City is more of a "stingray wade" than a swim.

While the rays at the Stingray Sandbar are very habituated to interacting with people, there are still rare instances when people are stung. Happens about 5 to 10 times per year.

There are actually two different stingray sites. Stingray City is the original site. The water is about 12 feet deep. The Stingray Sandbar is about 3 to 4 feet deep.

Almost all stingray snorkel trips go to the Stingray Sandbar. To add to the confusion, many stingray snorkel trips that are marketed as Stingray City trips actually go to the shallow sandbar site.

To add to Drew's comments, that "5-10 times per year" is out of literally dozens of trips per day every day, with anywhere from 10 to 100 people on each boat. It's a busy place, and the instances of injury are really, really rare...and I'm willing to bet the majority of the injuries were due to people ignoring the guide's instructions and trying to chase or pick up the stingrays, stuff like that.

If you are careful and use common sense, moving slowly and following the guide's instructions, you'll be fine. If you're really nervous, stay away from the squid (the food used to attract the stingrays) locations. The stingrays will pretty much ignore you if you have no snacks for them.

I've been there a lot, and the only injuries I've ever received are minor scrapes from their tails as they turned quickly (I now wear a t-shirt or 1-pc suit rather than a 2-pc). :D

We took the Moby Dick tour last week (they did a great job). It included some snorkeling by the reef then the stingray encounter. The stingrays WILL swim up next to you and rub against you to "check you out." They recommended that small kids not feed the stingrays, and everyone seemed to have a lot of fun. We also got to "hold" them in the water...but you have to relax before they will allow you to do so.

Archived