LIVE FROM Oceana with video and photographs

Jo and Rob

Hi Jo

Thanks for your excellent report.

Its most unusual that you didnt have an actual person at the port talk.

Brians tip - if you miss the port talk, it is repeated on one of the cabin TV channels on a continuous loop

Brian

Hi Guys

Really enjoying your posts. We have booked to go on the 9th July:D cruise E118. Not cruised with P & O before. My wife Marina, has MS and is in a wheelchaire most of the time. Any tips on wheelchair friendly areas would be very helpful. Keep up the good work.

Best wishes

Barrie:);)

Hi Guys

Really enjoying your posts. We have booked to go on the 9th July:D cruise E118. Not cruised with P & O before. My wife Marina, has MS and is in a wheelchaire most of the time. Any tips on wheelchair friendly areas would be very helpful. Keep up the good work.

Best wishes

Barrie:);)

We chatted to a wheelchair user today and he wasn't able to get off at Le Havre as the tide was too high for deck 7. The gangway was open earlier on deck 5 however and he would have been fine then. I suggest you let them know your needs to they can tell you if there are any restrictions. The guy we spoke to wasn't in a disabled cabin so it is possible they didn't know about him before the gangway was closed on the lower deck. Perhaps if they had known they may have left deck 5 open and closed deck 7? They were told to go back and try later but gave up. I'be just had lunch outside in the sun in La Rochelle. Bliss!!

Monday 11th April at Sea

We had a lovely meal in the Ligurian restaurant last night. For starters we had duck rillettes and devilled whitebait, then both had broccoli soup topped with toasted almonds, followed by sirloin steak with a peppercorn butter and a roasted gammon dish with a sauce (they forgot to serve mine without the peas pudding despite my request on ordering though), we both had chocolate brownies and ice-cream followed by cheese and biscuits to finish.

Jo's tip 14 - On the first night head for one of the speciality restaurants as they offer special deals. Our table mates did that and got 3 courses for the price of two at Marco Pierre White's Cafe Jardin.

The same people had a cabin above the Footlights theatre and on the first night, all they could hear was the boom boom boom of Oklahoma from below. They said the show sounded very good and they could sing along to every word but that was not what they wanted so late at night.

Jo's tip 15 - If you are not happy let Guest Services know (deck 5 in the Atrium). Our table mates did just that and were able to change cabins because of the noise. We also went to Guest Services to tell them about the shuttle bus fiasco yesterday and they said they were aware there was a problem and offered a complementary bottle of wine with our meal tonight. Now that is what I call customer service and satisfaction!

Ignore my top tip about room service, the standing order didn't work despite the fact it was the room service person who suggested it. Nothing arrived so I phoned. Then the chap came back for us to fill in the sheet (obviously lost the old one) and got some of the order wrong.

As today is Monday my favourite dish egg Benedict was the special on the menu. I suggest you order two eggs (I did) as one would have been a bit small on its own.

The children then went off to club, Emily announced she wanted to spend the whole day there but I pointed out that she would have to come out for lunch! Oliver loved the game of football in the funnel with Peter the "football guy" (how lucky was I packing his kit I had no idea they did football sessions!) and Emily meanwhile was doing Twinkling Treasure in club.

Jo's tip 16 - Pack a football kit for your children if they have one (don't panic if they don't) I only packed it as a back up fancy dress outfit. Phew!

I headed off to the Bilbao talk which was a little impersonal to say the least. Unlike on Costa there was no introduction or person talking to you, the lights just went down suddenly and someone (somewhere) read out a script (although it could have been a recording) about the trips with some photographs. I just felt that someone on stage saying "Hello everyone, welcome to our port talk about Bilbao…" etc would have been much more professional. After a two minutes on the place it was onto the excursions so I decided to leave as there were several things on that I also wanted to do at the same time.

After a trip to the spa for a taster massage as advertised in Horizon (5 mins rather than 20 mins on embarkation day but hey it was free so I'm still happy!) I headed back to footlights to see if the Bilbao talk now had a human being. Alas no, more of the same so instead I went to the Yacht and Compass for a game of Scattergories. This was a great decision and such a laugh. The member of staff running it was really funny and everyone was enjoying themselves playing the game.

Jo's tip 16 - If you don't like an activity, leave and try something else as there is enough going on to suit and entertain everyone no matter what your interest may be.

From there we headed to the Starlights theatre for a lesson on how to waltz. I was amazed Rob agreed to go and we nearly lasted the whole hour although we admit that box turns were pretty tricky as they normally ended in a collision! Good fun and now I know how to waltz!

After lunch we had a great game of Shuffleboard and Oliver beat me despite being down minus 6 to my 20 at one stage. The shuffleboard is located on deck 7 port side and well worth a try. The equipment is always available so just help yourself. Watch out for joggers and walkers though as it is the promenade deck.

I then attended the spa raffle but no winning ticket but they gave loads of treatments away.

Jo's tip 17 - Make sure you attend the spa raffle as it is free and you could win a complementary treatment (about 10 people did!)

Today instead of afternoon tea there was "chocoholics" in the restaurant. People started queuing at 3pm although it didn't start until 3.30pm so needless to say quite a large queue formed very quickly. Chocoholics looked good but wasn't really for us. There were loads and loads and loads of chocolate cakes, chocolates pastries, as well as chocolate mousse, a chocolate fondue etc.

Jo's tip 18 - If you love chocolate look out for the "chocoholic" event on one of the sea days. (I had never heard of it on cruise critic before). Take your camera!

Captain's party.

As freedom diners we were invited to the 8,15pm party to dine afterwards. With Oliver and Emily that would have been too late so we went along to the 6pm one instead and there was absolutely no problem. Complementary wine and gin and tonics are given out as you arrive at the atrium. The drinks waiters were very attentive and kept offering to get the children orange juice and were happy when we requested water for the children instead.

Jo's tip 19 - Head for deck 5 rather than the other decks in the Atrium as this is where most photographers are and we were surprised how it didn't seem too crowded.

We arrived about 6.10pm and I didn't look at he time but guess it was about 6.30pm when the captain spoke. He stand between the glass lifts on deck 6 if you want to position yourself to see him (which is visible from all parts of the Atrium) although I chose to keep my place in the queue for photos which was behind the sweeping stairs but that was my choice.

No photographs are taken while the captain is speaking but we didn't have to wait long so fingers crossed we can get a nice picture of the whole family. There was a moving queue for the restaurant which moved very quickly (we were at the end of it as we left it for more photos on the stairs and then joined the back again) but there was no problem with seating or pagers tonight. We were lucky enough to get a table for four by the window (the maitre D greets us like old friends which we love - I think he remembers our smiles from the first night amongst the many grumpy faces!) At first he apologised for not having a table for four (we didn't expect one) and as we were heading off for our table for six another one must have come available as a second waiter came dashing through the restaurant to relocate us. Now that is what I call service!!

Jo's tip 20 - Follow the formal dress code. The gentleman in front of us in the queue had a smart purple shirt, waist coat and tie. The maitre D quietly (but I have good ears!) explained that all men had to wear jackets on formal night in the restaurant and that he could not come in. The chap said he had a sports jacket in the cabin so his wife was seated while he dashed back to get it.

Everyone looked wonderful including all the staff. The food was magnificent tonight and savoured by all four of us. We had oak smoked Scottish salmon / game terrine with a quince jelly tartlet to start, followed by wild mushroom soup with a white wine veloute (which the children both loved as did I) / consomme of chicken, beef and vegetable, then Rob and I had Maine lobster Newburg with a sabayon cheese gratin and marquise potatoes, Oliver had sirloin steak and Emily chose the minute steak off the kids menu (apart from this course for Emily the children ordered from the main menu all night but the kids menu had everything from fish fingers to pasta so little ones will be fine if they don't like adult food. For dessert Rob had champagne sorbet, I had the pear tarte tatin with vanilla pod ice-cream and the children had ice-cream. We all finished the meal with cheese and biscuits by which time the next wave of people were sitting down and onto their main courses. The meal was relaxed and unrushed, in fact the waiters said take your time, and we just loved the whole occasion.

Is Cafe Jardin a different format to The White Room on Ventura? The White Room is a restaurant where you pay a surcharge to eat there - £20 per head on our cruise. From what you are saying in Cafe Jardin you have to pay per course? Would be interested to find out.

Hi

Loving your posts. Just about to book Oceana for 2012. Any chance you could photograph the corridor with inside cabins. They look like the corner of cabin has been cut off and the door is there. Any recommendations from anyone for inside cabins?

Would you mind observing whether a smart shirt and trousers for the semi formal nights is acceptable. My husband does not mind dressing for formal nights but hates wearing a shirt and tie for other nights. He does not have a sports jacket or blazer so it would mean he has to take a suit. On RCCL he usually wears a smart shirt and trousers on the other nights.

Is she showing wear and tear? My husband was concerned about this as she was built in 2000.

Can't wait for the next post.

JM 1972

Oceana does not have semi formal on some cruises. Cruises E201-E204 and E225-E304 have formal, semi formal and smart casual, normally 2 formal, 2 semi formal and 3 smart casual per week.

Cruises E205-E224 have just formal and smart casual, normally 2 formal and 5 smart casual per week.

Semi formal involves men wearing a jacket.

See page 25 of 2012/13 brochure

Brian

Hi

Loving your posts. Just about to book Oceana for 2012. Any chance you could photograph the corridor with inside cabins. They look like the corner of cabin has been cut off and the door is there. Any recommendations from anyone for inside cabins?

Would you mind observing whether a smart shirt and trousers for the semi formal nights is acceptable. My husband does not mind dressing for formal nights but hates wearing a shirt and tie for other nights. He does not have a sports jacket or blazer so it would mean he has to take a suit. On RCCL he usually wears a smart shirt and trousers on the other nights.

Is she showing wear and tear? My husband was concerned about this as she was built in 2000.

Can't wait for the next post.

I was on Oceana on Saturday for a quick tour.... No signs of wear and tear. The inside rooms are ok, very similar to outside ones. I had an inside cabin a couple of years ago, I really missed the day light and not knowing if it was day or night when I woke up. They are ok, but I would not book and inside cabin again.

I have to agree, I love these posts. Brilliant.

I was on Oceana on Saturday for a quick tour.... No signs of wear and tear. The inside rooms are ok, very similar to outside ones. I had an inside cabin a couple of years ago, I really missed the day light and not knowing if it was day or night when I woke up. They are ok, but I would not book an inside cabin again.

Thanks, unfortunately for our family of 4 we would prefer two cabins so it means this time going for insides. Long time since we have had insides so hopefully it won't be too bad. I cannot justify the extra cost for the outsides. The extra bathroom is a bonus! Glad to read she is wearing well.

I can't wait for an update tomorrow!

We chatted to a wheelchair user today and he wasn't able to get off at Le Havre as the tide was too high for deck 7. The gangway was open earlier on deck 5 however and he would have been fine then. I suggest you let them know your needs to they can tell you if there are any restrictions. The guy we spoke to wasn't in a disabled cabin so it is possible they didn't know about him before the gangway was closed on the lower deck. Perhaps if they had known they may have left deck 5 open and closed deck 7? They were told to go back and try later but gave up. I'be just had lunch outside in the sun in La Rochelle. Bliss!!

Thanks Jo and Rob for the advice on the disability problem. Marina can walk a bit so not confined to the wheelchair. Obviously you smuggled the secretary on board but we won't shop you! Many thanks for the post, you make a lot of people happy.

All the best

Barrie

Is Cafe Jardin a different format to The White Room on Ventura? The White Room is a restaurant where you pay a surcharge to eat there - £20 per head on our cruise. From what you are saying in Cafe Jardin you have to pay per course? Would be interested to find out.

Cafe Jardin is a open restaurant with tables around the atrium,it is not quite as formal as The White Room, but you are ofcourse waiter-served and there is a supplement, which is not as much as White Room/Arcadian Rhodes/Seventeen.

p8290007d.jpg

p9020211.jpg

Pork belly with crackling straws , in a butter bean jus - Cafe Jardin Evening Main meal

The Cafe Jardin serves a alternative breakfast menu as well, and is usually quieter than the buffet or main restaurant, it doesn't serve 'english breakfasts' but alternatives like kippers, sausage croissants etc.

Light Lunches are nice here on a sea day too, menu outside restaurant and is free with no extra supplement, On the day this photo was taken we had salad of the salad bar, and home-made fishcakes.

ooh, and a nice sweet;

p8300025i.jpg

Cafe Jardin is a open restaurant with tables around the atrium,it is not quite as formal as The White Room, but you are ofcourse waiter-served and there is a supplement, which is not as much as White Room/Arcadian Rhodes/Seventeen.

p8290007d.jpg

p9020211.jpg

Pork belly with crackling straws , in a butter bean jus - Cafe Jardin Evening Main meal

The Cafe Jardin serves a alternative breakfast menu as well, and is usually quieter than the buffet or main restaurant, it doesn't serve 'english breakfasts' but alternatives like kippers, sausage croissants etc.

Light Lunches are nice here on a sea day too, menu outside restaurant and is free with no extra supplement, On the day this photo was taken we had salad of the salad bar, and home-made fishcakes.

ooh, and a nice sweet;

p8300025i.jpg

Sounds similar to pizza restaurant around the upper atrium on Sea and Dawn Princess ships. That was free both lunchtime and at dinner but with a more extensive evening menu. Still don't see how they could get three courses for the price of two at Cafe Jardin if it is a restaurant that charges a supplement - perhaps the supplement is less if you only have two courses than if you had three. Whatever, the food looks good:D

Sounds similar to pizza restaurant around the upper atrium on Sea and Dawn Princess ships. That was free both lunchtime and at dinner but with a more extensive evening menu. Still don't see how they could get three courses for the price of two at Cafe Jardin if it is a restaurant that charges a supplement - perhaps the supplement is less if you only have two courses than if you had three. Whatever, the food looks good:D

Mmmmmm looks yummy. I think I need to start on the slimfast in prep for my holiday :eek:

Mmmmmm looks yummy. I think I need to start on the slimfast in prep for my holiday :eek:

La Rochelle - France

Here is a video of our outside cabin

The overnight crossing was so smooth we haven't experienced any rough water (yet!) and again everyone slept well. I woke up and rang for room service at 6am and it was proper coffee this morning so ringing for us is better than having to wait until 7-7.30am for the pre-order.

We decided to go to Cafe Jardin for breakfast (no cover charge) and I had egg benedict (ask for 2 like in MDR). This time it was with smoked salmon not ham and had a generous amount of hollandaise sauce, delicious.

1250519238_sH3SJ-XL.jpg

The children had the sausage and leek baguette and Rob had the cheese and ham warm croissant. In addition to that there were cold meats, cheese, pastries and fresh fruit (pineapple, kiwi, honeydew and water melon) I also had a banana and coffee smoothie which was really tasty.

Jo's tip 21 - Take a day bag for coats / fleeces and wear layers. The wind was icy first thing and the children were glad of their coats and wondering why they hadn't dressed for the arctic but later in the day it got really hot.

We caught the shuttle bus (free) into La Rochelle which took a good 20 minutes and again we were very appreciative of the service. It dropped us off at the Tourist office and this time the driver knew where he was going. The buses were running every 20 minutes and we saw them going past throughout the day which was very reassuring. Here is a panoramic picture that Rob has put together which several photos side by side.

1250519193_ThvGU-XL.jpg

We stopped at a cafe which had a free wi-fi hot spot but unfortunately although we were able to post my report the video upload failed despite three attempts. The detailed room tour of our outside cabin is a bit longer than our usual 60 seconds so that may be why it failed yesterday. We have just managed to upload it to youtube in Bilbao hence the link above!

La Rochelle is a lovely place and there is no need to pay for an organised tour as it is not really big enough to get lost and the land marks a big enough for all to see as you are making your way back to the shuttle. The cafes are expensive though a coke cost 3.30 euros!!

The indoor market at La Rochelle is highly recommended. The children loved the live crayfish (langoustine), the crabs and lobsters in the tanks and the size of some of the fish. The poultry was also really interesting as they leave the heads on the chickens, ducks, pheasants and quail which the children loved (surprisingly).

We wanted to have lunch but some of the prices were a complete rip off so we kept looking and found a brasserie with a great view of the towers and were able to sit outside and lap up the sunshine. I had fish soup with the toast, rouille and cheese (a favourite of mine in France), Rob had steak and chips, Emily had the children's menu and Oliver had a sugar crepe. Again the restaurant had free wifi but the cabin tour video failed again. The bill came to 28 euros (much more like it!).

We caught the shuttle back and it was really full so we were all standing all the way. I think it would be better to not fill them quite so full unless it is the end of the day for everyone's safety and comfort.

Jo's tip 22 - Don't forget your passports. The port authority boarded our shuttle and wanted to see everyone's cruise card and passport. Some people hadn't got theirs and were really worried as the officials approached. The port authority had a list of passengers which they checked if you didn't have your passport and fortunately didn't make too much of a fuss this time.

Jo's tip 23 - Take a picture of your passport on your phone as welk as leaving a photocopy of your passport in your safe. Those who didn't have their passport were worrying about pickpockets but this would overcome any concerns.

We went to afternoon tea when we got back. Rob had Earl Grey and I had normal. The scones and teacakes kept coming round and Rob lapped it up as he missed it before.

Thanks Jo and Rob for the advice on the disability problem. Marina can walk a bit so not confined to the wheelchair. Obviously you smuggled the secretary on board but we won't shop you! Many thanks for the post, you make a lot of people happy.

All the best

Barrie

Hello from sunny Bilbao. We have excellent free wifi at the cafe outside the Guggenheim museum next to the park so have decided to try and make the most of it and post info about today straight away! The drinks and food are very reasonable and the children absolutely love the park.

I've just had another chat with the same couple at this cafe (about wheelchair use and this cruise). They said that if you are able to hop out of your wheelchair it makes things a lot easier. Bilbao is listed in Horizon as having a shuttle bus that is not suitable for wheelchair users. However, they are here in Bilbao and did manage to take the shuttle as he could hop out. If did say however that if you couldn't have got out and it would have been impossible.

He said that his travel info said some ports would be difficult but it didn't mention which ones which was frustrating.

Jo's tip 24 - If you fancy a hot breakfast item at Cafe Jardin, eat there straight away as the menu changes. We headed back this morning only to find that the sausage and leek baguette and the egg benedict were no longer on the menu. The menu changes every three days..ish, depending on the length of the cruise.

We wanted to get moving so we decided to check out the Plaza breakfast buffet instead. The choice was good and the food was hot.

The shuttle bus into Bilbao took about 30 minutes (still really appreciating the fact that it is free) We were provided with another map at the port which is much better than the map provided by P&O. For some reason, they always give you a map full of numbers but no reference as to what the numbers are! This could be particularly confusing as the Horizon says the shuttle pick up is number 3 but that has nothing to do with the map!!! Instead it is referring to the bus stop. Let's hope no one gets them muddled.

We headed to the Fine Art Museum first (free Wednesdays!) and loved it. It was about 3 minutes from the shuttle stop. There was a temporary collection which wasn't really to our taste but the permanent art was really good. Unfortunately we were not allowed to take any video but the children loved it particularly one room with loads of bright pictures / paintings from a Basque artist (sorry I don't remember his name).

We then headed for Guggenheim Museum (about 5 min walk) which has a very impressive exterior, and I hope to include some pictures later. The children loved the huge dog of flowers at the front, the shiny metal ball sculpture and the giant spider.

I am now sitting at the cafe next door, enjoying a cool beer and just loving the whole thing. The architecture in Bilbao is so attractive. Really tall buildings with lots of turrets.

Hi Jo & Rob

Well we booked our first cruise six month ago and we are off on it tomorrow (Aurora) and I have spent many an hour on here reading the Q & A , seen many from your goodselves and also reading the reviews and I must say that your reports are the best I have seen , many thanks and enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Dave

Thanks for all the updates. We are on our first cruise in July, similar ititery, so very helpful. :)

Can I ask what this Horizon thing is you keep talking about :confused:

Horizon is the daily ship news information with detaills of upcoming port visits entertainment and activities for the day and other useful information, it's usually delivered to your cabin the night before.

I only know from doing a cruise on Ventura last year

Fantastic video looking inside your cabin. So helpful to see inside, much better than a million written words.

I agree! We'll be in a similar cabin in August, so this was invaluable to me.

By the way, I think you'd make an excellent TV presenter;):).

Fantastic video looking inside your cabin. So helpful to see inside, much better than a million written words.

I agree! We'll be in a similar cabin in August, so this was invaluable to me.

By the way, I think you'd make an excellent TV presenter;):).

Sorry about double post!

Archived