Questions for Stockholm Locals!

Like to ask locals a couple of questions:

Our Constellation cruise arrives Tuesday 7 June to Stadsgarden and we are listed (or so it appears) as the only cruise ship in Stockholm that day. It would seem that the city's tourism industry would then do its best to provide these 2,000 passengers services to accommodate them in this 10:00 to 16:00 time period?

(1) Any guesstimate based on 2010 as to the likelihood of a rainy versus a clear day?

(2) I understand that I will be able to use at least one hop-on hop-off boat service and can obtain direct transport to the Vasa museum. One is Stromma, the other is Rederi Malaren. The only difference I can see is the second has a graduated "# stops" payment system that I can't understand. Can you? The Stromma organization has a substantial promotional campaign and also does the canal tours in Copenhagen. Their current response to me is at least unusual in that they push a 24-hour pass (we are there for realistically 6 hours) and say that you can only buy it in their offices (not on the boat, not near the boat)! If we make it to their offices, we waste time and why would we then need their services? Also, the Malaren operation doesn't seem to want to provide an email address, so the group of us can't ask them these sort of questions.

(3) Would really like to visit Millesgarden rather than Skansen (as well as a couple of hours in Gamla Stan). Should I assume that if I don't form a group and lease a boat, this isn't reasonable in 6 hours and I should just be happy with boat transport, Vasa, and Gamla Stan? On the other hand, the daily charge is about 12 euro (not bad). Any other options when using the boat service for transport?

(4) Can I get by with a Capital One Visa card (museum, boat pass, food in a restaurant) and not deal with local currency? In a pinch, will restaurants take euros?

Much thanks,

DJ:)

Hi,

1) You never know with the weather here. It can be rainy and 10°C or it can be warm and sunny. It's really to early to say. We had a brutal winter so hopefully the summer will be kind to us.

2) Yes, you seem to be right. On Rederi Mälaren you can choose to just go a short distance and pay less. Otherwise its 100SEK for a day. What kind of promotion is it with Strömma? Some combo with Stockholm+Copenhagen?

3) Not sure I understand what you mean here. Do you want to take a boat taxi? Millesgården is a little bit off from Stadsgården. If you take public transportation it will take about 40 min one way. 20 min with a cab.

4) Yes, you'll be fine with a normal Visa card and if you ask I'm pretty sure all restaurants/stores will be able to take Euros.

• 4 weeks later...
Like to ask locals a couple of questions:

Our Constellation cruise arrives Tuesday 7 June to Stadsgarden and we are listed (or so it appears) as the only cruise ship in Stockholm that day. It would seem that the city's tourism industry would then do its best to provide these 2,000 passengers services to accommodate them in this 10:00 to 16:00 time period?

(1) Any guesstimate based on 2010 as to the likelihood of a rainy versus a clear day?

(2) I understand that I will be able to use at least one hop-on hop-off boat service and can obtain direct transport to the Vasa museum. One is Stromma, the other is Rederi Malaren. The only difference I can see is the second has a graduated "# stops" payment system that I can't understand. Can you? The Stromma organization has a substantial promotional campaign and also does the canal tours in Copenhagen. Their current response to me is at least unusual in that they push a 24-hour pass (we are there for realistically 6 hours) and say that you can only buy it in their offices (not on the boat, not near the boat)! If we make it to their offices, we waste time and why would we then need their services? Also, the Malaren operation doesn't seem to want to provide an email address, so the group of us can't ask them these sort of questions.

(3) Would really like to visit Millesgarden rather than Skansen (as well as a couple of hours in Gamla Stan). Should I assume that if I don't form a group and lease a boat, this isn't reasonable in 6 hours and I should just be happy with boat transport, Vasa, and Gamla Stan? On the other hand, the daily charge is about 12 euro (not bad). Any other options when using the boat service for transport?

(4) Can I get by with a Capital One Visa card (museum, boat pass, food in a restaurant) and not deal with local currency? In a pinch, will restaurants take euros?

Much thanks,

DJ:)

Per advice from another CCer, we decided to get the Stockholm Card because Emerald Princess docks at S167 Stadsgardsleden and is only in port for 7 hours. The Stromma HOHO ferry docks adjacent to that pier but you can't buy the card onboard. Ordered through the visitstockholm.com website, and took about a week to get to the US. Cost with shipping was 925 SEK for two. The HOHO boat costs 100 SEK and 150 for the Royal Canal tour. The card covers these, public transportation, and places like Skansen (100), Vasa (110) and Millesgarden (95) and the Gamla Stan museums. There are other online sites you can get the card, but they give you a voucher and you have to take it to the Tourist Bureau (north of Gamla Stan) and stand in line to get the card.

Archived