I go Costa because.......

Whitby Lass

We don't do Costa anymore.Our last Costa cruise was the worst cruise we have been on.Thankfully we have just about got over it....... I think......This is an honest opinion...............We will never do another Costa cruise:mad::mad::mad: ....We have also cruised with Princess,Carnival and Royal Caribbean:):):) ....We got a £300 Refund after our TA looked into our complaints regarding THAT Costa cruise.Note this was the TA that gave us the refund not Costa.We did not get any response from Costa.We are Very happy to discuss it with you if you read this Costa Cruises.But I am sure you will contact me. Two very very unhappy Costa Cruisers

Hello my husband and I are Celebrity loyalist. We have however sailed Carnival, Holland America, Princess and Royal Caribbean. We are thinking of Costa for a TA cruise in December. The itinerary is to die for. Can I ask what spoiled your cruise?

thank you

Claudette

• 4 weeks later...

My family goes Costa because:

• amazing food! pastas, cheeses, meats -- all top notch and delicious

• international passengers -- nothing like meeting people from all over the world!

• the goofiest entertainment I've ever seen -- deck games, toga night, group dances make my family laugh so hard!
  • wonderful service
  • kids sail free!
  • beautiful ships

My family loves Costa and is disappointed that we couldn't "go Costa" this year, but the 10-day cruise they are offering just didn't work with our schedule. :(

I loved the Costa Cruise we went on in 2007, and thats why I booked to go back for two cruises this year.

The food is great, the staff incredible and the ship was great.

I just wonder if I am cursed last time I lot my bag ( no fault of Costa).

This time they completly changed my first cruise, but now I have had the weekend to get over my dissapointment and have a good look at where we are now going I am still looking forward to my holiday and Costa.

Hopefully my curse is now broke.

Fed up with all the negative comments on this page about Costa.

I go Costa because they offer the best itineraries and unbeatable prices.

Why do you go Costa?

Gay;)

Did Costa (for first time) in Jan -Feb, 2010.

Booked eastern Med from Civitavecchia because of great itinerary.

However, after reading all the negative comments on CC, I was ready to cancel. But thankfully, I didn't.

Food, shows, on-board activities, and ports were all great! Would definitely sail Costa again :D.

Did Costa (for first time) in Jan -Feb' date=' 2010.

Booked eastern Med from Civitavecchia because of great itinerary.

However, after reading all the negative comments on CC, I was ready to cancel. But thankfully, I didn't.

Food, shows, on-board activities, and ports were all great! Would definitely sail Costa again :D.[/quote']

Glad you were able to rise above the narrow minded and negative comments and took a chance. Your courage was rightly rewarded.

Really pleased that you had a good holiday.

I also just returned on Concordia, and unlike spandance I really enjoyed it.I believe we met onboard. We were four friends in two staterooms. We liked the "fun" element on Italian night but also enjoyed the peace in the Vienna bar with the classical music. We appreciated the wine package and chilled glasses and canapes in the piano bar. We thought there was something for everyone. It appears to be quite important to choose a cruise line for what you want out of it, but of course you don't know until you try. I know that my husband would not have enjoyed the Italian antics. We four friends loved it and I would certainly go again but would not take my husband. I know his style.

Yes we did meet on board and thought that you would read my review.I'm glad that you liked it. I'm sure having 3 other friends with you made a big difference to your fun. We didn't get to the Vienna Bar, sounds nice. I thought every night was Italian night though ha ha! Hopefully I shall get back to enjoying cruisig on Epic in September.:)

Thanks to all that have posted, we have been looking at Costa for a while, there have been some cruises that caught my eye, but we have status with Carnival, Princess and HAL so they always seemed to win out.

Anyways, with the recent changes in smoking policy we are looking at new lines to sail.

So a quick question, does Costa allow smoking on balconies / cabins ?

BTW, from reading, it seems the main complaint is that the line is to European for some, does that about some it up ? I know, easy question to answer huh, oh well, lots of reading to do.

Costa unfortunatly to me,allow smoking in cabins, and balconies, also one side of the pool area and Buffet, and in the bars on one side. No smoking in the theatre and dining rooms. They also have lighted candles on the dining tables which freaked me out ,as fire is the biggest hazrad at sea! For me its the poorest cruiseline that I have ever been on. Hope this helps.:)

Thanks to all that have posted, we have been looking at Costa for a while, there have been some cruises that caught my eye, but we have status with Carnival, Princess and HAL so they always seemed to win out.

Anyways, with the recent changes in smoking policy we are looking at new lines to sail.

So a quick question, does Costa allow smoking on balconies / cabins ?

BTW, from reading, it seems the main complaint is that the line is to European for some, does that about some it up ? I know, easy question to answer huh, oh well, lots of reading to do.

Costa does allow smoking in the cabins / balconies.

Costa is an Italian / European cruise line and a lot of people forget that, they just look at the bottom line.

Here is alink to a previous message that I posted some time ago on this subject:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=25871539&highlight=american+bubble#post25871539

Ron

Costa does allow smoking in the cabins / balconies.

Costa is an Italian / European cruise line and a lot of people forget that, they just look at the bottom line.

Here is alink to a previous message that I posted some time ago on this subject:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=25871539&highlight=american+bubble#post25871539

Ron

Hi Ron! This thread is very interesting. We have almost 200 days with Holland America, but would like to try another line. The 2012 Atlantica Western Caribbean itinerary looks really ideal, with ports we have never visited (except Grand Turk.) I read your past cc comments. We lived in Alsenborn, Germany for 3 years, and savored every moment. We sailed the Greek Isles on Royal Olympic and loved the international clientel.

I must say, some of the posts have been scary....but then there are a lot of complainers on the HAL boards, too. I hope we will be pleased if we choose Costa. Many in this thread have been positive. Thanks!

Karen

Karen, I am sure that you'll enjoy the European side of Costa since you have experienced European cruising on an European cruise line before. This is what alot of people do not get along with too well if they try Costa after several cruises on US type lines. Costa maybe owned by Carnival but they have kept a very tight hold onto thier heritage & roots...and most importantly, their traditions...after 70+ years in the business and headquarters in Italy, you have to expect things to be a little more cosmopilitan.

Personally I try not to compare them with MSC, although MSC Cruises are based in Genoa (the same as Costa, despite Costa's homeport being Savona), MSC are more well known as containership & freighter owners, and they are anglo Swiss/Italian, they only moved into cruises in the 1960's as the Lauro Line, which then changed to StarLauro before taking the parent's name Mediterranean Shipping Company in 1995 after the sinking of Achille Lauro. During the 1970's, 80's & early 90's they had alot of problems to contend with...not least going from two ships...Angelina Lauro & Achille Lauro...to one after Angelina was lost in a fire in 1979, then the hijacking of Achille Lauro in 1985 and then 10 years later they lost Achille Lauro altogether in a fire that sank her.

Its only in the last 10 years or so that MSC have effectively caught up with the likes of Costa, and despite the bulk of their ships being very young, so too are they as a company compared to Costa. MSC are still relative babies in the game and are still learning...Costa is close to the top of their game, if they were not so, they wouldn't constantly get the awards that they get each year, but by the same token, they too are always learning new things and methods.

So as much as both MSC and Costa come from Italy, I personally think that its a little unfair on both lines to compare them like for like as both companies are very different in regard to history, experience (both for the passenger & the company itself) and how the 'product' is delivered/marketed.

As for the ship experience on Costa, and value for money, well I have yet to beat either. I love the traditional ambiance on board, the formality...and even compared to HAL who are renowned for their formality...they really do try hard to keep a hold of that ocean liner heyday that was so common amongst the European lines in the days of the great transatlantic crossings. So far, I have found that formal nights are extremely good in regard to dresscode adherence, average of 80-90% of pax do put in the effort...and that on my own cruise experiences in the Med, Far East, Middle East & South America with Costa. Some people are not happy with the buffet not being fully open of an evening...well if you chat to the crew like I did...and they were very candid about it, they have found that the majority of pax preferred the MDR, so why open the full buffet and present food there if its not going to be eaten? The buffet and pizza restaurants are available, but for the most part you will see people go to the MDR and even on casual night, alot of people will look like they have just walked off a Vogue photoshoot.

It was funny, on my cruise this year, the maitre d' would visit each and every table every night and welcome pax personally by name and chat about the day and if there was anything he could do etc...a couple of other first time pax asked me if that was normal or if they had been singled out for special treatment...its normal, this is what you get on a traditionally run ship, you get the personal touches, the personal attention...and its not forced or by script, the crew genuinely want to help, they genuinely want to welcome you into what is their home and they treat you as a houseguest, not as a pax. I think that is also what puts some pax on edge cos they are not used to it. I had some wonderful chats with the maitre d', it was like talking to an old friend, very relaxed and he was extremely candid, not at all towing the company line.

I had to alter one cruise for next year, ordinarily it would be a song and dance with another line, but not with Costa. I chopped the first half off the B2B and kept the second half...with flights as a solo for 19 days...£1600...so I then booked a 9 day Christmas cruise for next year, again with flights as a solo...£880 :) Just one £20 penalty to pay and even that was swallowed up by a discount they gave me...win/win in my book.

I know others have had problems with customer services both on the ships and from communicating with HQ, but that has not been the case with me. But then I have had similar problems with other cruise lines and probably every service industry, it goes with the territory that you may come across a problem, but Costa is no worse than any other company that has day to day contact with the public...they look worse due to sites like these, cos on the whole, bad experiences make the headlines...which can be said for everything in life.

Go with Costa, open your mind to new experiences, leave your comfort zone at home and just enjoy the cruise....that is all anyone has to do :)

Ally, here are a couple corrections and add-on's to your mention of MSC facts:

First of all, while the Mediterranean Shipping Company was founded in 1970, it didn't get into the cruise business until 1994 when founder and owner Gianluigi Aponte bought the old Monterey from the defunct Starlauro line. After the Monterey he acquired the Rhapsody, Symphony, and Melody with the latter being the only one of the original four still in service. The MSC cruise division is headed up by Aponte's son-in-law, Pierfrancesco Vago and is headquartered in Naples, not Genoa. MSC corporate headquarters is in Geneva because the Sorrento-born Aponte married a Swiss wife and raised his family there. The MSC cargo division is based in Geneva as well and has well over 400 container vessels making it the second largest cargo line in the world after the Danish Maask line. Other than the acquisition of the Monterey, I don't think Aponte and MSC had anything to do with Lauro and his ships - maybe I'm wrong in this regard but MSC had its early beginings in nearby Sorrento and Aponte is almost a household word in the Bay of Naples because he owns most of the hydrofoil companies such as SNAV and NGL. Of course old Achille Lauro was also from Sorrento.

Ally, I just did a little research and it seems that Aponte DID acquire Starlauro in 1990, first with the Monterey, and then adding the Rhapsody and Symphony. He operated the little cruise fleet for four years as Starlauro. In 1995 their livery was changed to MSC and the MSC cruise division was founded. In June 1994 my wife and I sailed on the Monterey and it and the crew were definitely Starlauro. I remember in 1995 receiving in the mail a letter from MSC announcing the change from Starlauro to MSC and enclosing a membership card for a new loyalty programme that today is called the MSC Club.

In any case the Angelina Lauro and Achille Lauro were owned by Lauro Lines and predated MSC Cruises (MSC Crociere S.p.A.).

Hi Ron! This thread is very interesting. We have almost 200 days with Holland America, but would like to try another line. The 2012 Atlantica Western Caribbean itinerary looks really ideal, with ports we have never visited (except Grand Turk.) I read your past cc comments. We lived in Alsenborn, Germany for 3 years, and savored every moment. We sailed the Greek Isles on Royal Olympic and loved the international clientel.

I must say, some of the posts have been scary....but then there are a lot of complainers on the HAL boards, too. I hope we will be pleased if we choose Costa. Many in this thread have been positive. Thanks!

Karen

Karen,

This Costa board is just like any other CC board, all contain the good, the bad and the ugly.:D

If you do decide to go with Costa, just go with an open mond without any preconceived ideas and I'm sure you will enjoy it.

After all a cruise is a cruise and what you make of it.

If you have any questions - just ask.

Ron

Thank you, Ally and Ron, for your input regarding Costa! Everyone has an opinion, but I prefer the positive ones. They will help me decide if we should give Costa a try. When we were in Grand Turk in January, a Costa Ship was docked next to our Holland America Maasdam. It may have been the Atlantica. The ship was beautiful and the passengers all looked very happy!

Karen

• 2 months later...
We don't go Costa because they are awful.......................

Ah the prodical cruiser has returned!

Grumpy reminds me of the old LP records where the needle would get stuck and the same part of the song would be repeat over and over again until you pulled the plug.

Ron

PS Just pulled the plug.

Archived