Epic review, April 2nd-9th, LONG with pictures

nathand95

Hey Nathan - First let me say, your review and pics were absolutely amazing. Kudos to you for your writing.

I was on the Epic back in April and enjoyed it as much or even more than you. I will be sailing her again during Thanksgiving week with my two kids. I'm going to make my 16yo read your review. This is her first time on NCL and is nervous about meeting other kids.

One other question I can pretty much figure out how you got the studio room but did you have any issues staying in one since you're under 21?

Thank you. I'm glad you liked it.

From you signature it looks like you went 2 weeks after me. Did you do Western? I'm curious to see what you'll think of the Eastern itin. compared to the Western itin. I'm dissapointed they discontinued the Western itin. I have no idea why they did this.

Your daughter should have no problem making friends. Since it's a holiday from school there will be tons of kids on board. If she has been on a cruise before then she knows how it is the first night:icebreakers then scavenger hunt in groups. Oh, sorry I'm really A.D.D. but this is a good tip. I got in touch with people on the roll call who also had kids and we set up a facebook page. It was a great way to meet people before the cruise.

As far as the studio is concerned, when we were booking we booked my mom, who is obviously over 21 in it, and my stepdad and I in the balcony cabin. Once we got on board we went to guest serviced so I could get a room-key only card for the studio since I would be sleeping in there. It was cool being bymyself, but not cool because my mom also had a room card. Even on a cruise she would randomly come in and "organize" to where I couldn't find anything. It worked out great for our family, so if y'all are able to do that, go for it!

I'm glad you share my parents philosphy on cruise ship parenting. If you trust your kids at home to walk around town with their friends then a cruise ship shouldn't be any different. A ship is probably saffer too depending on wher you're from. Hopefully for my next spring break I can convince them to bring a friend. I'm more of an explorer than my parents. I love just wandering around a ship and seeing where it will take me.

I was having such a nice time reading your kind words until I read the hated G-word. Georgia tech all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, what does your son do and where can I apply! haha:p:)

Great review Nathan!!! I agree teens that are responsible need to have their space. I brought my nephew with us on his first cruise when he was 16. He had the best time of his life, he loved Club O2. We saw him at dinner and when we did our excursion's at port. He was good to check in from time to time even when he was off with his friends. We took him a cruise again when he was 17 and then again as a present when he turned 18. He's now so hooked on cruising he try's to go on each trip. He's going with us in November on the same cruise he went on the first time. Will be his 4th cruise. Wish when I was 18 I could say I had been on 4 cruises. :-)

Great review Nathan!!! I agree teens that are responsible need to have their space. I brought my nephew with us on his first cruise when he was 16. He had the best time of his life, he loved Club O2. We saw him at dinner and when we did our excursion's at port. He was good to check in from time to time even when he was off with his friends. We took him a cruise again when he was 17 and then again as a present when he turned 18. He's now so hooked on cruising he try's to go on each trip. He's going with us in November on the same cruise he went on the first time. Will be his 4th cruise. Wish when I was 18 I could say I had been on 4 cruises. :-)

On my most revent Carnival cruise (Valor) I was't quite old enough for Club O2 (less than a month too young) but the counselor from Club O2 was really cool and let me in anyways. It was so much fun! And it was way better than Circle C anyday!

Having divorced parents is good for one thing:double vacations! It's especially great when mom/stepdad and dad/stepmom both love cruising! My 1st,2nd,and 4th cruise were with my dad and stepmom and my 3rd and 5th cruises were with my mom and stepdad.

Even though once I'm 18 I'm off the payroll, I'm going to work my butt off so I can still cruise in college. I've been eyeing cruises from JAX and Charleston and for an inside cabin on a 3,4,or 5 day it isn't too bad.

I'm glad you enjoyed my review.:)

Next time I hopefully sail is next spring break. We are down to the Epic,NCL Spirit, RCCL Oasis/Allure, Adventure of the Seas, or Grandeur of the Seas. I look forward to writing another review!/quote]

Believe me when I say that after a cruise on the Epic the only ships that can compete with it for the simple "Wow Factor" is the Oasis or Allure. I would do everything in my power to convince your parents to book on one of those.

Agree about Oasis and Allure. I have cruised on Epic twice and loved the ship. We cruised on the Oasis and was WOW'd by that ship also. Two completely different ships and experiences but both exceptional.

Just read this entire thread from start to finish today. Loved your review, Nathan. I don't remember if you saw BMG. I would imagine you would have loved that show. I had a great time reading about your time on Epic. Thanks for a great read.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I did not see BMG. My one regret about this cruise was I spent too much time with my "friends" I met. I wish I would have gone with my parents to see Legends, BMG, and Second City. I have lost contact with everyone from that cruise. Of all the cruises I have been on I've only kept in contact with 1 person who I met 2 years ago.

I'm sure you have experienced this. Someone can act one way on CC and be totally different on the ship or someone you meet on the ship that you keep in conact with is totally different. Oh well, that's life.

When you went on the Oasis did you feel it was too big? Where you able to navigate around pretty easily? I've seen pictures and Epic is big, but Oasis and Allure seen FREAKING HUGE! It's not detering me from looking into these options though.:D

• 2 weeks later...
Thank You for your wonderful review. My Kids 9 and 7 have picked the Epic for our Nov 2012 cruise and I am doing my research before we book. Looks like they made a great choice.

They made a great choice! It never hurts to research. You will be shocked at the little tricks you learn to make everything run more smoothly. Check Epic prices daily. One day I was just looking through the website and noticed prices had dropped significantly so we booked. Then prices dropped again, we called, and got our final payment reduced.

From a fellow Douglasville resident, loving the review Nathan.. :) I hope you continue it. :)

We go on the Epic in April 2012 and CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!

Wow! I had no idea anyone from Douglasville would be on CC. Small world. I'm glad you're enjoying the review. I had alot of fun writing it. If all goes as planned I'll hopefully be able to return to the Epic on spring break from school. I'll be sailing the week before you though.

I hope you have a great cruise.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You had a awesome review. I'm going on the Epic December of next year and I'm so looking forward to it. This will be my first cruise with NCL, previously I've sailed with RCCL 3 times. The first with RCCL was awesome but the last 2 I was a bit disappointed, and wanted to try something else. From the sound of your review, I think I made a good choice. Thanks again for the the review and your pictures:D

You had a awesome review. I'm going on the Epic December of next year and I'm so looking forward to it. This will be my first cruise with NCL, previously I've sailed with RCCL 3 times. The first with RCCL was awesome but the last 2 I was a bit disappointed, and wanted to try something else. From the sound of your review, I think I made a good choice. Thanks again for the the review and your pictures:D

I am sure you will not be dissapointed. I really hope you enjoy your cruise! The Epic is a great ship and I'm sure you will love her.

I just found your review and pics. I'm glad you kept trying to get the pics to work!

Please write another review. You have an engaging style.

Thank you so much!

Believe me, I would love to go cruising again and write another review to share with y'all, but I'm not sure if I will be cruising in 2012. I know for a fact I will be cruising in 2013 since I graduate then. I will try and work my magic as best as I can, but I can't promise another review in the near future. But believe me, when I write a review, you will hear about it since I tend pretty,well EPIC, reviews:p:D. Have a great day!

P.S. I wish my engaging style of writing would transfer into my essays in my English class! Perhaps I have a future in travel writing. My English teacher would be floored if I went into a career dealing with writing.

Wow, scrolled thru here just for the pictures, and they are WONDERFUL. Great job. Some day when I have time, I'll have to come back and read the reviews:D

Thank you thank you! These are the only pics I have from the cruise. My computer got a bad virus and I lost all of my pics that weren't uploaded to photobucket and here. It was a very sad day :(. I definitely suggest you set some time aside and read the review. There is a plethora of info. in it and I can guarantee I will make you laugh out loud multiple times. Have a great day and happy future cruising!

• 9 months later...

Hi Nathan, I know it's been over a year since you wrote your review, but I just read it.

You are an excellent writer and definitely have a future in the public relations or communications field. What I like about your writing is that you write with all five senses - what you hear, see, feel, taste and smell. That makes the reader have the 'you are there' experience.

I always appreciate a writer who understands sentence structure, can spell and can tell a story.

NCL should make you their teenage ambassador to market the ship, the cruise line and the teen club to parents with teenagers.

Your parents must be so proud of you. In addition to your ability to write, I was impressed with how articulate, independent, confident, adventurous and smart you are. As I read your review, I could not believe you were 15 yrs. old.

You have a very bright future ahead of you. If you have not made a decision about college yet, let me put in a plug for my alma mater, UNC Chapel Hill.

Best wishes for your success!

Janet

Wow!!! Nathan this was such a cool review! I just read the entire thing form start to finish. My sister and I will be doing the Epic Eastern Caribbean itinerary in January.

I wish I knew more teenagers as well spoken as you! Unfortunately, most of those I encounter are quite the opposite.

As so many others have already stated, you are obviously going to be largely successful and be able to do whatever you want to do - including booking cruises in the finest of suites! And women love intelligent men! ;)

I'm 29 and I WISH a lot of men my age could express themselves the way you can.

Kudos on an absolutely fantastic review!

• 2 weeks later...

What an excellent review! I love your writing style! Lots of great information, photos, and very entertaining too! Im booked in a studio on the Epic for next year! So it was great to find your excellent review.:)

Archived