Mini review from 27 March Allure w/ teens

We loved the cruise. I would not hesitate to book another. Please keep in mind that everyone is loking for something different out of their cruise experience. We have cruised on RCCL many times before and the only negative is the main dining room menu. I wish they would change the menus. Its been the same for years now.

We traveled with our our two teens DD16 and DS 13. They made full use of all the activities the ship had to offer. Try to get on the flowrider the first day. It opens at 1:00 with almost no lines. We had all done both the flowrider and the zip line within two hours of getting on the ship. We arrived at the port at about 10:45 and boarded about 11:30. We went to Park cafe for lunch--it became our favorite place to eat. Loved the breakfast sandwiches and the paninis. We made resevations for Giovanis for the first formal night with no trouble at all.

We had side by side boardwalk balconys 11327 and 11329 all the way aft. We loved them !!!!! We had no trouble with noise during the day. We couldn't hear a thing with the door closed unless there was a show at the aquatheater. The noisy part was when they played movies late at night. They were loud and ended about 12:00. We had to wait up for our teens to return from the club anyway. We could see the ocean and watch the shows for our balcony. We would pick those rooms again.

Our teens loved the ship. They were always in the club during the activities planned. Their favorites were the scavenger hunts. They both made lots of new friends and had a blast. The flowrider was the biggest hit. The took group lessons the first morning and learned alot. We thought it was worth the money. The pool deck never seemed crowed to us, but we went at off times. We liked to cool down after a day in the port. The cavaliering hot tubs were wonderful. We would try to watch sailaway from there as everyone else was getting ready for dinner.

The ports were fun, but we booked this trip for the ship. Labadee was OK. We didn't think the dragon coaster was worth the money. If you get stuck behind a person that hits the break alot like we did, it was worthless. They don't allow enough space between the cars and you are forced to break as well. We tryed to tell the workers, but they didn't seem to care. We are not sun worshipers, so we just walked around and got back on the ship for lunch and more flowriding.

Falmouth will be pretty when its done. Night and day difference between the vendors inside the gates than outside the gates. The ones inside were friendly and let you come to them. the ones outside the gate were very aggresive. Beware of taxi costs. We wanted to go to Breezes Starfish and we had to wait around awhile and bargain for a taxi. They went from 80.00 to 60.00 to 40.00 R/T for 4 pp to go about 10 minutes away. We did not pay them until they picked us up, just to be on the safe side.

Cozumel was fun. We booked an independent excursion to swim with the dolphins. That was really fun. We had a 2 hour time difference, so we shopped in the morning before it got too hot.

The shows were mostly great. We didn't care for the Temptations headliner show. Many people walked out in the middle of their show. Aquatheater shows were fantastic and don't miss Blue Planet. Chicago is good if you know the story line. We like the How to train your dragon ice show equally to the ice games evening show. The comedy show was funny. One hint--Dont be late for the shows. we were getting family photoes taked and the photographer kept saying one more, one more. We arrived at the show 10 minutes before it started and they were just letting the stand-by's get in. We got in, but were all the way in the back in a very small seat meant for one. A little uncomfortable.

Be sure to book the shows ahead of time. There were almost 6000 passengers on our sailing with over 2000 crew. Our waiter told us there were about 800 kids on board.

Try a few restaurants. We loved Rita's and Giovani's. We also has a few breakfasts at Johnny Rockets and one dinner. We only made it to the dining room 3 times as were were too busy the other nights. The windjammer was different from most ships and we didn't go very much. It didn't flow well to us. The wipeout cafe was up on the pool deck and very handy for a quick snack or a flavored water--yum!

Overall, we would love to book another, but on the oasis just to see the other shows. The staff was very good and it was a great trip with great weather. We made the destination the ship. If you have any questions, ask away !

Great review! Thanks for sharing. Our trip is coming up on May 1st. We also have a DD16 and a DS13. How did you keep in touch with them during the cruise? I figure they will be busy with the teen club, but we'll want to meet up from time to time. Any suggestions?

We used sticky notes on each others door. The room steward was a great help too. He would never remove the notes and always ask the kids if their parents knew where they were going.

I do have to tell you our DD had a drunk weird guy approach her and her friends on a landing between decks one evening. He had a mask on that he bought in Cozumel(they were everywhere). He offered them money to have his picture taken with them. Of course, they ran and allerted the kids club counselor and they got security involved. They were able to find him on cameras and follow him back to his cabin. We know they got him, but not sure what happened from there as it was the night before our last sea day and then home port. We were impressed in the way they handled things and security walked each teen back to their cabins and made sure they alerted their parents as well. The ship takes these matters very seriously. We had talked to our kids about what to do in certain situations ahead of time.

We have used sticky notes too. The kids leave messages and so do we. We always met up for lunch and dinner. ie We have Chops booked tonight. Meet in cabin at 5:30 to change ect. Go as group to Chops. It work very well and gave the kids a little responsiblity too, The youngest one was 5 at time and we would take turns picking her up from the little people club.

Do talk to teens about drunks and other problems that they may encounter and what to do. Also talk about drinks that have been left alone while they hop in and out of the pool.

We wanted to go to Breezes Starfish and we had to wait around awhile and bargain for a taxi. They went from 80.00 to 60.00 to 40.00 R/T for 4 pp to go about 10 minutes away. We did not pay them until they picked us up, just to be on the safe side.

Thank you for your review. How did you like Breezes? Is that considered an all inclusive? We still don't know what we are doing in Falmouth. But like you, I'm sailing this cruise for the ship, not so much the ports.

Great review. We'll be on the Allure in June and can not wait. We have 2 girls 16 & 13 and your story is really scary. Quick question, For the How to Train your Dragon Ice Show, is that also by reservation, or is it first come, first seating? And how many times during the cruise is the show shown? If you know the days and times as well, that would be great.

Would you also still have the Cruise Compasses for the week and be able to post or email them out.

Thanks in advance,

Knuckles

CleoCruiser, did your kids go on the flowrider before the ship sailed? And did they go on flowrider as part of the adventure ocean activites? Sorry to hear about the kids getting bothered; I will be traveling with 5 grandkids; and it will be a handful trying to keep up with them. Glad to hear the youth staff was on top of their game; and also security.

Thank you for your review. How did you like Breezes? Is that considered an all inclusive? We still don't know what we are doing in Falmouth. But like you, I'm sailing this cruise for the ship, not so much the ports.

Honestly, we weren't too impressed. We didn't arrive until about 11:00 and there was no chairs in shade left what so ever. The pool was nice, but since our kids were older, the slide did not impress them. The little poolside cafe had good snacks and "yes" it is all inclusive. We walked alone the beach and the vendors have the best prices. If you go, shop there instead of the port area. The buffet was nice and we ate there for lunch.

Great review. We'll be on the Allure in June and can not wait. We have 2 girls 16 & 13 and your story is really scary. Quick question, For the How to Train your Dragon Ice Show, is that also by reservation, or is it first come, first seating? And how many times during the cruise is the show shown? If you know the days and times as well, that would be great.

Would you also still have the Cruise Compasses for the week and be able to post or email them out.

Thanks in advance,

Knuckles

I do not have the compasses, but the train you dragon ice show was first come first serve basis. It was on a sea day around 2:00 in the afternoon. There were still seats available during the show. It was only offered once.

CleoCruiser, did your kids go on the flowrider before the ship sailed? And did they go on flowrider as part of the adventure ocean activites? Sorry to hear about the kids getting bothered; I will be traveling with 5 grandkids; and it will be a handful trying to keep up with them. Glad to hear the youth staff was on top of their game; and also security.

Yes, the flowrider opened at 1:00 the boarding day. They wanted to go wander around the ship, but I encouraged them to try it as soon as it opened, then I couldn't get them off of it. LOL The club had contests for teens and a few hours here and there just for the kids, but it was late at night around 10:00

What a scary situation for your daughter. I'm glad they handled it well. Thanks for reminding me to discuss these issues with the kids before the trip. The sticky notes are a great idea, and easy to pack! We are also planning to have dinner together at set times. Hopefully I won't become what my DD likes to call "OPP" (Over Protective Parent) :)

Cleocruiser, did you happen to do the Sea Lion Swim in Cozumel as well? We were on the same cruise and did the Sea Lion Swim... There was a family that had to head to the dolphin swim from our group... Just curious if it may have been you - you never know, it's a small world!

Yes, we did the sea lion swim at 11:00am. We were a little disappointed with it as they did say that we would get an opportunity for a sea lion hug and kiss. It still is on their website. It was fun though. The dolphin swim was great. I think there was only 8 of us with 2 dolphins. Did you buy any photos?

We were in the 11:00 AM group also! Small world I suppose... My wife and I did the dolphin swim in Tortola on our honeymoon in August and had a blast. She was disappointed we didn't do the hug and kiss as well... That was half of the excitement for us. I don't know if you all remember us or not, but I believe is was us, your family, and two others who had a family member that didn't participate, but sat in the stands. We still had fun... Although I think the dolphin swim was more enjoyable. For the price though, Chankanaab was a nice place to visit!

Were you guys the love and marriage couple? Funny. My husband went to UCF way back when. I wish we would have had a chance to talk more. It is a small world.

Yes, that would be us... I saw you guys around the ship a few times and thought you seemed more 'experienced' than the typical cruiser and thought you may be on CC. I also wish we had a chance to chat some more... We missed the Meet 'n Mingle too... We went to the parade and completely forget til we were sitting down to lunch in our favorite lunch spot... Park Cafe!

Yes, the flowrider opened at 1:00 the boarding day. They wanted to go wander around the ship, but I encouraged them to try it as soon as it opened, then I couldn't get them off of it. LOL The club had contests for teens and a few hours here and there just for the kids, but it was late at night around 10:00

thanks, that was the answer I was looking for. Much appreciated

Archived