Car seats for children

mitsugirly

One thing I haven't thought of is a car seat for my 3 year old at the time we cruise in September.

Are they required to be in a car seat when in the taxi on the islands? We won't be doing any excursions, just grabbing a cab to the beach or where ever we are going for that port.

Or do you just hold them in your lap?

I hadn't thought about a car seat in the taxi ride to/from the airport and the hotel.

What do people do? I can't imagine lugging something like that around along with everything else needed.

What about on the plane? Do you hold them in your lap or do you have to have them in some type of seat as well? I'm so confused.

There are probably hundreds of car seat discussions on this webpage. For more than you ever wanted to know, do a quick search.

Since your child has their own seat on the plane, you may bring their car seat onboard if it's FAA approved. Otherwise, you can check it.

If you are planning on taking taxis, you will need to bring your car seat. Why would you consider holding your child on your lap? It's not safe at home, and it's not safe on vacation. Despite what you read, you will not have problems finding a taxi with seat belts, and the driver will wait for you to install your seat.

If you don't want to haul the seat around, take a bus or shuttle, that does not require a car seat.

Are they required to be in a car seat when in the taxi on the islands?

I hadn't thought about a car seat in the taxi ride to/from the airport and the hotel.

Are they required to be in a car seat while riding around the islands, no. The islands don't care what happens to your child if you are in a car accident. But it's your child.

The laws of physics don't change because you are on vacation. ;)

I'm asking because hauling her car seat around is heavier than hauling her around. I can't imagine taking that thing everywhere. There's no way we would be able to haul it around, on the beach, snorkeling, walking around in port, shopping...

What about on the plane? Do you hold them in your lap or do you have to have them in some type of seat as well? I'm so confused.

Any child 2 or up must have his/her own seat on U.S. domestic flights (regulations may differ overseas). There is no requirement that a 3 year old have a carseat in that plane seat. However, be aware that there is only a lapbelt, and the seatbelt was designed to restrain adults, not small children. In the event of sudden turbulence, a lapbelt may not sufficiently restrain a small child, who could slide through the belt (lacking an adult pelvic structure). A booster seat only helps position a shoulder belt, and cannot be used on an airplane (but a 3 year old should still be in a 5-point harness seat, ideally rearfacing in the car).

Whether you need a carseat in port depends on where you're going. Local laws typically do require use of a carseat for 3 year olds, but taxis may be exempt from that requirement. No taxi anywhere is exempt from the laws of physics, however ;) A 3 year old is not as safe in a car without an appropriate child restraint, and incidents like ejectment of the child out of the car and other serious (even fatal) injuries do occur when young children are not properly restrained in even relatively low-speed accidents.

Should you bring a carseat? In my opinion, yes. You have to do a cost-benefit analysis, thinking about the risk and what the cost is to you. I cannot even weigh the risk versus cost in this scenario, because dead or badly injured child just always outweighs the cost or inconvenience of toting around a carseat, in my mind.

What carseat can you bring? Cosco Scenera is a cheap, extremely light-weight, easily transported carseat that goes to 40 lbs., which should accommodate a 3 year old. The Radian carseat (there are several models) collapse somewhat flat and can be worn like a backpack for easier travel (and are FAA approved for aircraft).

How do you transport it? Radian can be worn. Other seats can be bungeed into an umbrella stroller, or strapped to a lightweight collapsible luggage cart. Or strapped to your roll-aboard luggage. Or just carried.

When we travel with our son, he will be in a carseat in his own seat in the plane (he is young enough to be a lap child, but we will not do that). We are renting a car to get from airport to port (Orlando to Port Canaveral). We will store the carseat on the ship. If we cannot locate a taxi with a seatbelt to allow us to install DS's carseat, then we will not take a taxi in the ports. We have opted for one excursion that uses a boat to transport us, rather than ground transport, specifically because we can put on a life jacket on the boat but may not have a seatbelt in the taxi.

The destinations forum has information about specific locations, and whether you can expect to find a taxi with a seatbelt. You can call the local chamber of commerce from where you'll be visiting, too. Yes, Caribbean islands often have open-air bus-style taxis without seatbelts, and you can't use a carseat with them. IMO, those are not safe vehicles as a general principle, and especially not with a lightweight passenger like a child, who can be more easily ejected from the vehicle than a 200-lb. adult. I'd either pass on being transported altogether, or wait for a taxi with seatbelts.

It can be a hassle, traveling with a young child. But the safety equipment is insurance against something terrible happening to your child. It is only a relatively few years that you need to worry about this, and, yes, it may mean that there are inconveniences associated with this short period in your child's life when they require more "gear" for vacations. I figure that we'll have many more options when DS is a few years older, and I'm glad that I have the option to take him on a cruise where there are child-specific activities geared to him, even if there may be some limitations on what we can do in ports.

I'm asking because hauling her car seat around is heavier than hauling her around. I can't imagine taking that thing everywhere. There's no way we would be able to haul it around, on the beach, snorkeling, walking around in port, shopping...

As I noted above, the Cosco Scenera costs around $35 and is very lightweight. You can strap it to a stroller to cart it around.

But, yes, you may need to consider that you would have to skip some of these activities on this trip, if the only way to get to these activities is by motor vehicle.

I think you'll find, though, that there are many ports where you can simply walk off the ship to shop or go to the beach, or where your excursion consists of taking a boat or ferry to a beach or snorkeling destination. No carseat required. Or, consider leaving your child in the kids' club for a few hours while you do one of these excursions.

Only you can decide, of course, but it's not fearmongering or unreasonable anxiety to note that one consequence of not putting your 3 year old in a carseat in a vehicle is that he/she could suffer serious injuries or death. Taxis do get involved in collisions, too. It is a monumental hassle to cart around the carseat, yes. It's a hassle to feed, diaper, and care for a little one, too. It's just part of the package.

ETA: The Scenera comes in a heavyweight, zip-able plastic bag that can be used to protect the seat if you do bring it somewhere like the beach, for example.

You are trying to explain to experienced cruising parents who do find it possible to not only haul around one car seat, some of us haul around two.

So while you find it unimaginable, I find it unimaginable not to. ;)

Milton gave you some great car seat options. Find one that will work for your family.

You are trying to explain to experienced cruising parents who do find it possible to not only haul around one car seat, some of us haul around two.

So while you find it unimaginable, I find it unimaginable not to. ;)

Milton gave you some great car seat options. Find one that will work for your family.

No, Michelle! You're supposed to ask her how convenient it would be to haul around a little coffin.

OP - kids are often a PITA. Get used to it, keep your child safe, and purchase a lighter seat. You would never be able to live with yourself if something happened if your child wasn't in a car seat because it was too inconvenient for you.

No, Michelle! You're supposed to ask her how convenient it would be to haul around a little coffin.

LMBO!!! I KNEW you would be back to say that!!!!! :D I swear that comment will follow me forever!!!! :p

Yes, I thought it. But I didn't SAY it {or type it} :p

I was trying to be good. ;)

BTW - mitsugirly - you didn't say which city you were arriving in - which airport. I've had taxi drivers in Florida ask where my car seat was (it was strapped to my back). So are you taking a taxi while still in the US? Or are you using cruise transports -- a bus cruise transport will not require a car seat.

LMBO!!! I KNEW you would be back to say that!!!!! :D I swear that comment will follow me forever!!!! :p

Yes, I thought it. But I didn't SAY it {or type it} :p

I was trying to be good. ;)

There is nothing "bad" about telling people the truth. The comment will be around forever because it's so true! No one wants to imagine the worst will happen, but the older you get, the more you realize that it can and does.

I purchased this vest for my 2 years old:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00345KX6Y

It is a little bit expensive, but worth for me to not carry huge car seat.

These vests are not made for two year olds. They aren't supposed to be used for children under the age of three; the vests aren't a car seat replacement, they are designed to be used for children who are in booster seats.

These vests are not made for two year olds. They aren't supposed to be used for children under the age of three; the vests aren't a car seat replacement, they are designed to be used for children who are in booster seats.

They go by weight, not by age. Starting at 30 lbs. The vest comply with FMVSS 213:

"The U.S. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard that establishes requirements for child restraint systems designed for use by children up to 50 lb in both highway vehicles and aircraft. These requirements cover crash performance, geometry, instructions and labeling, durability, flammability, and product registration. See a complete copy of FMVSS 213 (http://www.carseat.org/Legal/FMVSS213.pdf)".

They go by weight, not by age. Starting at 30 lbs. The vest comply with FMVSS 213:

"The U.S. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard that establishes requirements for child restraint systems designed for use by children up to 50 lb in both highway vehicles and aircraft. These requirements cover crash performance, geometry, instructions and labeling, durability, flammability, and product registration. See a complete copy of FMVSS 213.

I did not make any comment about their safety or approval. Only that they are not made for use by a two year old, no matter how much that two year old weighs. Of course, you may use whatever restraint system you like. But, a two year old is not safe in a booster seat or this travel vest.

Ride Safer Travel Vest:

Small Size fits children ages 3-6, 35-60 pounds and 38-52 inches tall

Large Size fits children 5-9 years old, 50-80 pounds and 45-57 inches tall

With the Ride Safer Vest your child can travel safely without a car seat or booster from 3 years and 30 lbs

I think you're fairly safe relying on the plane seat belt. Anytime you're going to call on a seat belt in a plane to keep you safe, then it won't do the job - you don't often survive a plane crash.

As for the cars, I'm a statistician. Very few people get killed or seriously injured in cars travelling at less than thirty miles an hour - so instead of carting round a car seat, tell the driver to drive slow. 20 mph to be even more cautious. A promise of a good tip will help him to agree.

After all, if you're not willing to allow your child to ride in a car at 30 mph, then you'd better not allow him to play in the yard without a crash helmet. It's just as dangerous, albeit not as currently fashionable to be worried about.

6rugrats, you are right. i just checked my box, and it does says: 3 years old and 30 lbs. Thank you. I mainly got it because we are going to Europe in September, and DS will be 3 then. Thanks, see you May 8th :)

Please come back and post how it worked. It looks like a great alternative to a booser. Have a great trip!

Ok, I can’t help myself on this one. Milton333, cruisinmama06 and 6rugrats have all given great advice. As a certified car seat technician, I'll add in these points:

1. Children who are 3 yrs old should not be using booster seats. Nor should 4 year olds, that's why they make seats that harness to 65lbs (and more in the US, we're stuck with 65lbs in Canada). The fact that you can buy booster seats with 30lb weight limits blows my mind, but that's a whole other post.

2. Ask yourself this: Can you live with yourself if your child is injured/killed in a collision (because as my car seat instructor teaches, there are no accidents...only collisions)? Some people are ok with this, I personally am not. Yes I will do everything in my power, including lugging a car seat around the world, to protect my kids. And no, they do not wear helmets playing in the back yard, but do when on a bicycle. It's the law here in Canada ;)

3. There are a multitude of creative ways of carrying a car seat around on vacation. Some choose to use transportation that does not require a car seat, like a coach bus or water taxi. We had a great time in St. Maartin using the water taxi and walking around port. Others we researched ahead of time and used taxis, asking people to store the car seat for us while we toured around. It was never a problem and people were more than happy to help. On an aircraft, there are documented cases in Canada of children surviving crashes while buckled into their properly installed car seats. Again, it goes back to doing what you can as a parent to protect your child. I do all that I can, regardless of the situation.

As cruisinmama06 says, the laws of physics don't change because you go on vacation! (I love this quote!)

Yeah, it's a pain (we actually haul 2 around with us), but it's not as bad as it seems. We use ours for the plane and for the rental car and cab rides pre and post cruise. Once on the ship they go into the closet and don't come out again until the cruise is over. If we do excursions with the kids we pick ones that use bus / shuttle transportation where you can't or wouldn't use a car seat or if we are traveling with the grandparents we make arrangements to have them watch the kids onboard while we do our excursion.

Archived