during port, do you stay in the pool

We are going to our first family cruise in less than 3 weeks. My husband said lets just stay on the ship while we port in FL. We just got back from Disney so he said we should just enjoy the ship and the pool and relax. Have anyone done this and worked out for their family. Will the pool be crowded too or more relaxing?

Thanks

Port Canaveral has great beaches you could take a cab to and have a nice beach day, no need to go to Disney...but that would be a lot of work! You will find that if you stay on the ship in any port you will have lots of space and a nice relaxing day. Especially since Disney is only an hour away, I would assume the ship would be practically deserted in the children department!

We love port days on-board the ship. If it's a port we've been to before, we will get off the ship for a little bit, get back on and head to the pool deck for quiet, quality time. It's lovely. As the day wears on, you will see activity at the pool increase as people come back on board.

Port Canaveral has great beaches you could take a cab to and have a nice beach day, no need to go to Disney...but that would be a lot of work! You will find that if you stay on the ship in any port you will have lots of space and a nice relaxing day. Especially since Disney is only an hour away, I would assume the ship would be practically deserted in the children department!

We love port days on-board the ship. If it's a port we've been to before, we will get off the ship for a little bit, get back on and head to the pool deck for quiet, quality time. It's lovely. As the day wears on, you will see activity at the pool increase as people come back on board.

Thanks, we have to been to all the ports except for the the private Island. We usually fly to FL and been to most of the places. And my husband and I have been to Atlantis 10x and plan to take our son to vacation to Atlantis next year (we might go to Blue Lagoon since we never been there). I think my husband really wants to rest in FL and next leave the ship...I on the other hands want to make sure we get the most out of our time.

Thanks for your response.

We love the ship on port days!! At some ports, we never leave the ship or we may walk off briefly and then return early to enjoy all the ship's amenities -- a relatively empty pool, uncrowded restaurants, etc. It's a great option! Usually there will be special pricing at the spa, as well, during port days.

We love the ship on port days!! At some ports, we never leave the ship or we may walk off briefly and then return early to enjoy all the ship's amenities -- a relatively empty pool, uncrowded restaurants, etc. It's a great option! Usually there will be special pricing at the spa, as well, during port days.

Thanks for sharing, I'm excited for a special price at the Spa (while hubby and son are in the pool).

When the ship is full of kids, like winter break, spring break and summer, we always plan a port day on the ship. Our two kids are younger (almost 3 and 5) and waiting in the long lines for the water slides is hard on them (can ride on all ships except Epic, then only my 4 year old can) or if there are too many people in the pools they start getting uneasy. They stick to the toddler areas the other days, but always want to spend some time in the 'big kid' area and staying aboard on port days gives us and them a few hours in these areas for them to enjoy it. It is great! After doing this once in a port we have been to countless times, it has become a staple in our cruising.

Side note- to those that see my son's age and are bothered by him in the big pool- he has NOT worn a diaper for over a year. I would never put a child with a swim diaper in a public pool- only our private ones:P

We are going to our first family cruise in less than 3 weeks. My husband said lets just stay on the ship while we port in FL. We just got back from Disney so he said we should just enjoy the ship and the pool and relax. Have anyone done this and worked out for their family. Will the pool be crowded too or more relaxing?

Thanks

We tend to stay on the ship all the time....on port days, most folks get off, so you may find an "empty ship" for you and your family to enjoy.

When the ship is full of kids, like winter break, spring break and summer, we always plan a port day on the ship. Our two kids are younger (almost 3 and 5) and waiting in the long lines for the water slides is hard on them (can ride on all ships except Epic, then only my 4 year old can) or if there are too many people in the pools they start getting uneasy. They stick to the toddler areas the other days, but always want to spend some time in the 'big kid' area and staying aboard on port days gives us and them a few hours in these areas for them to enjoy it. It is great! After doing this once in a port we have been to countless times, it has become a staple in our cruising.

Side note- to those that see my son's age and are bothered by him in the big pool- he has NOT worn a diaper for over a year. I would never put a child with a swim diaper in a public pool- only our private ones:P

Thanks, my son doesn't like going to a pool when its too crowded. I was hoping that the pool during port day would be empty so he can enjoy. My son stopped wearing diapers when he was 2 so don't worry about what people think...when we used to go to the pool they asked for wear his swimmies are and I told them he is toilet train.

Thanks

Some people take cruises mainly to enjoy the ship. I like ports and would never not go into a port. If the ports were not worth going into, I wouldn't go on the cruise. Different strokes.

Archived