It'sOfficial*NO NATURALIST on DREAM in ALASKA :(

DrVal

I just received "official" word that the 10 day DREAM cruise to ALASKA will NOT have a Naturalist on board.

I'm hoping that NCL has other "goodies" to make this a good choice for Alaska this year. I noticed that they substituted Haines for Skagway on some 11 day sailings. We're on the 10 day... I hope we don't get any more BAD NEWS! :(

Hey JJ:

No explanation. Just that they'd have a "Destination Lecturer" on board -- the NCL employee I communicated with actually had to contact the ship to ask about this. It seems there is no NCL policy -- which I think is crazy.

I had read somewhere on these baords that someone else was on another NCL ship and they picked up a Naturalist the day they went to Hubbard Glacier -- I was secretly hoping for that. How difficult could it be?!? :confused:

Anyway, I fear the "Destination Lecturer" will be a regular crew member giving a tired "port talk" -- there are still a few months left and it seems some room on the boats -- maybe they'll have time to arrange somethinhg?!? I think it would definitely enhance the value of the trip. A girl can dream... (no pun intended). :p

What date are you cruising? We'll be on the June 20th cruise. This will be our first NCL experience and we are hoping for the best but prepared for something less than that. :cool:

~a bad day at sea is better than a good day on land~ :D

The destination lecturers are experts in their field, brought on by NCL for the enjoyment of the guests. Not crew members. We had an excellent fellow on the Sun in Alaska last Sept. who guided us through the glaciers plus gave several lectures onboard on the Klondike gold rush, Alaska bears, etc.

A few years ago on a Baltic cruise on the Dream the lecturer covered all the art & architecture highlights and provided commentary through the Kiel Canal.

In our experience, the destination lecturers were highly informative and added a lot to the cruise.

On my two cruises into Glacier Bay we didn't have a "Naturalist" on board but both times a National Park Ranger boarded us via pilot boat and spent the day aboard while we sailed Glacier Bay and gave a running narration over the ships PA system. I thought they did an excellent job. I'm under the impression(right or wrong?)that most if not all ships utilize a Ranger during their time in Glacier Bay........anybody verify this????

I'm under the impression(right or wrong?)that most if not all ships utilize a Ranger during their time in Glacier Bay........anybody verify this????
I responded in the other thread about this subject and I responded that in three cruises to Alaska we'd had a naturalist aboard. Maybe I'm mixed up. I called this person a naturalist. This person was someone from the Parks Department. They wore the green and khaki uniform. I'd call them a park ranger but a park ranger can be a naturalist as well. The lecturers were different and the most informative. These were in no way crew members. Maybe the lecturers will fill the job as the naturalist?

Hey JJ:

No explanation. Just that they'd have a "Destination Lecturer" on board -- the NCL employee I communicated with actually had to contact the ship to ask about this. It seems there is no NCL policy -- which I think is crazy.

I had read somewhere on these baords that someone else was on another NCL ship and they picked up a Naturalist the day they went to Hubbard Glacier -- I was secretly hoping for that. How difficult could it be?!? :confused:

Anyway, I fear the "Destination Lecturer" will be a regular crew member giving a tired "port talk" -- there are still a few months left and it seems some room on the boats -- maybe they'll have time to arrange somethinhg?!? I think it would definitely enhance the value of the trip. A girl can dream... (no pun intended). :p

What date are you cruising? We'll be on the June 20th cruise. This will be our first NCL experience and we are hoping for the best but prepared for something less than that. :cool:

~a bad day at sea is better than a good day on land~ :D

Hi

We will be cruising on the May 30th Cruise. Because there is so much interest in the Dreams first time in Alaska I will do my best to write a review on this board when we return for all those who will be cruising after. We are spending 3 days touring around Washington before we head back to Fl. This is also my first NCL cruise and our first cruise in 12yrs. We are so looking forward to it, counting down the days!!!

Hi

We will be cruising on the May 30th Cruise. Because there is so much interest in the Dreams first time in Alaska I will do my best to write a review on this board when we return for all those who will be cruising after. We are spending 3 days touring around Washington before we head back to Fl. This is also my first NCL cruise and our first cruise in 12yrs. We are so looking forward to it, counting down the days!!!

We are in WA and will be on your cruise. If you need any help with WA sight-seeing info, we will be glad to help you.

Hellen & Bill Fung

Archived