Skater's Cabin???

Great Sky Girl

I have just read a post that mentions Skater's Cabin in Juneau. My DH and I are going to rent a car and are looking at all the places to see there. Someone who knows, please tell me about Skater's Cabin. I am thinking we would like to see it.

Here's a link to that explains it and how you can rent it through the National Forest Service. http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/recreation/08_skaters_cabin_public_info_sheet.pdf

It does say as long as it isn't marked as reserved that you can use it, but it's on a first come, first serve basis. So no way on really knowing until you get out there or not, if you could go into the cabin.

Susan in Anchorage :)

I have just read a post that mentions Skater's Cabin in Juneau. My DH and I are going to rent a car and are looking at all the places to see there. Someone who knows, please tell me about Skater's Cabin. I am thinking we would like to see it.

The cabin is a nice stone structure, but obviously you'll have to use your imagination to see the lake covered with ice, skaters warming themselves by the roaring fire, etc.

But if you've got a car, it's definitely worth the views of the glacier and Nugget Falls from the west side of the lake.

Besides, you may get lucky and there *will* be a group partying at the cabin. You can view Alaska natives in their habitat! Last year, a group of friends and I were there when a wedding party went through their ceremony in the trees beside us. I can only imagine how that wedding video came out, with the smoke from our fire and the strains of Lady Gaga coming from someone's iPhone.

We were more than happy to lend them my fishing pole for a series of photos. "He's made quite a catch!" I'm sure was the caption, and we invited them over for schmores.

Besides, you may get lucky and there *will* be a group partying at the cabin. You can view Alaska natives in their habitat! Last year, a group of friends and I were there when a wedding party went through their ceremony in the trees beside us. I can only imagine how that wedding video came out, with the smoke from our fire and the strains of Lady Gaga coming from someone's iPhone.

My wife when to JD High School in Juneau. I asked her about the cabin as I'd never heard of it. She said that's where everyone went to party. She said not to post that so thank you for taking that burden from me...

Since they are renting a car they may want to drive out to the Shrine of St. Therese.

http://www.shrineofsainttherese.org/

Archived