Flash fares and Insurance

BosoxI

My TA says if I book a flash fare, I can't purchase insurance, but I recall someone posting that he did purchase insurance with the flash fare. I like the Princess insurance as it allows cancellation for any reason, and DW and I try to fly standby whenever possible. So, what's the deal?

I know princess insurance has some limitations on Flash fares, but there are third party companies that also offer Cancel for any reason... Might be an option.

My TA says if I book a flash fare, I can't purchase insurance, but I recall someone posting that he did purchase insurance with the flash fare. I like the Princess insurance as it allows cancellation for any reason, and DW and I try to fly standby whenever possible. So, what's the deal?

My understanding is that if you purchase the cruise after final payment date has passed (which is usually a flash promotion), you can not get Princess coverage for insurance. You must go through a third party insurance.

I did this within the past few weeks, for a cruise this

month.

True, cannot purchase Princess Insurance but can purchase third party. We did this once and had to file a claim. We purchased Travelex insurance and they paid the claim without any problems.

Not exactly sure where you got your information, but this past Friday, March 31st, we booked a balcony room on a flash fare for the April 10th sailing on the Ruby. We were offered the insurance. She pointed out however, that if we cancelled for any reason we would only receive a 75 % credit for a future cruise. The only way we could get a 100 % refund is if we had a doctor sign a document stating that we were unable to attend do a medical emergency. It should be noted that we did not book this through a TA, but directly through Princess.

Flash fares have a medical only insurance offered through Princess for a flat rate of $59/person. So, it does not have the cancel for any reason clause. If that is important, then I suggest a third party company for coverage as the others have mentioned.

My understanding is that if you purchase the cruise after final payment date has passed (which is usually a flash promotion), you can not get Princess coverage for insurance. You must go through a third party insurance.

We have purchased cruises after final payment that were not flash fares and did buy the Princess insurance. We were worried about expediting a passport so we got the insurance just in case.

Flash fares have a medical only insurance offered through Princess for a flat rate of $59/person. So, it does not have the cancel for any reason clause. If that is important, then I suggest a third party company for coverage as the others have mentioned.

Is this new? I was not aware this existed - good to know. Pretty reasonable.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

We have purchased cruises after final payment that were not flash fares and did buy the Princess insurance. We were worried about expediting a passport so we got the insurance just in case.

Is this new? I was not aware this existed - good to know. Pretty reasonable.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

Coral, I think it might have something to do with the flash promo or not if you can purchase Princess insurance. They keep changing things so much, it's hard to keep it straight anymore. I seem to remember something not so long ago about flash fare after final payment cruises and Princess insurance not being available. I might have to find the actual info and post it here. ;)

Coral, I think it might have something to do with the flash promo or not if you can purchase Princess insurance. They keep changing things so much, it's hard to keep it straight anymore. I seem to remember something not so long ago about flash fare after final payment cruises and Princess insurance not being available. I might have to find the actual info and post it here. ;)

I think you are right. I know we had our choice of flash fares and non flash fares and due to the insurance and passport issue - we went with the non-flash fares so we could cancel for any reason.

What Erin mentioned I had never heard of (buying a Princess policy with a flash fare for less that doesn't include cancel for any reason). That is good to know.

Coral~ Yes, the medical only option for flash fares is relatively new. If you purchase a cruise on a regular promo, Princess Vacation Protection is still available even if it is past final payment date. As long as the PVP is chosen before the payment is made.

Coral~ Yes, the medical only option for flash fares is relatively new. If you purchase a cruise on a regular promo, Princess Vacation Protection is still available even if it is past final payment date. As long as the PVP is chosen before the payment is made.

Sorry - I called you Erin. I knew you were a Jennifer. Again, thanks for the up to date info!

Okay, I found the Medical Only plan info.

This was effective Oct 2010.

~Medical Only is avail for all fares including flash fares.

~ It is available after final payment as long as the Princess vacation protection was originally declined when making the final payment on a booking.

~Provides coverage for medical expenses only up to a max of $10,000 per person who purchased. Emergency Evac up to a max of $25,000 pp.

~No other coverage is offered

~Once the Medical Only plan is purchased, the plan details are provided in the cruise personalizer under the "download documents" link.

~Plan is refundable if pax has not departed on cruise.

~Berkley Care is the plan provider.

I booked a cruise last December just 3 weeks prior to leaving and got the Princess insurance, upgrade to Platinum protection because I'm Elite.

Okay, I found the Medical Only plan info.

This was effective Oct 2010.

~Medical Only is avail for all fares including flash fares.

~ It is available after final payment as long as the Princess vacation protection was originally declined when making the final payment on a booking.

~Provides coverage for medical expenses only up to a max of $10,000 per person who purchased. Emergency Evac up to a max of $25,000 pp.

~No other coverage is offered

~Once the Medical Only plan is purchased, the plan details are provided in the cruise personalizer under the "download documents" link.

~Plan is refundable if pax has not departed on cruise.

~Berkley Care is the plan provider.

Thanks Jennifer, that makes it easier to understand. ;)

Archived