$71 for 24 bottles of water on RCL !!! WTH!

You have a few options.

If drinking Evian water (the brand of water in the RCI water package) is a must then I would first try and buy your own and bring it with you on board. If you can buy 24 bottles of 1 liter Evian for $4.00 (a really good deal...remind me to buy my Evian where you're buying yours because it would cost me almost 10x that much where I live) then you're not out much if security doesn't allow you to bring it aboard with you.

If drinking bottled water isn't something you have to do then I wouldn't waste my time or money if I were you. Just bring a reusable bottle with you and fill it with the ship's drinking water as many times as you wish without spending a dime extra.

The last option is to buy the package as advertised by RCI. It is expensive but nothing sold on board is going to be the same price as what it would be in your local grocery store.

No matter what option you go with, have a fantastic cruise!

As I see it, all bottled water on land will be cheaper than a bottled water package on a ship. We bought the 8 bottle package and once I paid for it, I decided to forget about it since the whole cruise costs so much more than that. This is my vacation and I expect to pay more on the ship for soda, beer, mixed drinks, laundering clothes, and anything else that is not free on the ship. I don't know what I can do about it and I keep choosing a cruise as my favorite vacation, so I will drink the bottled water, forget about the cost for bottled water, and concentrate on enjoying my long awaited cruise.

I think the idea of refilling empty bottles is a good one, if you can drink the ship's water, that way you don't have to buy 24, or any bottled water package from the ship.

Have a good cruise anyway!

Do they still allow you to check water in as baggage anymore? What am I to do??? That's crazy...I'm not paying that much..it would cost $4 max at the local grocery store.

I'm confused here....you can bring an inexpensive pitcher/filter system that makes as much purified water as you want....actually better quality than bottled. Much cheaper....and there are no restrictions on bringing these aboard.

Why would anyone lug around heavy cases of expensive water? Something's not adding up here.

I've found that the water from the bathroom faucet on RCI ships is heavily chlorinated - it's most obvious after re-filling a water bottle. For some reason it's not as bad from the water dispensers in the eateries- Windjammer or Promenade Cafe, so that's where I do my refilling (using a glass so as not to contaminate the faucet).

I will usually bring a few bottles on at embarkation and then reprovision in the ports. I know that the cost of water is a rounding error compared to the cost of the cruise, but it's my personal line in the sand.

I can only imagine royal caribbean thinking

lets charge 71$ , they r the nation of why not !!!

I can imagine them all sitting around a big conference table, and someone makes a crazy $$ proposition, and Joe from Accounting yells out, "Why not?!!" Then AG orders more pizza and another round of shrimp cocktails for the table.

Just buy a water bottle with a charcoal filter in it - it's good for about 40-50 fills - they sell them at Crate & Barrel among other retailers.

These work great, and really come in handy if you want to refill your bottle in port. I bought mine just for that reason. I have no problem with the water on the ships, but I'm a chicken little when it comes to refilling my bottle in the different ports.

I looked into the water package and almost fell out. Decided it might be cheaper to drink alcohol! :D

And you can pretend that the alcohol kills norovirus, and you are drinking it for medicinal purposes!

win-win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have cruised Carnival, Disney, and NCL. Because we always drive to the port, I always bring a case of water and a 12 pack of Diet coke with me. I use one of those plastic rolling carts that collapses. Never had a problem with those cruise lines, however, this is my first RCCL cruise. I always just sent it through the x-ray and roll it along right up on to the ship. I drop it off at my room asap.

;)Why? you ask. I bring the case of water because with three kids, who btw are now older... 17, 14, 14, it is easier for everyone to be responsible with their own bottle of cheap water for excursions. If they bring it back, they can rinse and fill, otherwise they get a new one the next day for excursions. I have no problem with the water on the ship and bring a refillable bottle for my Crystal Light Lemonade and Iced Tea.

I also like to drink Diet coke. I am not a "pepsi" girl. I do not like fountain soda and like the ease of just opening a can when I want it. Just my preference.

If they refuse to let me bring on my water and soda, oh well....cheap enough lesson learned for future cruises with RCCL. No going to stress over $10 of water and soda.

Just my 2 cents

Jackie

:)6/23/11 Explore of the Seas

6/2010 NCl Jewel

6/2009 Carnival Pride

6/2008 Carnival Victory

8/2007 NCL ????

6/2006 Carnival Victory

6/2006 Disney Magic

7/1990 Carnival Holiday

Just got off the Allure April 3rd. We carried in a 24 pack of sealed water bottles in a wheeled cooler. Yes, the water was inspected-HEAVILY. They pulled the whole case out of the cooler, ripped it open and checked at least 6 bottles by shaking them. I had nothing to hide, so no problem. We went on our way. We like the convenience of having the water in our cabins. Funny, our checked luggage had two bottles of unopened soft soap for our two cabins and it was delayed and ended up being inspected and not delivered until very late--go figure. There was a note taped across the ziplock bag saying "inspected"

We bought a bottle for each of us on board (to avoid packing more stuff) and then refilled it in the fitness center as needed. The fountain in the fitness center runs pretty cold. I don't know that it tastes any better than any other water on board but it tended to be significantly colder than what we could get it to in our room.

Just off the Freedom of the Seas on Sunday, my case of bottled water arrived save and sound in our stateroom after we put one of the luggage tags on it. It was the last peace of "luggage" to arrive but it was still in it's original plastic shrink wrapping. BTW, I agree that the water on board is fine and I frequent the watering holes but it is nice to have a "cold one" in the morning in my cabin and on the balcony without leaving my stateroom.

Used my last one on the balcony Sunday while waiting our number to be called.

Archived