Passport Question

Well depending on what happens or doesn't happen tomorrow you may be waiting quite awhile to get a passport or a VISA if the government shuts down. Passport/VISA processing will come to a halt with a government shutdown. I really hope this does not happen for everyone's sake but it's not looking good.

EXACTLY.....if there is a Gov shutdown today it stops the processing of all passport and visa applications.

I agree with getting a passport!! Even though it is not necessary right now for a closed loop cruise, it may become necessary at any time.

Two summers ago we did a cruise to Alaska out of Seattle. When I booked the cruise in February, a BC was all that was necessary. In June the laws changed for Canada, and we needed passports (although the debate went round and round between my TA and Princess and the gov't websites as to whether we REALLY needed them...I wasn't taking a chance). At that point we were too close to our cruise to go the typical route and needed to expedite them. Talk about a waste of money if I had just had them already. The stress involving getting expedited passports and the money spent on them for five people was definitely a good lesson for me - never again will I let them expire!

Things can't change "at any time". There is a process that has to be followed before they can change and that is a time consuming process that requires publication of any proposed changes in the Federal Register, a specific period of time for public comment, a period to review those comments and make any necessary adjustments to the proposed changes, and finally a publication of the new rules with a specific effective date. The rules can certainly change but it won't be sudden or without more than sufficient notice. There are many good, valid reasons for getting a passport, but worrying that the rules can change overnight is not one of them.

Archived