Passport Question

I'm going on Allure (Eastern -- St. Thomas, St. Martin) end of May. I'm going to Russia in July. I have to get a Visa for Russia and therefore have to mail my passport in along with my Visa application. Don't know if I will get it back in time for my cruise in May. Will I be able to use an expired passport for my cruise? Or do I have to wait until I get back from my cruise to mail it with my Visa application. That's cutting it close. Get back from Cruise on June 5. Russia is July 14....

You can use your birth certificate and drivers license for the Allure (closed loop cruise) and bring your expired passport just in case of anything. It won't be 'good' for anything but could help expedite the process if you need to fly home from a foreign port.

I'm going on Allure (Eastern -- St. Thomas, St. Martin) end of May. I'm going to Russia in July. I have to get a Visa for Russia and therefore have to mail my passport in along with my Visa application. Don't know if I will get it back in time for my cruise in May. Will I be able to use an expired passport for my cruise? Or do I have to wait until I get back from my cruise to mail it with my Visa application. That's cutting it close. Get back from Cruise on June 5. Russia is July 14....

If you have a certified birth certificate, that, and a government issued photo ID, is all that you will need to go on your Allure cruise.:) Since you needed the birth certificate to get your passport, you can use it for this cruise.

I was told that it would take a minimum of three weeks to get my Visa. I don't have a driver's license (don't drive) and who knows wheremy original birth certificate is. I used my old passport once by accident for Mexico because all they required was an original (raised seal) birth certificate) and you can't get a passport at all without one. So I'm wondering if that would apply for the cruise. What about St. Martin? I get my cruises mixed up and keep remembering one of them we had to line up in the dining room with our passports. But you don't need a passport to get back on the cruise ship, correct?

Interested to know what your plans are in Russia that you are needing to get your own visa? Guess your DIY and not using a private tour company..Details please..Thanks so much :)

I was told that it would take a minimum of three weeks to get my Visa. I don't have a driver's license (don't drive) and who knows wheremy original birth certificate is. I used my old passport once by accident for Mexico because all they required was an original (raised seal) birth certificate) and you can't get a passport at all without one. So I'm wondering if that would apply for the cruise. What about St. Martin? I get my cruises mixed up and keep remembering one of them we had to line up in the dining room with our passports. But you don't need a passport to get back on the cruise ship, correct?

You won't need a passport to get on or back on the cruise ship, but you will need a birth certificate and a government issued photo ID when you originally check in for your cruise (and earlier than that if you are flying to the port of embarkation). (I wouldn't risk taking a chance that they will overlook the fact that your old passport has expired.) Check with your state's vital statistic bureau to see how to get a copy of your birth certificate and see if the registry of motor vehicles offers a photo ID for people who do not have a driver's license. Many people who do not drive can get a government issued photo ID which they may need for various reasons, including being served alcohol if they are of legal drinking age but may need to show ID that specifies their age.

Interested to know what your plans are in Russia that you are needing to get your own visa? Guess your DIY and not using a private tour company..Details please..Thanks so much :)

I'm going on a River Cruise with Grand Circle Travel. They have a Visa and Passport service company that they recommend as GCT is unable to supply a letter of sponsorship. For some reason the service company is able to work within this restriction. They also told us not to apply directly with the embassy.

You won't need a passport to get on or back on the cruise ship, but you will need a birth certificate and a government issued photo ID when you originally check in for your cruise (and earlier than that if you are flying to the port of embarkation). (I wouldn't risk taking a chance that they will overlook the fact that your old passport has expired.) Check with your state's vital statistic bureau to see how to get a copy of your birth certificate and see if the registry of motor vehicles offers a photo ID for people who do not have a driver's license. Many people who do not drive can get a government issued photo ID which they may need for various reasons, including being served alcohol if they are of legal drinking age but may need to show ID that specifies their age.

Yes, yes, I know most of this. I used to have a non-driver's license, but that also has expired. Wouldn't the photo from the expired passport be an official government issued photo?? I remember years ago when I got my first passport it took a long time to get the "original" birth certificate. And as far as the "non" driver's license goes, I would have to take a day off from work to get this. No more time off. I'm short of time. I guess I'll have to use what I have and not send in my passport for the Visa until after I come back. Just keep my fingers crossed that I'll get my passport and visa back in time for the Russia cruise. Ugh.

Yes, yes, I know most of this. I used to have a non-driver's license, but that also has expired. Wouldn't the photo from the expired passport be an official government issued photo?? I remember years ago when I got my first passport it took a long time to get the "original" birth certificate. And as far as the "non" driver's license goes, I would have to take a day off from work to get this. No more time off. I'm short of time. I guess I'll have to use what I have and not send in my passport for the Visa until after I come back. Just keep my fingers crossed that I'll get my passport and visa back in time for the Russia cruise. Ugh.

The photo in the expired passport may qualify but you still need to meet the birth certificate requirement. If I were you, I would call or write for my birth certificate rather than dismiss doing so because it took so long previously. If you explain the need for expediting the document perhaps it can reach you with time to spare. If you are willing to risk being denied boarding by not doing so, it is your call.

The photo in the expired passport may qualify but you still need to meet the birth certificate requirement. If I were you, I would call or write for my birth certificate rather than dismiss doing so because it took so long previously. If you explain the need for expediting the document perhaps it can reach you with time to spare. If you are willing to risk being denied boarding by not doing so, it is your call.

In order to get a passport you HAVE to get an "original" birth certificate. Therefore, if you have a passport (expired or otherwise), that in effect IS your "original" birth certificate AND your "official" photo.

"It's 7 weeks before your Allure cruise. That should be plenty of time to get it back."

Yes, I think I will send it along for my Visa with a note asking to expedite because of the upcoming cruise. Thanks everyone...

In order to get a passport you HAVE to get an "original" birth certificate. Therefore, if you have a passport (expired or otherwise), that in effect IS your "original" birth certificate AND your "official" photo.

"It's 7 weeks before your Allure cruise. That should be plenty of time to get it back."

Yes, I think I will send it along for my Visa with a note asking to expedite because of the upcoming cruise. Thanks everyone...

Perhaps they will agree with your position, but I would be more comfortable just getting another copy of my birth certificate. Not sure why you find this so onerous but you certainly have time to get one and that would eliminate any possibility that you could be denied boarding. You had a birth certificate when you applied for your original passport, but apparently(?) misplaced it and are resisting making the effort to replace it. Your theory about the expired passport being proof that you had a birth certificate may be logical, but since when has the bureaucracy's action always been characterized as logical. I wish you luck.:)

Perhaps they will agree with your position, but I would be more comfortable just getting another copy of my birth certificate. Not sure why you find this so onerous but you certainly have time to get one and that would eliminate any possibility that you could be denied boarding. You had a birth certificate when you applied for your original passport, but apparently(?) misplaced it and are resisting making the effort to replace it. Your theory about the expired passport being proof that you had a birth certificate may be logical, but since when has the bureaucracy's action always been characterized as logical. I wish you luck.:)

I am "resisting" going through the trouble of getting another birth certificate because that's not the only item I would need. Since I don't drive, I also need to get a "non-driver's license and I would have to take a day off from work in order to do that. Figured what I'm going to do. I'm going to put a pre-paid FedEx envelope/label with my Visa application so they can return it to me via FedEx. I think this all solves my problem. Thanks.

Well depending on what happens or doesn't happen tomorrow you may be waiting quite awhile to get a passport or a VISA if the government shuts down. Passport/VISA processing will come to a halt with a government shutdown. I really hope this does not happen for everyone's sake but it's not looking good.

Good luck with the government shutting everything down. They say there are going to be delays1

I have a question regarding the certified birth certificate and driver's license. My neice is going on a cruise with us in October and does not want to get a passport. Since she is married; and the driver's license has her married name, but birth certificate has maiden name how do they handle this.

I have a question regarding the certified birth certificate and driver's license. My neice is going on a cruise with us in October and does not want to get a passport. Since she is married; and the driver's license has her married name, but birth certificate has maiden name how do they handle this.

She needs a copy of her marriage license as a "bridging" document that shows a bridge from her maiden name to her married name.......some people here will tell you its not needed or they have never been asked but I wouldnt chance it if I was her. At least have someone at home that can fax it to the port or she might be denied boarding.

I hear the walk of shame is well...............shameful :(

(I wouldn't risk taking a chance that they will overlook the fact that your old passport has expired.) .

Have you seen that show on one of the cable channels where they show the Oasis, and there is a lady there handling all sorts of passenger issues. One is an expired passport and the passport's owner was born in the Phillipines and couldn't get access to a copy of her birth certificate? They wouldn't let this lady sail with her expired passport.

To me, it would be too much of a risk.

I have two certified copies of my birth certificate. I had sent a copy off with my passport application. We ended up finding a really good deal and needed another copy before my passport and birth certificate would be returned. So.... I got another copy of my BC.

Just a thought. You could probably get another copy of your BC pretty quickly and just send the other copy off to get your Visa on your passport.

She needs a copy of her marriage license as a "bridging" document that shows a bridge from her maiden name to her married name.......some people here will tell you its not needed or they have never been asked but I wouldnt chance it if I was her. At least have someone at home that can fax it to the port or she might be denied boarding.

I hear the walk of shame is well...............shameful :(

Please get a passport!!!!!! And not one of those usless passport card, a real passport. Yes, some cruise lines still accept Original Birth Certificate (with the raised seal) along with drivers license but if you get on an island and if you have any issue like being hurt and not making back to ship, you will go through %&*$# to get back stateside. This also includes being sick on ship and having to be air lifted off ship to island due to medical emergency and having to take a plane home. This is why I book most of my tours with the ship as they guarantee you will make it back to the ship as they will wait if there is any issue. If you book an independent tour that is not the case you will be waiving bye bye shoreside. Some cruise lines will only accept Passports at this time. Also the government has been trying to make it passport only for some time so who knows when this will actually take place. I work for a cruise line and it is just unthinkable to me my why people balk at getting a passport. You spend a $1000 or more on a cruise and not want to spring for a passport which is around $100. I just don't get it. Just the peace of mind is worth it.

I have had a passport since I was 20 years old mainly as I was single and I never knew when some great guy wanted to take me to Paris for weekend. I was preparred.

I am sorry if you think I am coming down hard on you but really if I travel out of the continental US I always take a passport. You just never know what might happen. Why have the grief. And while I am at it, do not pack it in your suitcase, you can not believe how many passengers show up at the terminal with it packed and suitcase is out of their possession now in a sea of suitcases getting put on the ship. Guess who's last to board, if ever as it must be located. Thats a whole new can of worms I will not get into. If your worried about getting your passport back in time from your other trip spring for Fedx or some overnight expedit service.

Sorru if you feel I am venting and I guess I am, I am just hoping others see this and think long and hard, a passport is the only way to go to assure a pleasent trip, heck you could be the one showing up at the pier and the government finally cracked down an impossed the Passport only rule the day before and you'd be standing at the pier yourself waiving bye to all the others. Good luck.

Please get a passport!!!!!! .

Oh I totally agree with you but thats a whole other debate for another time. You would be surprised at how many balk at getting a Passport! I dont get it but its none of my business and Im certainly not going to argue with them about it.

I was just trying to tell the OP that if her niece doesnt want to take a chance on being denied boarding and having to do the walk of shame, she better take her marriage license along with her BC and DL.

There is NO WAY I would consider traveling out of the US without a Passport but one is certainly not required for a closed loop cruise to the Caribbean.

I agree with getting a passport!! Even though it is not necessary right now for a closed loop cruise, it may become necessary at any time.

Two summers ago we did a cruise to Alaska out of Seattle. When I booked the cruise in February, a BC was all that was necessary. In June the laws changed for Canada, and we needed passports (although the debate went round and round between my TA and Princess and the gov't websites as to whether we REALLY needed them...I wasn't taking a chance). At that point we were too close to our cruise to go the typical route and needed to expedite them. Talk about a waste of money if I had just had them already. The stress involving getting expedited passports and the money spent on them for five people was definitely a good lesson for me - never again will I let them expire!

Archived