Can you do Delos on your own from Mykonos?

CuriousC

Can anyone advise whether you can get to Delos on your own from Mykonos port? We won't be arriving until 1 pm and from what I've been able to ascertain, tours and ferries from Mykonos depart in the morning and the archaeological site at Delos closes at 3 pm, making a DIY almost impossible within this time frame. This would probably leave only the ship's tour as a viable option (I'm presuming they maybe arrange for a charter to get guests over there??). Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

You can easily do Delos on your own from Mykonos, but not in the timeframe you mention. I believe that the last ferry departing for Delos from Mykonos Town is at noon.

However, the cruiselines do have arrangements to visit Delos. I was faced with this same situation on Princess a few years back and my only option was a Princess tour. It wasn't that expensive and well worth it, thought I'd have preferred doing it on my own. But just wanted to let you know that HAL will almost certainly offer you the chance to do Delos, and if you're interested, it is DEFINITELY worth doing.

If the little museum on site is open, it's also worth a look.

Can anyone advise whether you can get to Delos on your own from Mykonos port? We won't be arriving until 1 pm and from what I've been able to ascertain, tours and ferries from Mykonos depart in the morning and the archaeological site at Delos closes at 3 pm, making a DIY almost impossible within this time frame. This would probably leave only the ship's tour as a viable option (I'm presuming they maybe arrange for a charter to get guests over there??). Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

You will not be able to do it on your own. The last regular ferry leaves Delos at 3:00pm. Your only option is a ship tour.

Terri

Thanks everyone for your input. It sounds like the ship's tour (4 hours) would be the only viable option but at $94 per person, would it still be worth it (it seems a little pricey to me) or would we be just as well off to skip Delos and explore Mykonos town on our own? We're scheduled to be in port from 1 pm to 11 pm.

Delos is one of my all time favorite ports -- it is like no other and should not be missed. The whole island is a great archeological ruin. We self toured Delos in '09 on an Oceania cruise. Our ship spent the morning at Delos and we tendered over on our own. I recall walking one of the paths and noticing all of the orange stones on the path so I picked one up -- it was actually a chunk of ancient terra cotta pottery or pipe. I left it on the island as it is part of the museum and Greece's heritage.

I would definitely do the tour if that is the only way to get there. Mykonos is charming and filled with tourist shops, bars, restaurants and white washed streets -- like so many other places. Delos is one of a kind.

I'm not a fan of overpriced excursions when there is a DIY option but I purchased this one. The historical importance of Delos / the fact that it is presumably guided / the late arrival of the ship / and the trickiness of dealing with Ferrys make $96 well worth it to me. (The other excursion I got was Olympia and the Vinyards, again because of the distance and difficulty of DIY).

Archived