Dumb Alaska questions. Post yours here. give us a few laughs

ready2travel54

Ok I'll start with my first stupid question I posted on another forum. It was something about going to Kenai. replies asked if I wanted to go to the pennisula or the town. I didn't even realize how huge the area was and that I was talking about a pennisula.

On our first cruise to Glacier Bay, we had a lecturer who talked about glaciers a couple of days earlier and then gave a running commentary during our visit. Someone came up to him and asked, "How far above sea level are we?" He answered, "Since we are on deck 10, I would say about 100 feet."

We didn't see any whales.

Ummm, you have to be actively looking for them. They just don't show up at a certain time and place and smile for you..... :)

Saw a few dall porpoises. Heard someone on another balcony go 'wow, baby orcas'. Didn't see any mommies nearby! :D

On our first cruise to Glacier Bay, we had a lecturer who talked about glaciers a couple of days earlier and then gave a running commentary during our visit. Someone came up to him and asked, "How far above sea level are we?" He answered, "Since we are on deck 10, I would say about 100 feet."

My mother has a heart condition that limits her to elevations that are lower than 4,000 feet. She wanted to take a trip up to Glacier National Park and Yellowstone this summer and I nixed that idea due to the elevation. She then decided that she might try to cruise to Alaska.

Someone that I was telling this to informed me that my mother would be experiencing high altitudes in Alaska just as much as she would in Yellowstone. I calmly informed that individual that she would be on a cruise ship. This did not deter her one bit. She informed me that Alaska is much higher than California. I just looked at her for a few seconds and very quietly stated " Yes, the latitude is higher in Alaska, but the elevation at sea level is still sea level." I am still not sure if she "got it" or if she thinks that I am just stupid.

Nothing to do with cruising, but years ago when my wife worked at Sears, in Vancouver BC, and one time young American couple walked in. My wife swears that this is true. The guy asked the girl where they should spend the afternoon.

Her reply 'LET'S GO TO ALASKA'.:eek:

john

It's amazing how geographically impaired some people are! A few years ago I told a co-worker we were going to New Mexico on vacation and she asked if we were "taking a cruise there"! Duh! It's tough getting those ships up the Rio Grande!!:eek:

Actually in New Mexico magazine they have a feature called "one of our 50 is missing" about people who have no idea New Mexico is a state. I bet Alaskans could compare notes with New Mexicans.

Do they take American money in Alaska? (Yes, someone actually asked that on CC.)

It seems an odd question, but some regions of other currencies actually print local currency; for example Scotland. Scotland is not a country in it's own right (part of the UK), but issues "Bank of Scotland" banknotes.

The question was "How do you make it to work in the winter with all the snow?" The Alaska native's answer was "Dogsled." Then after a few seconds she said "No, I drive my car!!!"

You would have had to see the look on everyone's face to really appreciate the humor.

This is absolutely no joke. I was on a tour one day and was describing how much rain Ketchikan gets. A hand shot up and someone asked "When it rains....does it rain saltwater or freshwater?"

I was....stunned to say the least.

Probably the worst part is that I often tell this story and I'm amazed at how many people say "So what is the answer?" :-)

Rene

This is absolutely no joke. I was on a tour one day and was describing how much rain Ketchikan gets. A hand shot up and someone asked "When it rains....does it rain saltwater or freshwater?"

I was....stunned to say the least.

Probably the worst part is that I often tell this story and I'm amazed at how many people say "So what is the answer?" :-)

Rene

Perhaps what they say about the education in our country is true?

Do they take American money in Alaska
If you get there quick, you might just get it at par.

At the rate of speed that the government presses are printing money, you better get there really really quick. A dollar might be worth 50 cents if they keep it up. :mad:

A long time ago I worked just outside Washington DC. I was talking to a customer on the phone. He asked where I was, I replied Washington DC. he then asked if I could see Mt. St. Helens...

A quick note on the Bank of Scotland. As I understand it, Scotland is a separate enity, as is England. Both are part of Great Britain / United Kingdom...

While kayaking in Chilkoot Lake in Haines, we came up on an area with salmon rolling around near the shore. There were these really big, ugly birds hanging out and I asked the guide when the eagles feed on the salmon.....he looked at me and said "right now, those are baby eagles!" I felt so stupid and really bad because I had no idea they started out so fluffy and ugly!

While kayaking in Chilkoot Lake in Haines, we came up on an area with salmon rolling around near the shore. There were these really big, ugly birds hanging out and I asked the guide when the eagles feed on the salmon.....he looked at me and said "right now, those are baby eagles!" I felt so stupid and really bad because I had no idea they started out so fluffy and ugly!

Kudos to you for posting your own dumb question! I much prefer people who can laugh at themselves! Much better than laughing at others! :D

"Polar Bears during Alaska Cruise?"

And in multiple formats---

"Is Antarctica only place to do penquin viewing? Any tour companies offer that tour? We are doing southbound cruisetour w/HAL in July, 2009."

"Ketchikan--Scuba diving and snorkelling (how does it compare to Cancun? Malaysia?) Where can we see penguins?"

Overheard this on a cruise ship a few years ago. A woman was asking one of the officers:

Which way does this staircase go?:eek:

I couldn't believe it. And to his credit, the officer kept a straight face and actually answered that she could choose to go up or down but could he be of further assistance and asked where she was trying to go.

Gail

Okay, since Dan encouraged the Mea Culpa approach to this thread - about day 3 into rapidly planning our Alaska cruise I asked this beauty on another travel site:

What are the chances of seeing the Northern Lights?

(Pretty much zero the last week of June, with 22 hours of daylight. DOH!!!!!!)

;) regretfully yours,

Kirsten

Archived