Aft Cabins

6pack

Given the choice; would you book another aft cabin?  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Given the choice; would you book another aft cabin?

• In a Heartbeat!
    • Yes
    • Possibly
    • No

I am also in the minority here, I did not like an aft cabin. I thought I missed a great deal of the scenery, and being in port was not fun at all. I had to turn on my TV to see what was happening.

I also did not like the covered balcony. I usually (and almost always) stay on the Carribe deck where you have both covered and uncovered.

I stayed at the front of the ship once (can't remember which ship) and loved that.

Thanks for your comments and pictures! Is the wake noise loud in the cabin or just on the deck. I don't think this will bother us as I enjoy the ocean noise! :)

Dave

No, once the double-glazed balcony doors were closed, cabin was as quiet as any other. Enjoy :)

If you are talking about aft cabins that are direnctly over the wake and face backwards, then those cabins are my least favorite. The sound of the wake was a loud roar. We could not enjoy our balcony because you could not speak in normal conversational tones while at sea (while in port it is fine). The noise did not disturb me when in the cabin with the balcony doors closed. The vibrations did not not disturb me either, because I am an early riser and they only lasted a few minutes while docking in the morning. However, I love using the balcony and could not use it comfortably because of the wake noise. I will never book another aft cabin over the wake again.

I do like aft cabins that face either side. These cabins are simply toward the back of the ship but face port or starboard. The location for the main dining room and the buffet is excellent. You cannot hear the wake from these cabins.

If you are talking about aft cabins that are direnctly over the wake and face backwards, then those cabins are my least favorite. The sound of the wake was a loud roar. We could not enjoy our balcony because you could not speak in normal conversational tones while at sea (while in port it is fine). The noise did not disturb me when in the cabin with the balcony doors closed. The vibrations did not not disturb me either, because I am an early riser and they only lasted a few minutes while docking in the morning. However, I love using the balcony and could not use it comfortably because of the wake noise. I will never book another aft cabin over the wake again.

I do like aft cabins that face either side. These cabins are simply toward the back of the ship but face port or starboard. The location for the main dining room and the buffet is excellent. You cannot hear the wake from these cabins.

We had C752 on Emerald, while our daughters had C748, the last cabin port side before the Aft cabins. The balcony is actually a little bigger than the other BB cabins because of it's shape, and you only have one neighbor on your right (or left if you're on the opposite side of the ship. Something to consider if you want a decent alternative to the Aft cabins.:)

Someone once told me that they like the aft cabins/balconies because they can go out on their balcony naked as a jaybird if they wanted to and no one would see them if the ship was at sea. They wouldn't do that in port :eek:.

It will really depend on what aft cabin.

We are not sea-sickness prone, but our experience with R749 on Caribbean Princess was quite interesting. Great location, right next to Terrace pool and buffet, but 24/7 motion. :)

We had never considered booking an aft cabin until a Future Cruise person recommended it to us. She had married a fellow crewman and actually held her wedding reception on the cabin balcony. She assured us the balcony would be larger -- and she was right. The area was actually more square, not as rectangular as a regular balcony. There was room for lounge chairs as well as a teak table and four chairs. Nice! No need to drag the desk chair outside....we also enjoyed an upgrade to the St. Thomas vista suite on the Emerald last fall, which also presented us with a great balcony. I don't think you'll be sorry you booked that cabin. Enjoy, fellow cruisers!!

We have only had Aft cabins. The Balconies are awsome and the view is great. We have seen a lot of great sunsets off of the balconies. It is so peaceful sitting out on the balcony and listening to the wake.

I notice that you are sailing on the Emerald in a few days. Do you have an aft? Which one? We have booked 752 on the Emerald for Jan 2013. Can you take some pictures and post them when you get back?

We were on the Emerald in November and had Aft cabin D734. It was complelty covered and did have a beam that cut into part of it. No big deal, the balcony was double the size of a side balony. I must admidt wthat the sound of the wake was loud while the ship was moving,, I think it's because it's an enclosed area. However, we got used to it. There is no noise in the cabin when the door is closed. We did breakfast on the balcony many mornings and cocktails every night before dinner. We would defineately do this cabin again.

IMG_1408.jpg.c4e45035e8ad18a7fd10e66711e38516.jpg

Wow! Thanks for everyone's comments and poll entries on this question. Certainly the vast majority who responded would do another aft stateroom selection. After reading all the comments we're confident we made the right selection on the Crown (B748). Looking forward to the different vantage point and balcony privacy!

Thanks again :)

Archived