April weather cruising the Sounds?

We will be on the Volendam cruising the sounds of the South island during the first week of April. We were wondering about the weather at that time of the year and how cold would it be in the sounds. Like most cruisers we prefer to travel light and don't want to take unnecessary clothing.

We will be on the Volendam cruising the sounds of the South island during the first week of April. We were wondering about the weather at that time of the year and how cold would it be in the sounds. Like most cruisers we prefer to travel light and don't want to take unnecessary clothing.

Hi, NZ and in particular the South Island can have very variable weather at anytime of the year! At the moment in the Sounds the mornings and evenings are quite cold (starting to get into frosty mornings) so you would need a warm jacket but the days are warm and settled.

Be prepared for very cold weather in the morning with it warming up a bit during the day. We have cruised through the sounds in early February (middle of summer) when it was freezing and in early March when it was simply cold. Luck of the draw whether you get cold conditions or freezing weather. It is still worth standing outside even if you have to rug up to keep warm! :) It will also be cold in the other NZ ports in April, but not as cold as in the sounds.

Definately a scarf, beanie and gloves time...as they say you are a long way south and the weather is variable. We were there in December and it was cold then too! However all that I can see is that when the weather is misty rainy and cold it adds to the atmosphere of a truly magical place.

Definately a scarf, beanie and gloves time...as they say you are a long way south and the weather is variable. We were there in December and it was cold then too! However all that I can see is that when the weather is misty rainy and cold it adds to the atmosphere of a truly magical place.

I think it is always cold in the Sounds, but it is pure luck whether it is misty/rainy or sunny. You can easily get both all within a couple of hours.

Hi Jackie & Tony

You might want to clarify which Sounds in the South Island you are visiting!!

Generally in NZ when we refer to the Sounds we mean the Marlborough Sounds with the port of Picton where a warm layer for early morning and night will suffice in April. If, however you actually mean Fiordland with the Milford and Doubtful Sounds then that is a totally different kettle of fish and more substantial clothing will be required at any time of the year.

Hi Jackie & Tony

You might want to clarify which Sounds in the South Island you are visiting!!

Generally in NZ when we refer to the Sounds we mean the Marlborough Sounds with the port of Picton where a warm layer for early morning and night will suffice in April. If, however you actually mean Fiordland with the Milford and Doubtful Sounds then that is a totally different kettle of fish and more substantial clothing will be required at any time of the year.

Kiwiatchch - I am sure that a"cruising the Sounds" means Milford, Doubtful and Dusky Sounds in Fiordland. After all, that is where the cruiseships travel. I don't think any of the regular cruiseships cruise Marlborough Sounds to Picton.:):)

Kiwiatchch - I am sure that a"cruising the Sounds" means Milford, Doubtful and Dusky Sounds in Fiordland. After all, that is where the cruiseships travel. I don't think any of the regular cruiseships cruise Marlborough Sounds to Picton.:):)

Maybe, although the Pacific Pearl is due into the Marlborough Sounds tomorrow and the Volendam was here several weeks ago.:D

Archived