Communication from Home to ship

serendipity1499

We're leaving on the Regatta this Tues. for two weeks & someone may have to contact us by phone in an emergency..

Can't find a phone Number which the party can call to reach us on the ship..Normally calling shore to ship they would use a credit card & dial a special number, & ask for our cabin No. but don't know where to look for phone number of the Regatta..

We also never use the ship's INTERNET service or e-mail while cruising.. However in our docs it states that Oceania has set up an e=mail account for us...

If someone needed to contact us aboard ship & they send an e-mail as described in our docs to:

Exxxx@regatta.cruisemail.net Attn: XXX stateroom No. 1234

will the Internet Center Manager receive the e-mail & send it directly to our cabin, so I can telephone the person back using our cabin phone?

I have a Virgin Mobile Prepaid cell phone which uses the sprint lines in the U.S..I can make calls to the Dominican Rep. & Bermuda , but can't call from these places, so would have to use the ships cabin phone to place my calls..

Would appreciate any suggestions you can give me..

Thanks...Betty

If you do not get the answer before you go ask at reception for the phone number to the ship

Then email or call the person(s) that may need to contact you

I am not sure if it was in our booklet or not

Lyn

We board Regatta on the 26APR and on the beginning pages of our docs "blue folder" it states that there is a 24 hour emergency hotline and I assume that if there was an emergency during non business hours they would forward the message to the ship - 1-786-208-2888. I do not believe that the internet office has access to personal emails so any emails sent to your "Regatta" email address would not be opened and brought to your cabin.

I am sure if you contact your TA or O directly they may be able to provide you with more specific emergency contact information.

Enjoy your cruise!!

We're leaving on the Regatta this Tues. for two weeks & someone may have to contact us by phone in an emergency..

Can't find a phone Number which the party can call to reach us on the ship

I just sent you an email with a contact number. Hope it works

If you do not get the answer before you go ask at reception for the phone number to the ship

Then email or call the person(s) that may need to contact you

I am not sure if it was in our booklet or not

Lyn

Good idea...Thanks

We board Regatta on the 26APR and on the beginning pages of our docs "blue folder" it states that there is a 24 hour emergency hotline and I assume that if there was an emergency during non business hours they would forward the message to the ship - 1-786-208-2888. I do not believe that the internet office has access to personal emails so any emails sent to your "Regatta" email address would not be opened and brought to your cabin.

I am sure if you contact your TA or O directly they may be able to provide you with more specific emergency contact information.

Enjoy your cruise!!

Yes saw that but think it's only for passengers..Thank you for your help..

Can't find a phone Number which the party can call to reach us on the ship

I just sent you an email with a contact number. Hope it works

OK Appreciate your help..Just sent you a reply..

Thanks so much...Betty

Regarding receiving an email while on board (addressed to your ship email address as opposed to your personal email address), it used to be that they posted the names of people who have received emails outside the internet cafe.

I wonder if you could call there to check so as to avoid going by there every day just in case ...

But it's also worth going into the internet cafe when you board and asking the staff if they could notify you if an email has been received.

Regarding receiving an email while on board (addressed to your ship email address as opposed to your personal email address), it used to be that they posted the names of people who have received emails outside the internet cafe.

I wonder if you could call there to check so as to avoid going by there every day just in case ...

But it's also worth going into the internet cafe when you board and asking the staff if they could notify you if an email has been received.

Many of the cabins and all of the Suites now have their own computers, so there would not be any reason to check with anyone. :D

Many of the cabins and all of the Suites now have their own computers, so there would not be any reason to check with anyone. :D

Do the outside cabins on the "Regatta" have computers? If so would I have to set up for internet service, just in case we receive an important e-mail ?

Originally Posted by Mura

Thanks..

The following info is from Page 36 of our Blue Book for our cruise on the Regatta in January 2011:

"To call your friends our family onboard dial 1-866-242-7447 (Dial 1732-335-3277 outside the USA).

Please have your credit card, ship name, passenger name and stateroom number ready. Calls are charged at $4.95 per minute."

Don

Do the outside cabins on the "Regatta" have computers? If so would I have to set up for internet service, just in case we receive an important e-mail ?

Originally Posted by Mura

Thanks..

On the Marina, the Concierge cabins have computers in them, but I'm not sure if that has been rolled out to the R Ships as of yet.

You would have to buy internet minutes to check your email unless you want to use the service where Oceania charges you so many dollars (was it $4.00?) per email; just to send and receive.

It may be too late but Verizon has a plan where phones work on the ship. There is a special plan where they deliver the "internatioal" phone to your home and you load your current cell phone number to the international phone. After the trip, send the phone back. Oceania has a connection somehow to Verizon while at sea.

I do not think the B or lower cabins have computers yet

Not everyone has a suite or PH ;)

I think you can check the Oceania email for free you just pay $3.95 for each message not internet time charges

It should tell you in the booklet

I just asked my TA the same question regarding "receiving emails" on board and she answered "yes, it will be delivered to you at the cost of $2 per message" can anyone actually confirm that this is so?

In the Blue Booklet, it doesn't mention about receiving emails, just that it's $3.95 per minute to send.

Shirley

:o

The following info is from Page 36 of our Blue Book for our cruise on the Regatta in January 2011:

"To call your friends our family onboard dial 1-866-242-7447 (Dial 1732-335-3277 outside the USA).

Please have your credit card, ship name, passenger name and stateroom number ready. Calls are charged at $4.95 per minute."

Don

Thanks Don, just found that paragraph in our docs also on page 32...I'm not as eagle eyed as I once was..:o

It may be too late but Verizon has a plan where phones work on the ship. There is a special plan where they deliver the "internatioal" phone to your home and you load your current cell phone number to the international phone. After the trip, send the phone back. Oceania has a connection somehow to Verizon while at sea.

It's probably too late & we still don't know if they will try to contact us yet..

We're in the process of purchasing a condo from three sisters & our Inspector found major things wrong (one is a leak from a shower above us) which must be corrected prior to closing..It's been impossible to get these three women to agree on anything..:eek:We hope it all will be resolved before we leave, but if not our Realtor might have to contact us on board..

DH keeps saying we should not be going on this cruise, but we stand to lose too much money & we both need the rest..

What a mess!;)

Thanks everyone for your help..

Cheers...:)Betty

It used to be $2 to send and $2 to receive not per minute but per email if using the you @ Oceania at sea address.

This WAS a great service I am very sad to see has been downgraded / lost with the recent internet upgrade.

There was no need to waste your time to get a connection and log in and then check mail if you just wanted to see if you had received email. You could simply check the board when passing by the computer room and see there was a listing for you. No charge and very convenient.

Now you must purchase internet time and log in and then check the O at sea mailbox to see IF you've got mail. Waste of money and time.

I can see no point in the O at sea email service now. Being as you must pay for internet time and log in you may as well use a free internet mail service such as hotmail.

Beofre our cuise on Marina's MV I called O to check on this as I heard it was changing. Was told it would now be $4 to send and no charge to receive. I thought that was great until I got on baord and learned I now had to log in eveyday. Thinking it was still the same concept as the old system I gave the O at sea email address as an emergency contact to our housesitter, dog's kennel, etc. I would never have done that had I know I had to login to find out just IF I had mail.

I do not think the B or lower cabins have computers yet

Not everyone has a suite or PH ;)

I think you can check the Oceania email for free you just pay $3.95 for each message not internet time charges

It should tell you in the booklet

That's no problem but I think we should give our Realtor the phone number & then we can answer her by e=mail if necessary..

I just asked my TA the same question regarding "receiving emails" on board and she answered "yes, it will be delivered to you at the cost of $2 per message" can anyone actually confirm that this is so?

In the Blue Booklet, it doesn't mention about receiving emails, just that it's $3.95 per minute to send.

Shirley

I saw that too Shirley..Looking forward to our cruise..See you Tuesday..

Betty

Beofre our cuise on Marina's MV I called O to check on this as I heard it was changing. Was told it would now be $4 to send and no charge to receive. I thought that was great until I got on baord and learned I now had to log in eveyday. Thinking it was still the same concept as the old system I gave the O at sea email address as an emergency contact to our housesitter, dog's kennel, etc. I would never have done that had I know I had to login to find out just IF I had mail.

I think there was a separate login for the @ sea mail but I have never used it so did not pay attention

I thought that if you used the @ sea address you did not need to pay for internet time just the message:confused:

That was the whole idea of using it

On Marina there is NO board where you can check if you have mail

I would check with the computer person before you do anything

If you have webmail maybe just check when in port (if you can)

Betty you could also have the realtor fax you on the ship there is a number for that also

Lyn

Thanks yohoho. I have asked my TA again and she will double check with O - but who are we to believe? :confused: We need someone who has just got off the Regatta and has the latest information about receiving emails. Pleeeeeze!

Shirley

We need someone who has just got off the Regatta and has the latest information about receiving emails. Pleeeeeze!

Shirley

maybe ask on the roll call of one that just returned

According to Oceania's main office today when I called them, there is no charge to receive emails, but you do have to go to the internet cafe, get on their computer to log on to your cruisemail.net address Oceania provide, then you can see if anyone has sent you an email. :rolleyes:

I think there was a separate login for the @ sea mail but I have never used it so did not pay attention

I thought that if you used the @ sea address you did not need to pay for internet time just the message:confused:

That was the whole idea of using it

On Marina there is NO board where you can check if you have mail

I would check with the computer person before you do anything

If you have webmail maybe just check when in port (if you can)

Betty you could also have the realtor fax you on the ship there is a number for that also

Lyn

Thanks Lyn..Probably a FAX would be better..

According to Oceania's main office today when I called them, there is no charge to receive emails, but you do have to go to the internet cafe, get on their computer to log on to your cruisemail.net address Oceania provide, then you can see if anyone has sent you an email. :rolleyes:

Ok Thanks..Hopefully it will be resolved before we leave but if not we'll play it by ear..I'll be sure to keep my cell on while in the U.S. ports.

thanks again everyone..

Cheers...Betty

While we have not been on OCL for 2 yrs, in the past the internet manager did not and could not notify a guest when an email came into the ship. It is the guest's responsibility. And as a reminder, whether or not a guest reads the email or even has knowledge of it, there will be a $2 charge (for up to 100kb of data) to their account. My advice, give the OCL email address only to people who absolutely NEED to have it and remind them you will pay dearly for any inbound email. If they send photos or extensive data, that $2 charge will go up rapidly.

We'll be on the Panama Canal trip this month....can't wait.

And as a reminder, whether or not a guest reads the email or even has knowledge of it, there will be a $2 charge (for up to 100kb of data) to their account.

The have changed internet suppliers so some things have changed

enjoy the cruise

Archived