Share your packing tips!

BroncosFan2010

Good point on the weight of the bags. Our new 26" TravelPro weighs less than our older 24" American Tourister. I am hoping to keep us to one checked bag per person, but my wife thinks we are going to have 3 checked bags for a 12 day cruise + 1 pre cruise day in the Baltics. We shall see when packing time arrives. I may have to bring some older casual clothes, underwear and socks we can throw out to make room for the shopping we will do. The good news is that the first checked bag per person is included internationally (on most carriers) so the most we should be paying for is one bag.

Pack all that you can get into your suitcases and then sit on them to get them closed!!! Take at least two per person! You will be amazed how great you will feel when you get home after the cruise and find how little laundry you will have to do because of the unused clothing in your suitcases.:):):)

- Mix and match. I choose base colors like white, beige and black and go from there

- Wear the same things more than once and even twice. No one pays attention, so unless something gets soiled, wear things over. I have gone on one too many trips where I find that I have a few items that i didn't wear at all

- Take 1 pair of dressy shoes, 1 pair of sandals and wear sneakers on the plane.

- if you get to the departing city early, leave all your toiletries at home and buy smaller items only for the cruise and throw away what you dont use (toiletries take up too much space and weight)

- forget all the items that some people suggest like masking tape, extra cords, plugs etc.

- take an extra fold up carry on and pack it in your suitcase in case you buy any items and you need more space

Now if I can just follow my own advice when we leave in 3 weeks on our next cruise.

You know, every one says "no one cares", "no one pays attention". Well, I care, I pay attention and my DH cares and pays attention. All the rest of the time I care what I look like and I care what my DH thinks I look like. I am not going to go on a classy cruise ship and NOT care what I look like. And I am NOT going to wear my clothes 2 & 3 times, unless they have been to the laundry! It is HOT in Caribbean and on the outside decks of the ship, I am not going to wear shorts and tee shirts all day on the ship and sweat and then wear them again! We use the ships laundry and we try to limit the amount of clothes we bring because of that. But I think it is ridiculous to suggest that people wear the same clothes over and over and think no one cares or pays attention, I do! I look at what people wear, some people look GREAT and some people look like the the cat would not drag them in - which would you rather be?

You know, every one says "no one cares", "no one pays attention". Well, I care, I pay attention and my DH cares and pays attention. All the rest of the time I care what I look like and I care what my DH thinks I look like. I am not going to go on a classy cruise ship and NOT care what I look like. And I am NOT going to wear my clothes 2 & 3 times, unless they have been to the laundry! It is HOT in Caribbean and on the outside decks of the ship, I am not going to wear shorts and tee shirts all day on the ship and sweat and then wear them again! We use the ships laundry and we try to limit the amount of clothes we bring because of that. But I think it is ridiculous to suggest that people wear the same clothes over and over and think no one cares or pays attention, I do! I look at what people wear, some people look GREAT and some people look like the the cat would not drag them in - which would you rather be?

You make a good point. I also care about DH and my appearance. I pack enough clothes or plan to do laundry so I am always wearing clean clothes to dinner. However, we are active and do a lot of excursions. So, I am not going to worry about wearing the same pair of shorts on two different excursions if I know I am going to be in my bathing suit most of the time, or just hanging out on a catamaran. That does help limit the numer of clothes I pack. Some items are easier to get away with that than others.

I always pack extra swim trunks. These days, they are so fashionable as shorts..pockets and all. They roll up nice and tight, and can be washed in the sink -as previously mentioned- and dry rather quickly.

As I live in Fla, we drive to ports (Partner WILL NOT FLY...UGh!). We are also generally the same size..so that cuts down on the overpacking.:eek:

We utilize the laundry service heavily so we don't have too much dirty stuff upon returning home.

We usually get it all in one Med/large suitcase, and have a carryon with an extra pair of shorts, undies, and tshirts in case main bag is delayed.

Another thing we do, since we drive, is we utilize a 12-pack cooler for all toilettries. All lotions, shampoos, meds, razors, 'mouthwash'...you name it...all in the shoulder-bag cooler. if something breaks, it is contained in a waterproof bag, and is easily rinsed.

I, alone, have flown to ports. I usually get there a day early, and hit a drugstore to buy travel sizes of what I need. I can replenish my 'stuff' for under $10~!! If I pick up a little six-pack cooler...$12~! I just leave it behind...

At the end of it all, I am on a cruise, darnit!!!

Archived