First time cruiser's review of the NCL Spirit 4/3 7 day Western Caribbean.

NODAK1979

I was told by numerous people here that they'd like to see what I thought about cruising after taking this first cruise because I was so apprehensive about it. So, I thought I'd just share what my thoughts were on this cruise from the perspective of a person who hadn't cruised before.

Positives:

1) Service is excellent. I know I had read several threads before stating the service onboard this ship was great and I would agree. I almost felt guilty having people treat us so well, knowing full well they spend 9 months at a time at sea without seeing their families.

2) The ports were great. Well, actually, the shore excursions we did were great. There were 4 ports and we did 3 excursions. Only in Roatan did we not, which was fine because of the great beach nearby and the cleanliness of the port itself.

3) Entertainment was pretty good. Yes, some was a bit cheesy and seemed like we were in Branson, but I realize that a younger couple isn't really the primary audience for all of it.

4) NCL's focus on no dress code meant that I could pack light and not worry about dressing up. That was great. I dress up 5 days a week at work, and it isn't something I want to worry about while on vacation.

5) The room was pretty quiet, and since I am noise sensitive, that was huge. Bed was fine too.

Negatives:

1) The food really wasn't very good, especially in the main dining rooms. We found that time after time the food we would order, while sounding great on the menu, wouldn't deliver. Eventually, we just resorted the buffet, which actually seemed better than the dining rooms because I could key on certain things I liked (definitely the fondue, pasta and unlimited milk refills). We ate at La Trattoria one night and the chicken parm was probably the worst my wife and I have ever tasted. I say that without exaggeration.

2) The port shopping "consultant" was aggrivating. I know it's a small thing, but it gets under my skin that a guy who is basically sold to you as a guy who is going to help you get great deals is really just a salesman. If anybody has sailed the Spirit and listened to Kiwi James give a spirited talk as to why you need to invest in tanzanite, diamonds, ammolite or Breitling watches, you probably know what I mean. I spoke to other people on the cruise about this and they had the same thoughts I did. He must be getting kickbacks. Gee, I wonder who paid for his trip to Tanzania to go to the tanzanite mine?

3) Sea days grew long, especially the last one. When we couldn't spend much of the day at port, sometimes boredom set in. Nights weren't as bad because of the shows but the days could be pretty sparse.

4) 13 inch TV's in the room?? Really?? Speaking with other people, apparently this is NOT the norm on cruises. I'd hope not. This isn't the 80s anymore.

Conclusion:

We aren't ruling out another cruise in the future, though we'd choose a bigger, more modern ship. It'll be a while though, because there are a few other places we'd like to go first and spend a few days in before we'd like to go on a cruise again. There were ups and downs, but all in all there were good memories.

Thoughtful review and very glad you had an overall good cruise!

I have to say that regarding the food, the buffet really does have some excellent choices. It is not as relaxing and some folks like to be served--but there were really some wonderful dishes available on the buffet. Also, you really have your choice--and you get to see it. I had some wonderful pasta, as well as marvelous salads. While I have also had some very good meals in the MDR, I have had some pretty mediocre food too that doesn't live up to the description. Wow--sorry about that chicken parm--I honestly have never gotten anything that was really awful. Oh my goodness, wonder what that was about. I did learn to order something else when I got something that jsut wasn't that good. There is definitely good food, even wonderful food to be had--but you do have to search it out a bit!!

Yes, newer ships do have nicer TVs, I never really notice because I never watch TV. But yes, those little TVs are kinda sad--LOL! :)

Negatives:

1) The food really wasn't very good...

I have heard differing opinions on the food on NCL and have no basis for praise or criticism. I can say that Princess and Royal have done well for us in the food department, including the upscale restaurants. While we don't consider any of them to be 5 star I can say I haven't been disappointed at all.

2) The port shopping "consultant" was aggrivating.

I think every new cruiser gets sucked into these and most that I know never go back for another. They are sales pitches and must do well or they wouldn't continue having them. I agree with you 100% on going to them. Never again.

3) Sea days grew long, especially the last one.

I think on my first sea day I was at a loss to find things to do. As I learned what was available, now I really look forward to them. I think there is a learning curve to sea days. Some people who cruise a lot still don't like them.

4) 13 inch TV's in the room?? Really??

We've never seen one on a ship so can't comment. Must be an anomoly.

Conclusion:

We aren't ruling out another cruise in the future, though we'd choose a bigger, more modern ship. It'll be a while though, because there are a few other places we'd like to go first and spend a few days in before we'd like to go on a cruise again. There were ups and downs, but all in all there were good memories.

I'm glad you made it through the cruise and had a good time overall. Props to you for your honest approach. I would recommend, if you cruise again, to try Royal Caribbean for it's activities. They may be more to your liking.

Larry

Thanks for your review of the good and the bad. Sorry the food wasn't up to your expectations. Food is a very widely debated subject on these threads. While we've always been happy in every NCL cruise with the food, there are a few things here and there that are subpar. Glad to hear you were able to find things in the buffet.

We liked the Spirit for it's unique decor. We weren't crazy about the big theater (I can't remember now what they call it? Most of the other ships have a Stardust Theater, but if I remember right, the Spirit calls it something else - like Moulin, or some such name.) (OR maybe they have since changed it to the Stardust as well???)

Of all the NCL ships we've been on, we liked the buffet area of the Spirit the best.

Happy cruising in the future, if you decide to go again!

OP.. Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I'm always interested in what a first time cruiser thinks.

While reading your review I couldn't help but think maybe Carnival might be a better match for you. I have been surprised that so many recommended RCCL (which I personally think is a great cruise line myself) and no one mentioned CCL. We found CCL had tons of activies onboard and most of them taylored for younger people (younger than us at least). Plus the food on CCL was very good. Food on RCCL was also very good. As far as buffet food (which I am NOT a fan of) I do have to give props to NCL for that one. The buffet on the Pearl is excellent. Not only is the dining room arranged very well, but the food on the Pearl's buffet was great.

Good luck on future cruises and again, thanks for sharing.

I was told by numerous people here that they'd like to see what I thought about cruising after taking this first cruise because I was so apprehensive about it. So, I thought I'd just share what my thoughts were on this cruise from the perspective of a person who hadn't cruised before.

Positives:

1) Service is excellent. I know I had read several threads before stating the service onboard this ship was great and I would agree. I almost felt guilty having people treat us so well, knowing full well they spend 9 months at a time at sea without seeing their families.

2) The ports were great. Well, actually, the shore excursions we did were great. There were 4 ports and we did 3 excursions. Only in Roatan did we not, which was fine because of the great beach nearby and the cleanliness of the port itself.

3) Entertainment was pretty good. Yes, some was a bit cheesy and seemed like we were in Branson, but I realize that a younger couple isn't really the primary audience for all of it.

4) NCL's focus on no dress code meant that I could pack light and not worry about dressing up. That was great. I dress up 5 days a week at work, and it isn't something I want to worry about while on vacation.

5) The room was pretty quiet, and since I am noise sensitive, that was huge. Bed was fine too.

Negatives:

1) The food really wasn't very good, especially in the main dining rooms. We found that time after time the food we would order, while sounding great on the menu, wouldn't deliver. Eventually, we just resorted the buffet, which actually seemed better than the dining rooms because I could key on certain things I liked (definitely the fondue, pasta and unlimited milk refills). We ate at La Trattoria one night and the chicken parm was probably the worst my wife and I have ever tasted. I say that without exaggeration.

2) The port shopping "consultant" was aggrivating. I know it's a small thing, but it gets under my skin that a guy who is basically sold to you as a guy who is going to help you get great deals is really just a salesman. If anybody has sailed the Spirit and listened to Kiwi James give a spirited talk as to why you need to invest in tanzanite, diamonds, ammolite or Breitling watches, you probably know what I mean. I spoke to other people on the cruise about this and they had the same thoughts I did. He must be getting kickbacks. Gee, I wonder who paid for his trip to Tanzania to go to the tanzanite mine?

3) Sea days grew long, especially the last one. When we couldn't spend much of the day at port, sometimes boredom set in. Nights weren't as bad because of the shows but the days could be pretty sparse.

4) 13 inch TV's in the room?? Really?? Speaking with other people, apparently this is NOT the norm on cruises. I'd hope not. This isn't the 80s anymore.

Conclusion:

thanks for a fair and balanced review.

As I mentioned on another thread you started, the shopping consultants are the same on about every cruise line, they are there for one reason only. Most of us, who cruise often, don't bother even listening to what they have to say and couldn't tell you thier names nor would we recognize if we saw them on board.

The food issue, that is pretty subjective. My thought, if you were not satisfied with the food, you may not be a true cruiser at heart as the food on most mass marketed lines is pretty similar. We happen to think the food on NCL is fine (not gourmet) Keep in mind there are 2000 plus people to feed 3 times a day, it is going to be pretty much banquet quality except for the specialty dining rooms.

Now the TV issue, yes, I agree they are pretty much a joke. Let me add, again, most ships have very small TV, but the newer ships do have flat screen TVs. The idea is to get you out of your cabin and hopefully you will spend money. If a cruise line offers you a 30 inch flat screen TV and the best of programming, you might think you are supposed to spend your entire night and or day in the cabin. For us, as we are not huge TV fans even at home, as long as there are TVs in the cabins we could care less what kind they are but many people do care.

Hopefully you will try crusing again and yes, you may want a bigger, newer ship, but don't expect the food to vary that much. It does sound like you might want to try Carnival. The ships are more active than NCL. RCI is a good line as well, but more like NCL.

Nita

Glad you had a good trip.

As a veteran cruiser, I NEVER go to those infomercials know as port shopping experts. Can you say Vince? Do you need a sham wow? All the cruise lines are the same with them.

Those TV's in the room are a joke. I hope they throw them out in September when she goes to drydock.

I appreciate your review. We are leaving out on the Spirit May 1st and are super excited, 13" inch tvs really?.....well I am not planning on watching much tv so we should be fine with that. I am glad you submitted a well rounded review, did you guys play any of the games onoard, did you try any of the foods at Blue Lagoon or Henrys Pub, I have heard that the fish and chips is fantastic! Hope you cruise again soon, I personally can hardly wait and I hope the next 19 days pass very quickly!

The TV's are really sorry but at least NCL has Fox News channel. When we were on Princess all they had was CNN international - not even the American version.

I appreciate your review. We are leaving out on the Spirit May 1st and are super excited, 13" inch tvs really?.....well I am not planning on watching much tv so we should be fine with that. I am glad you submitted a well rounded review, did you guys play any of the games onoard, did you try any of the foods at Blue Lagoon or Henrys Pub, I have heard that the fish and chips is fantastic! Hope you cruise again soon, I personally can hardly wait and I hope the next 19 days pass very quickly!

I know the TV thing should not matter much, but I like to unwind at the end of the day with some TV...and even with my good vision it's tough to see what's going on when you're looking at a 13 inch TV.

I did go to Blue Lagoon a couple of times...had a cheeseburger and chicken strips. They're fine...won't knock your socks off but are definitely good when it's late and nothing else is open. The only crappy thing is that if you want it in your room, they have to deliver because they will not allow you to walk with food across the ship.

The TV's are really sorry but at least NCL has Fox News channel. When we were on Princess all they had was CNN international - not even the American version.

I was on news overload because basically all they had was news channels and E!. Since I don't like celebrity gossip, I got my fill of hearing about the government about to shut down.

I'm glad you made it through the cruise and had a good time overall. Props to you for your honest approach. I would recommend, if you cruise again, to try Royal Caribbean for it's activities. They may be more to your liking.

Larry

I just saw the Oasis of the Seas. Wow. I should have went on that one in the first place. That thing looks like a floating palace from the pictures.

I just saw the Oasis of the Seas. Wow. I should have went on that one in the first place. That thing looks like a floating palace from the pictures.
Way too many people on that ship. About 5,400 passengers. Can you imagine stopping in all the ports with that crowd. The Spirit is the perfect size.

. The only crappy thing is that if you want it in your room, they have to deliver because they will not allow you to walk with food across the ship.

:confused:

we have never encountered this on our 9 cruises with NCL including the Spirit--we would just ask for the food to go and take it with us from the Blue Lagoon or Sports Bar...on the Star in Dec 2009 we were sailing for 2 weeks and they got so they knew what hubby wanted and he didnt even have to ask!!

Archived