Jazz Cruise in 2013, preferably in the fall?

wannago35

Considering doing this for our 10 year wedding anniversary, hubby would love it. Can't find anything for 2013 tho, anybody have any idea when that info might come out? I went to the smooth jazz cruise website but they don't even have an email list :confused: unless I missed it somehow

We started with jazz cruises for our anniversary also and now that is the only cruising we want to do. There are several out there depending on if you are looking for smooth/contemporary jazz or straight ahead jazz. Here are a few options for the fFall that you can try:

Capital Jazz Super Cruise (smooth/contemporary) normally in Oct.

Annual Jazz Party at Sea (straight ahead) they have had Sept. & Nov. sailings

Dave Koz Cruise (smooth/contemporary) normally in Oct.

Just add a dot com or do a search and you will find their websites.

The others that I'm aware of are in either Jan. or the first qtr. of the year. We go on the Smooth Jazz Cruise in Jan.

(anniversary in Oct) primarily do to scheduling issues in the Fall. They currently do all of their jazz cruises in Jan., but I'm sure you can find one that will meet your desires. One thing you will know for sure, the music will be FABULOUS.

I know the Smooth Jazz Cruise does a monthly newsletter and if you go to their contact page of the site and fill out the form weith your email address and ask them to put you on the email list they will. I would imagine all of them have some type of mail or email list.

I do need to warn you that jazz theme cruising is HIGHLY ADDICTIVE, but is so satisfying. If you enjoy the music and want to immerse your self in it and interact witht he artist, then this is your type of cruising

Happy hunting and I'm sure you'll find a cruise that works.

just be alittle patient...because of the incredible success of these full charter jazz/smooth jazz/cool soul cruises...by following the various websites as Greg suggested, you will find that the 2013 season will be open for sale in the late part of 2011 or early part of 2012..they usually sell out 4-6 months before sailing dates and some of them (example Capital Jazz SuperCruise) had an early bird special in July 2010 for this year's cruise in October 2011 with incredible rates for booking early (they go up every month)...you might take a look at the Capital Jazz SuperCruise website and look at the incredible eclectic jazz/smooth jazz/cool soul line up for this upcoming cruise...(disclaimer, went on it last year, best cruise I've ever been on)

like everyone has stated..these cruises are addictive and absolutely incredible to be a part of..once you been on one, cannot go back toa normal cruise...also, for the best experience, make sure it's a full charter jazz cruise, not one that has a large group on board for a regular sailing (you'll be able to tell the difference in price)

• 2 months later...

We are thinking of booking the "Straightahead" Jazz Cruise, (as opposed i guess to Smooth Jazz), and it looks like a great lineup. That is out of FLL in Jan-Feb. 2012. However, with the fees, insurance, etcetc it seems like quite a bit more $ than we have spent for the 2 (regular)cruises we've been on. Have you been on that one lately? Any opinions, advice? options for better prices?

There are definitely some straight ahead options out there for you. On most of them though I think you will find that you will pay more for a jazz or themed cruise than you will for a traditional non-theme based cruise. It is hard to compare a jazz cruise to any traditional type cruise or even a land based jazz festival. For us 100% of the entertainment on the cruise is jazz related. Every main showroom show(2 every night), lounge acts, piano bar act, lido stage, jam sessions and even the music piped throughout the ship is jazz. It is total immersion. There are no Broadway shows, no Las Vegas Revue shows, no magician, no kareoke, parlor games, bingo or anything like a traditional cruise calls entertainment. What you'll get are some of the genres bigeest stars, legends and up and comers performing, lecturing and giving tips and autographs all week long.

The access and interaction with the artist over the 7 days I don't think you could match at any other event. When I compared what I spend for a land based festival over 3 days with reserved seating to a what I get on a jazz cruise, I cut down my jazz festivals and do a jazz cruise every year.

Some other options would be the AnnualJazzPartyatSea and JazzSea. You can check out their websites if you add a dot com after those names. I'm sure you will find the line-ups impressive on any of these cruises as they all put on great cruises.

Hopefully the pricing won't put you off of doing a jazz cruise. Theme cruises (jazz in particular) are truly the best.

Have fun

Greg is absolutely :cool:right on:cool: in his assessment..what you are paying a premium for on the full charter jazz theme cruises is access and immersion with your favorite artists...you are sailing with 2500+ fellow cruisers who love jazz (straight/smooth/neo-soul/60's-70's funk) which gives everyone a common basis of interaction, you have several opportunties to see the artists perform and meet them and dine with them (amazing, cruisers respect the musicians privacy when they are in public venues with their families) chance for cd autographs and pictures and several allstar jam sessions thru out the week..once you've been on one, it will become your cruise of choice (a normal cruise will be very,very,very boring)...yes it's more expensive, but as Greg indicated one makes an adjustment thru out the year in exchange for an incredible week (which will fill your music 'jones' for the rest of the year)..I've geen on The Jazz Cruise and it is awesome, for the last two years (and planning to go this year on the Carnival Valor in October) I have been on the Capital Jazz SuperCruise which is amazing...well worth the extra $$$$..try it and you will feel you received great value for your $$$

If this guy to my left were playing a jazz show (with his group or solo) aboard a cruise ship, I would pay just about anything to be there. :) Was lucky enough to meet him a few years ago cruising as a customer aboard the RCL Legend.

It could be titled the Pat Metheny cruise "Are you going with me?"

• 1 month later...
Considering doing this for our 10 year wedding anniversary, hubby would love it. Can't find anything for 2013 tho, anybody have any idea when that info might come out? I went to the smooth jazz cruise website but they don't even have an email list :confused: unless I missed it somehow

Hi

Last year I waited debating with myself about Capital Jazz Supercruise next thing I know sold out! I made my final payment for this year's set to sail on Carnival Valor Oct 23. The prices are very reasonable. We live in NY so we go to the many venues in the city to see artists perform but how nice for them to be in one place. Hope to see you in 2013!

we are on the Capital Jazz SuperCruise 5 on the Valor this year also:)..should be an awesome time..see you onboard...Capital Jazz will be announcing plans for next year's cruise (SuperCruise 6) this month along with it's early bird pricing special so now is the time to book for Oct 2012

• 2 weeks later...
we are on the Capital Jazz SuperCruise 5 on the Valor this year also:)..should be an awesome time..see you onboard...Capital Jazz will be announcing plans for next year's cruise (SuperCruise 6) this month along with it's early bird pricing special so now is the time to book for Oct 2012

Hattack

Been watching the website everyday just waiting for the early bird prices! I thought about starting a roll call here just to become acquainted with some of the people who are as excited as I am to be cruising in Oct. So I am glad to meet you.

did you notice that St Lucia will be one of the ports of call next year for SuperCruise 6

I did notice St Kitt's, Domenica, and the others we have the OS this year for that sailing I want to book GS! We saw Will Downing at BB Kings a few months back so we're not as disappointed he won't be coming this year. Have an awesome day!

Will Downing performed at this years Capital Jazz Festival in June (he was awesome) in Baltimore, so since he could not sail with us last year due to his illness, he might still be on this year's cruise if not next year (SC6)

because it's a full charter, Capital Jazz can select the islands based upon feedback from survey's of past SuperCruise guests..I would not be surprise to see Barbados, Aruba and Grand Turk (loved it last year)

also at this year's festival was Larrry Graham and Graham Central Station and Con Funk Shun..based upon the positive reaction of the crowd, would not be surprised to see them on future SuperCruises...Larry Graham did a whole medley of Sly and The Family Stone's hits and had everybody singing and dancing and we missed the first 30 minutes of Natalie Cole' set because we were having such a great time

We have gone in the past. But we had another engagements. As you see we are doing lots of sailing this year. That isn't free lol.

I did start the roll call for the Valor. I'm just hanging on until we can book SC6. I love Will we have seen him in NY for the past few years at least annually. Happy to see Maze since we skipped Essence in New Orleans this year!

Have a great evening.

one of the changes that Time Warner put in place after they purchase Essence and by extension the Essence Festival is that Frankie Beverly and Maze no longer close the Festival on Sunday night..they have Mary Jane Blige and the first year Earth Wind and Fire..needless to say alot of festival goers were upset

Since I attended Woodstock in 1969 (I grew up 15 minutes from Bethel NY) I'm looking forward to The Family Stone (2 original members still perform) and of course the future love of my life Chante Moore ...I am a member of Nick Colionne's fan club (Connections) and look forward to alot of activities onboard with them

with such an incredible and motley line up, this should be an awesome cruise

Wow thanks for that update on Essence. I was born in 1968 my husband in 1969. We've only been married 2 yrs but have been friends since I was 9 and he was 8. My parents were music lovers my dad still has a reel to reel LOL! & hundreds of beta and vhs tapes hold your side. You must still be laughing. My mom loved Sly & the Family. Chante's husband will be on board. This will be a blast! I have got my tickers counting down. Enjoy the rest of your evening.

I'm not laughing..I still have my SONY reel to reel tape player that I purchased with my first paycheck after graduating from college in 1973 (SUNY Oswego) and my 8 track tape player with the Superfly soundtrack that skips in the middle..Eric Benet is getting married this weekend and his wife (Prince's ex) will be onboard ..will Kenny Lattimore be performing also ? there are still cabins available so perhaps you can bring your parents and we can have dinner one night and I will share all of my Woodstock stories (I have a picture of Sly and The Family Stone performing in Oct of 1969 that I already had Larry Graham signed and will have the two original members still with the group sign while we are onboard)..a great present for your parents is a book published by Taschen titled "Funk and Soul Covers" which has 450 pages of album covers from the 50's thru late 70's and a short history of how the cover came about..great album covers from Sly & The Family Stone, Patti Austin, Roy Ayers, George Duke, Frankie Beverly & Maze, Phil Perry (who sang background for Carl Carlton (She's A Bad Mama Jama)..bring the book with you, have the artists sign and if your parents can't come, present it to them as a Christmas gift(your Dad will love you, my son/grandson gave me the book last Christmas) ..just announced today on the website the featured "Cooking With Jazz " guest chef is Aaron McCargo Jr. from the Food Network show "Big Daddy's House" (saturday 9 am)..I have all the latest CD's of every artist on our cruise, let me know if you are missing any..i've seen most of the artists perform live either on a smooth jazz cruise (have been on 5) or at a summer jazz festival both domestic and international..really looking forward to all the neo-soul artists performing in the atrium (Underground Lounge)..suspect that a few more artists will be announced in the upcoming weeks..if this is your first full charter smooth jazz/cool soul cruise, be sure to take monday and tuesday off from work following the cruise..trust me, you will need the extra time to rest since you won't be resting for 8 straight nights (saturday night is a huge pre-cruise party at the host hotel)

I worked nights for 15 years. So now I sleep 3-4 hrs daily, sad but true. To add insult to injury, I am a night owl fall asleep between 1-3 am my husband wakes between 3-4. So I wake up again then get an extra hour when he finally showers.

Kenny Lattimore is not scheduled to perform but the last time we saw her, he was a surprise guest.

You are my dad's long lost friend. LOL!

I can't take the extra days off scheduled to fly out to San Antonio TX for a conference on 11/3. We are flying into Miami on Sunday. Flight leaves JFK at 7am.

Hattack you seem like someone who likes a good time.

There are cabins available but my mom is deceased since 1993 and my dad is remarried with kids 16 & 19. I may still get the book for him thanks for the suggestion. On my way to work enjoy your day.

use to work at EWR airport (old airline person)..a 700 am non stop to MIA out of JFK (thinking AA) on cruise day should make it with no problem but cutting it close (what's your back up plan)..check with your air carrier about a 2-3 days out to see if your flight is oversold and offer to volunteer ( pre-removed at no add/collect for you) to the last flight out on Saturday night (810 pm) if your work schedule permits..the cost of the hotel room (Capital Jazz has special SuperCruise rates) is better then setting on the tarmac on Sunday

good luck and see you onboard...as it gets closer, let's start emailing each other and we can connect onboard

use to work at EWR airport (old airline person)..a 700 am non stop to MIA out of JFK (thinking AA) on cruise day should make it with no problem but cutting it close (what's your back up plan)..check with your air carrier about a 2-3 days out to see if your flight is oversold and offer to volunteer ( pre-removed at no add/collect for you) to the last flight out on Saturday night (810 pm) if your work schedule permits..the cost of the hotel room (Capital Jazz has special SuperCruise rates) is better then setting on the tarmac on Sunday

good luck and see you onboard...as it gets closer, let's start emailing each other and we can connect onboard

My email is mrsbuddha124@gmail.com. the plane is scheduled to land at 11:09 am thank you again

MrsBuddah and Hattack:

I will also be on the Valor in October. Can't wait, it will be my first cruise ever! I did see that Chante Moore and Kenny Lattimore is getting a divorce so he will probably not be on the cruise.

Hattack: I am going to look for that book you suggested. It sounds like something I would love to have.

Hope to see you in October.

MrsBuddah and Hattack:

I will also be on the Valor in October. Can't wait, it will be my first cruise ever! I did see that Chante Moore and Kenny Lattimore is getting a divorce so he will probably not be on the cruise.

Hattack: I am going to look for that book you suggested. It sounds like something I would love to have.

Hope to see you in October.

Hi Weekendlady

I didn't want to hijack the thread so I started a roll call on Carnival Valor.

Unfortunately, all the blocks of rooms reserved for the pre-party are gone! they have been gone since June. only alternative is to google the overflow hotels for better rates.

Archived