Does this sound like a plan?

We will be in Liverpool on Thursday, June 16th from 8AM to 5PM on Vision of the Seas. We plan to walk to the James Street Station and buy Saveaway tickets there for roundtrip travel to Chester. We know we can't use the tickets before 09:30. We plan to catch a train as close as possible to 09:30, and see the cathedral and possibly hike on the city walls, have a pub lunch, see any other sights we have time for, and return to Liverpool by about 15:00. Time permitting, we will walk around Liverpool a bit before reboarding the ship.

Does anyone see a flaw in the plan? Like many from the U.S., we're novices at train travel, but the Merseyrail website seemed to make it all pretty plain.

Further questions: does anyone know if there are a large number of steps to climb to reach the city walls, or failing that, if there's a lift? By large number, we mean more than perhaps two or three normal household flights of stairs? And also, can anyone recommend a good place to grab lunch in the city center area? Last question: is there a tram to/from the station?

I have a friend whose husband is a Brit from Manchester, and he highly recommends Chester as charming and historic, so we're really hoping to make it part of our trip.

Thanks for any advice.

Patricia

I can't help you with the train part of your question but I agree with your friend's husband. Chester is a super place to see lots of historical sites. It is also a fairly small town centre so not too much walking. There are many sets of steps onto the top of the wall and most are the equivalent of 1 or 2 household flights. Do be careful though as they can be quite narrow and a bit uneven.

There are many different eating places including the usual food chains (McDonalds, Burger King etc) but there are many independent cafes and restaurants. Most of the pubs do reasonably priced and tasty meals too. I think it is a case of looking at the menus and deciding what you fancy. I would recommend trying the local delicacy .. cheshire cheese (Chester is the county town of Cheshire). It is a mild, creamy crumbly white cheese and absolutely delicious with crusty bread.

Whatever you decide to do, welcome to the UK and particularly to the north of England. Have a great day.

I can't help you with the train part of your question but I agree with your friend's husband. Chester is a super place to see lots of historical sites. It is also a fairly small town centre so not too much walking. There are many sets of steps onto the top of the wall and most are the equivalent of 1 or 2 household flights. Do be careful though as they can be quite narrow and a bit uneven.

There are many different eating places including the usual food chains (McDonalds, Burger King etc) but there are many independent cafes and restaurants. Most of the pubs do reasonably priced and tasty meals too. I think it is a case of looking at the menus and deciding what you fancy. I would recommend trying the local delicacy .. cheshire cheese (Chester is the county town of Cheshire). It is a mild, creamy crumbly white cheese and absolutely delicious with crusty bread.

Whatever you decide to do, welcome to the UK and particularly to the north of England. Have a great day.

Also visiting this area on the Rotterdam. Wondering when you say "the pubs do reasonably priced and tasty meals" what would the general cost be. I am trying to figure out how much foreign currency to bring.

Thanks for all your advice on the area. Karen

You can often get a main course (fish and chips, sausage and mash, pie and chips etc. Very English!) for around £6. Starters and puddings are often about £3. If you google 'pub grub in chester' there are a lot of sites with information.

Have a great holiday.

Thank you, Soccerref, for all the information and the kind thoughts. We will undoubtedly find the north of England worth so much more than a single day visit, so we'll have to find the time for a land trip in the near future.

Patricia

I'm glad the info is useful. Please ask if you have any other questions and I will do my best to help.

So many of the visitors to our country stay in the south ...London, Bath, Stonehenge etc.... or do Scotland, Wales and Ireland but we have a huge amount to offer in the Midlands and the north of England. There is beautiful scenery, wonderful beaches, vibrant cities, peaceful and picturesque villages, a wealth of historical sites and an amazing industrial heritage. It would be great if you could find time to visit us on a longer land tour.

Regards SR

Archived