Oceania taps new president

dwelsh

Oceania taps new president, Binder moves up to PCH vice chair

Oceania Cruises and its parent, Prestige Cruise Holdings, are rolling out a raft of management changes, adding executives and streamlining key reporting paths.

Oceania president Bob Binder will become vice chairman and president of Prestige Cruise Holdings, while Bruce Himelstein (pictured), a former senior Kerzner International and Ritz Carlton executive, will assume the Oceania presidency. The changes take effect May 1.

Reporting directly to PCH chairman and ceo Frank Del Rio, Binder will work alongside him on the final outfitting and delivery of Oceania’s Riviera, scheduled to join the fleet in April 2012.

He will also oversee several strategic initiatives, including the global expansion of the PCH brands, which include Regent Seven Seas Cruises, and will maintain relationships with several of the company’s largest retail partners.

Himelstein has held senior sales and marketing positions at several major hospitality companies and was svp sales and marketing at Ritz Carlton during the most ambitious expansion in the brand’s history. He most recently served as evp and chief marketing officer for Kerzner International.

‘I am delighted to welcome Bruce to our family of accomplished executives. He brings a tremendous amount of experience and talent to Oceania Cruises during the brand’s expansion,’ Del Rio said.

In related news, Victor Gonzalez, evp passenger services for Oceania and Regent, will step into an expanded role and report directly to Del Rio. His responsibilities now include all aspects of call center management, yield and revenue management, training and development, and guest relations.

Howard Sherman, svp revenue management for both brands, will now oversee air services and continue to report to Gonzalez.

Frank Del Rio, Jr., who is responsible for hotel and land programs and shore excursions for Oceania and Regent, will assume the title svp port and destination services, with operational and relationship responsibilities for more than 350 ports worldwide. Del Rio will now report to Robin Lindsay, evp vessel operations for PCH.

© Copyright 2011 Seatrade Communications Limited. Replication or redistribution in whole or in part is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Seatrade Communications Limited.

Reading that I would guess that Regent and Oceania will become more similar and then possibly one!!:confused:

Funny you say that. Just the other day a friend forwarded me an email from her friend's TA. The TA said Oceania is planning to go all-inclusive. :(

Funny you say that. Just the other day a friend forwarded me an email from her friend's TA. The TA said Oceania is planning to go all-inclusive. :(

If the all-inclusive refers only to alcohol, then, even though I don't drink that much, I see that as a good thing, and keeps Oceania competitive with Azamara and Crystal and Regent and other lines that include it, and it doesn't cost Oceania that much to provide the alcohol.

But I don't want inclusive shore excursions because it will probably push the fares into the stratosphere, just as happened at Regent.

When did Crystal start supplying alcohol gratis?

Crystal has advertised it will offer "complimentary fine wines, premium spirits and gratuities at no extra charge" starting Spring 2012. I think you have to be in public rooms to get the "free" alcohol.

It's still mostly fixed, traditional dining (two seatings unless the ship has a low occupancy) with lots of formal and informal nights (informal means a jacket is still required, though no tie is) and no regular alternate dining venues in the evening.

Crystal has advertised it will offer "complimentary fine wines, premium spirits and gratuities at no extra charge" starting Spring 2012. I think you have to be in public rooms to get the "free" alcohol.

It's still mostly fixed, traditional dining (two seatings unless the ship has a low occupancy) with lots of formal and informal nights (informal means a jacket is still required, though no tie is) and no regular alternate dining venues in the evening.

The two seatings & their ridiculous dress code is why we left Crystal. As far as alternate dining, Prego was superb. Then again, O is so much better.

If Oceania is to include alcohol, let it be as an option, the same as airfare. We left Regent when they became all inclusive. What we don't need are 2 lines offering the same thing. What makes Oceania stand out are the differences between the 2 lines.

PLEASE don't make cookie cutter ships!

The two seatings & their ridiculous dress code is why we left Crystal. As far as alternate dining, Prego was superb. Then again, O is so much better.

I am pretty sure that Prego and Silk Road will become all-inclusive (currently there is a $7 pp charge for gratuity), since grauities are included and alcohol will be gratis there, too, so nothing left to pay (unless one wants to tip extra).

When I said there is no regular alternate dining spot on Crystal, I meant to say there is unfortunately no alternate CASUAL dinner spot, but since no one here has pointed that out, I guess you all are a smart bunch and understood that's what I meant.

If Oceania is to include alcohol, let it be as an option, the same as airfare. We left Regent when they became all inclusive. What we don't need are 2 lines offering the same thing. What makes Oceania stand out are the differences between the 2 lines.

PLEASE don't make cookie cutter ships!

Airfare is easily bundled or not as it occurs before or after the cruise and it doesn't matter if everyone selects the same thing. All-inclusive alcohol happens during the cruise.

I like the idea of alcohol included, or at least wines with dinner, and wish Oceania would consider adding that in the near future. It doesn't seem to add much at all to the fares and could add a lot to the conviviality onboard. For those who don't drink alcohol, Oceania could offer non-alcoholic wines and beers and "virgin" mixed drinks, in addition to the soda, coffees, etc. that they have now.

Gillianrose, I think we are on the same wave length...

I would like wines with dinner included, maybe an occasional cocktail, but since my husband doesn't drink except for an occasional sip of my wine and I'm no longer a bar fly, the wine is the important thing for me. I'd like maybe an occasional cocktail before but I can live without it, especially since O lets me bring my own on board (although I rarely have done so).

I certainly do NOT like the idea of per-day charges for unlimited alcohol (although it does seem to be limited) because I cannot imagine spending that much per day -- or drinking that much per day -- especially since DH would be ordering OJ!

But wine included with dinner would be a big plus for me ... as long as I approve of the wine choice, of course! I've gotten into the habit of ordering a nice bottle of wine and nursing it for several days but when I've ordered the "house" wine I have not been unhappy.

Archived