Passports for Toddlers

tommyjean

We are sailing to Alaska in September and I'm hoping someone can provide clarification on passports. The government travel website seems to indicate a certified birth certificate will suffice but my travel agent is saying that my 3 year old twins will need passports. We are sailing out of and returning to Seattle. Has anyone cruised with only birth certificates?

US Citizens, sailing in/out of the same US port, under 16, only need a certified birth certificate from their state of births dept of vital statistics. Passports are NOT required.

absolutely correct! And, its not like there's a concern that you could end up on some foreign soil, you're going to alaska. I definitely would not worry about a passport.

A round trip from Seattle visiting Alaska is about the safest situation possible when using Certified Birth certificates. All but one port is in the US, so flying back in case of a (rare) emergency is most likely going to be a domestic flight. And on the (really rare) chance that someone is ill or injured during the 5 or 6 hours in Victoria, you either are well enough to wait overnight until you arrive back in Seattle, or you are ill enough that you have to be admitted to a Canadian hospital for treatment. If you are admitted to a hospital, you are probably not flying home within a couple of days, regardless of whether that hospital is in the US or Canada. If it is in Canada, you can get your passport issued while you are waiting for medical permission to fly.

The rules have not changed in two years, see http://www.getyouhome.gov

absolutely correct! And, its not like there's a concern that you could end up on some foreign soil, you're going to alaska. I definitely would not worry about a passport.

While passports are not required for this itinerary, there is always a concern that they could end up on some foreign soil. The Alaska itinerary must include at least one foreign port stop. If something happened when they were at that port (Victoria apparently), say they missed the ship or had a medical emergency, and they needed to fly to the next port or home, all of them would be required to have passports to fly from Canada to the US--no exceptions. True, the chances are quite small, but they are not non-existent. In addition, there are certain Alaska excursions that enter Canada at some point. I have heard, but do not know with 100% certainty, that passports are required for some of them.

I wouldn't "worry" about having a passport and it is not required, but it would be a consideration.

beachchick

Thanks so much for all the input! I think they'll be fine without one - we are in Victoria at night for 5 hours (give or take). I'd rather not spend $200 on passports if they don't have to have them. Obviously I wouldn't hesitate if this was a Mexican or Caribbean cruise. Thanks again!! So excited!

Archived